• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Personal Reticle Preference

AussieShooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 27, 2005
Australia
I am after individuals personal reticle preferences and reasons behind their choice.

I am tossing up between the P4 fine with MSR or the Horus series.

The main function will be shooting at extreme ranges (up to and exceeding 2000m).

From what I understand the P4 Fine with MSR allows for a better target view (less clogging off the target due to line thickness) and the Horus series allows for fast follow up shots but with the detriment of a series of thick lines at the higher zoom, that may block the required target view and may not even offer an accurate enough point on the grid for a correction hold.

I don't have the opportunity to view both these optics side by side and will have to go on the merits of any pros and cons.

I look forward to hearing from shooters that shoot at extended ranges who have shot using both these reticles and ended up choosing one or the other.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Interesting thread. You might also check out what guys are running in the ELR section.

Sounds like you're planning a S&B ?

Based off my very limited ELR experience, I would not even consider a Horus for this particular adventure. My experience has only been with the H59, but for spotting and shooting at 1000m+, I found it very difficult to use and most importantly, way too thick. Perhaps with more time behind it, the .2 hashes would be useful but not for me. We were shooting at fairly large targets though, 18" and 36" circles at 1650m. I didn't find myself making 'rapid' follow ups like I do when I screw up a wind call at 'short' range. I wasn't waiting minutes between shots, but I'd see a correction, make it and send another down range. The flight time itself makes 'rapid' follow ups a nonstarter in my opinion.

I have a great thread about the MSR vs P4F bookmarked somewhere. If I can find it, I'll PM it to you. Given those two, I'd probably go for the MSR simply because of the additional miling and ranging features in the reticle. I'd give real serious consideration to the reticle thickness.

Not to stir the pot, but isn't the MSR II addressing the reticle thickness at 0 to be more fine ?

btw - what's this going to ride on top of ?

I had a look through the 5-25x56 and then saw the 3-27x56 which is supposed to be leaps and bounds above the 5-25. I liked the MSR but wanted to know what others thought.

I am looking at building a 338LM or 375 CT.

I have access to an extremely large property with large animals and long distance targets.

Anyone tried the H2CMR1?

I'm liking the 1/2 reticle illumination with dots at the .1 MRad.

I have a 5-25X with it. I went with it because it was almost immediatly understandable when I looked at it. I am a scope newb I liked the simplicity. I havent done ELR but it works well for what I can get - 600 yards.

It will do everything MSR can right off the two stadia. Its uncluttered. I was going to get an MSR but switched to H2CMR when I gave it a real look.

Comp guys like it due to the .2 mil wind holds. I guess it can be a fast reticle if you need it to be.

I don't know what you have available to you in terms of optics. And from what I hear importing over there can be a PITA. But I will share my experience with such optics. My 338 wears a Premier Heritage 5-25 with the Gen II XR reticle. This reticle is by far my favorite for ELR use. It is not overly cluttered while providing good holds. Other then that I will only say the Premier is a good choice as is S&B. And when picking top tier optics the decision largely boils down to personal choice. So guys swear by the Horus reticles and really like them, other the P4F, and other the Gen II XR. And what you like and are looking for is a question only you can answer.

The reason I was going to go with the S&B is that I would be purchasing the 36 MRad that none of the other optics offer.
This with the Sphur 13 MRad will give me more than enough to take which ever calibre rifle I get made.

It seems that I'm going to have to wait until the MSR.

The reason I was going to go with the S&B is that I would be purchasing the 36 MRad that none of the other optics offer.
This with the Sphur 13 MRad will give me more than enough to take which ever calibre rifle I get made.
Disregard my bad. I read 13 Mrad as 13 MOA. You have it right.

Last edited:
MSR has vertical hairline holdover hashes for extreme elevations, even 10mil marks with numbers and wider hashmark in every 5mil mark.

Particular idea with these is extreme shooting distance where elevation travel bottoms before sufficient ajustment has reached.
These marks are useful in lower mag wide angle target acquisition as well.