• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Personal Trainer?

wmsracer

Private
Minuteman
Mar 22, 2009
DeLand, FL
If you don't have one, you should get one...

They cost less than your car payment and you will get more satisfaction.

Your not as smart, strong or fast as you could be.

Re: Personal Trainer?

Just read a little bit and you will know more than 99% of PTs out there. No need to pay when all the info is at your fingertips at no cost.

I'm pretty sure that a personal trainer could help me get faster and stronger, if I were willing to work to be faster and stronger, but <span style="font-style: italic">smarter?</span> I think not.

For that amount of money per year, I could spend a month on the beach at Nice. I'd rather be in the south of France.

If you don't use a training partner or don't know proper form, then a personal trainer is great. Most I have met don't know as much as they should to be giving the advise they do.

They definitely have their place though.

Training alone with heavy weight is never a smart move. I have a close friend that is a personal trainer, but being he is my friend we workout together instead of me having to pay his sorry ass!

My wife is my personal trainer
cry.gif

Damn that rocks!! I'm kinda like Lindy, I hit it 4 days a week and have occasionally used a PT and I'll admit they are a valuable resource when ya need em.

I been doing this a long time and although I don't care about going to France, I could use the money for more pleasure than pain!!

If you train smart you can train heavy alone. I do and a lot of other people do too.

I check in with a personal training maybe once or twice a year. I look for them to critique my form and look for little mistakes in my lifting techniques. I guess its like shooting, I have been doing it along time but there is always something you could be doing better or information to get from someone.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KansasMag</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just read a little bit and you will know more than 99% of PTs out there. No need to pay when all the info is at your fingertips at no cost. </div></div>

Very true. It doesn't take much to be a personal trainer. I have met a few good ones and a lot that were far from it.

I've worked in gyms. You would be surprised how poorly qualified most "trainers" are. I agree that like shooting, quality instruction will benefit anyone. My problem is finding a local trainer I trust.

Just my two cents,
-Chris

A good personal trainer can add value to any ones personal fitness goals. Benefits include:
1. Get you up and running faster after an injury.
2. Help prevent future injury.
3. Motivate you to reach levels of performance and achievement you never thought possible.

I knew a guy who worked side jobs as a personal trainer. His full time job was coach/trainer for the Canadian National Rowing Team. I saw first hand what he could do for others and I will tell you it was amazing.

Moral of the story...don't be so fast to dismiss the idea of finding a good personal trainer and paying for their services. It can be money very well spent if you are into fitness for the long haul. You really need to make physical fitness and proper diet part of your life and work it into your everyday life style; otherwise you are really wasting your effort. If nothing else, consider as some have already said, connect with a personal trainer a few times during the year.

And no, I'm not a personal trainer and don't have any agenda other than to share the good word concerning the benefits!

I am a personal trainer and owned a gym for years.
A good personal trainer with proper training will get you to your goals, prevent injury, and teach you how to work smarter not harder. That being said, most trainers have no education and suck. There is no standardized credentials for being a trainer, you can pay $200, take a test and get a piece of paper that says you are a nationally accredited trainer.
It is tough to find a good trainer, the National Academy of Sports Medicine is a very hard certification to get and you have to understand anatomy, bio-mechanics and kinesiology.
Most trainers I have met are trainer because they have lifted weight for a long time and think they are now qualified to teach others. If you shovel rocks all day, it does not make you a geologist.

Even if you have an ACSM or NSCA cert, it doesn't mean you can apply any of this book knowledge to actual training. I have seen this firsthand. Certifications are a way for people to make money more than anything. If you look at the websites, the classes and certs are shown with how much they cost, not what jobs you can get after you are certified.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KansasMag</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Even if you have an ACSM or NSCA cert, it doesn't mean you can apply any of this book knowledge to actual training. I have seen this firsthand. Certifications are a way for people to make money more than anything. If you look at the websites, the classes and certs are shown with how much they cost, not what jobs you can get after you are certified. </div></div>

EXACTLY !!!

thats why when choosing a trainer their needs to be an extensive interview and referances to see what kind of results can be had.
Most trainers in every gym i've been to are simply some people that like the gym to much to leave and for the most part very few of them can help you out any more than you can help your self but reading

now on the other hand if your willing to spend the money on a trainer that has more than just some on line courses you can be helped out alot as a good trainer doen't just show you how to lift properly but makes sure that your nutrition and rest needs are met also , so when hiring a trainer ask about what education they have in nutrition and physiology. Not saying that they must have a degree in said courses but at least a vast amount of knowledge
I pay my trainer $300 for 6months training and diet for the off season and $700 for a 16 week contest prep.
$1000 a year for me to have to worry WAY less about what I need to eat and train from week to week is a huge investment for me and my trainer makes quick accurate evaluations of the changes that the diet and training are having and adjust accordingly.

People have to remember that muscles are not made in the gym , they are made in the kitchen and in your bed!! so some clown at the health club telling you that your form is good or bad may be helpfull with optimizing your training and may keep you from getting hurt thats all they are doing for you if they arn't working on your diet and rest needs

And you don't need to go see your trainer weekly , I never actualy met my trainer face to face only over E-mail and telephone as he is 1800 miles away from me but he answers all my question almost instantly via phone and e-mail.

Check his web site and shoot him an e-mail to discuss your goals
http://www.prepbyalex.com/

I'm 47 and began using a PT three years ago. The best money I've ever spent, including on guns, ammo & gear, is on a personal trainer. Require a good one to be properly certified, available, affable, able and provide nutrition counseling. He should provide a diet. When coupled with the workout program results will be impossible to hide and you won't have to buy clothes to make you look good because you will make the clothes look good.

For me an important part of having one is getting to the appointment whereas otherwise I might not even go to the gym that day.

Use him or her three days weekly, more or less. Cost may be from $25 to $50/hr. unless you're in Beverly Hills for example.

MOST IMPORTANTLY: warm and stretch before, and cool down and stretch after.

Don't work out more than 5 consecutive days in a week unless you're training for something special. Take off a week every three months. Take off a month every year. Instead of training, do a little aerobic stuff like treadmill or Yoga during the off times if you wish.

The real truth: the girls will admire your guns & buns, and so will your friends! Lol.