• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Peterson brass?

Friday

The Hay King
Minuteman
Dec 28, 2018
Northern Nevada
Anyone using Peterson brass in 6mm CM? I tried alpha and it was complete garbage it was extremely soft and smeared all over my bolt face so I have necked down some Lapua brass and it’s working well but I would rather run Lapua in my 6.5 cm and something else in my 6mm

Im using peterson brass for my 300 norma seems like great brass so far. Promer pockets have a great solid feel when seating a primer.

A much thicker neck indeed. My first go round, I could seat a bullet in a fired case that had been primed and charged and probably fire the damn thing. I never tried, but the neck tension was there.

I do believe that the chamber might have been cut on the small side in the neck portion and the combination of the two is what made it so tight.

I then went down the path of neck turning to fix it. Never. Again. Neck turning is a ginormous pain in the ass.

It’s good stuff. My loaded rounds are .272 and change, and my reamer has a .275 neck. Saami 6cm neck diameter is .277.

Last edited:
Perfect, well the nice thing about it is I can buy 50 at a time so that will be nice, I ran alpha in my 6.5 creedmoor and it is pretty good brass but nothing like Lapua and I tried alpha again in my 6mm cm and that batch was just complete garbage 27 were ruined first time fire and that was at 39 grains of H4350 and 115 dtac I run 40 grains of H4350 and no signs of pressure at all in Lapua brass and they weigh within .3 grains of each other so alpha is a .3 heavier on average so not that much different. But it was weird I’d fire that alpha brass and it would get stuck in my chamber smear the brass all over my bolt face so bad that reading the bottom of the brass was tricky. It was like incredibly soft.

A much thicker neck indeed. My first go round, I could seat a bullet in a fired case that had been primed and charged and probably fire the damn thing. I never tried, but the neck tension was there.

I do believe that the chamber might have been cut on the small side in the neck portion and the combination of the two is what made it so tight.

I then went down the path of neck turning to fix it. Never. Again. Neck turning is a ginormous pain in the ass.

My chamber was setup for Norma brass and did the exact same thing. Fired brass didn't need to be resized, neck tension was still .002".

Perfect, well the nice thing about it is I can buy 50 at a time so that will be nice, I ran alpha in my 6.5 creedmoor and it is pretty good brass but nothing like Lapua and I tried alpha again in my 6mm cm and that batch was just complete garbage 27 were ruined first time fire and that was at 39 grains of H4350 and 115 dtac I run 40 grains of H4350 and no signs of pressure at all in Lapua brass and they weigh within .3 grains of each other so alpha is a .3 heavier on average so not that much different. But it was weird I’d fire that alpha brass and it would get stuck in my chamber smear the brass all over my bolt face so bad that reading the bottom of the brass was tricky. It was like incredibly soft.

I’d wager to guess it might be chamber / brass incompatibilities between those two variables; not the premium brass

I couldn’t tell you honestly I know I’ve shot Hornady starline alpha and Lapua out of it and alpha was complete trash and the rest shot fine, but I like Lapua so far the best but I was neck sizing my 6.5 cm brass and I don’t want to do that so that’s why I’m asking about Peterson brass, and if the reviews were not going to be good then I would of just got Lapua brass for it which I may still do but it doesn’t hurt to try new things.

I have also been using Peterson brass in a 300NM and am on my 8th reloading. FL resized last 5 times and trimmed once. Can't tell any difference from new.

I use Peterson in 6mm Creedmoor. I really like it and find it to be every bit as good as Lapua.
I use Lapua in 6.5 C and 6 Dasher. I use the Peterson exclusively in 6 Creed.

I have a 6 CM and before Lapua brass was available, I reloaded Hornady first, and then Peterson. Honestly, I had some issues with Peterson (not as many as Hornady, though). First off, I noticed that on a few casings, the primer hole was a little off center. I also had some issues with the primer pockets being too tight. I broke A LOT of depriming pins on the Peterson brass... and I mean A LOT. I've never broken a pin on any other case. I finally went to a handheld depriming tool with a hardened steel pin. I actually use this for everything now, so it worked out, but still...

Anyway, using Peterson, I was fighting to get to 3/4 MOA groups at 100 yards in my factory Bergara HMR Pro. At 300, I was lucky to get 1 MOA - though, some of this was due to my failing eyesight impacting me at this range - something I've since fixed with prescription shooting glasses. The first time I went to the range with new Lapua brass, the image below was my best 5-shot group at 100 yards - all were in the 1/2 MOA ballpark. I was shocked at the consistency difference between the brass. Again, this was out of the box new Lapua brass, and it performed better than reloaded, properly sized, prepped Peterson. All I had done to the Lapua in this pic was deburr the primer hole and chamfer the neck before loading it.

I'm going to the 100 yard range tomorrow to get my new 300 PRC barrel broken in. The friend I'm going with loves my Bergara, so I'm taking it along. I've got 50 rounds of Peterson brass loaded, and maybe 30 Lapua. The Peterson has been filtered based on primer hole consistency, so this should be more consistent than out-of-the-box casings. I'll let my friend fire 30 or so of the Peterson, then I'll do a side by side comparison (same day, same rifle, same shooter) of Peterson vs. Lapua and post the results.

EDIT: I have not fired filtered/sorted Peterson brass before, so I am interested in seeing the results.

Attachments

• New Lapua 100yd 6mm.jpg
    New Lapua 100yd 6mm.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 87
I have a 6 CM and before Lapua brass was available, I reloaded Hornady first, and then Peterson. Honestly, I had some issues with Peterson (not as many as Hornady, though). First off, I noticed that on a few casings, the primer hole was a little off center. I also had some issues with the primer pockets being too tight. I broke A LOT of depriming pins on the Peterson brass... and I mean A LOT. I've never broken a pin on any other case. I finally went to a handheld depriming tool with a hardened steel pin. I actually use this for everything now, so it worked out, but still...

Anyway, using Peterson, I was fighting to get to 3/4 MOA groups at 100 yards in my factory Bergara HMR Pro. At 300, I was lucky to get 1 MOA - though, some of this was due to my failing eyesight impacting me at this range - something I've since fixed with prescription shooting glasses. The first time I went to the range with new Lapua brass, the image below was my best 5-shot group at 100 yards - all were in the 1/2 MOA ballpark. I was shocked at the consistency difference between the brass. Again, this was out of the box new Lapua brass, and it performed better than reloaded, properly sized, prepped Peterson. All I had done to the Lapua in this pic was deburr the primer hole and chamfer the neck before loading it.

I'm going to the 100 yard range tomorrow to get my new 300 PRC barrel broken in. The friend I'm going with loves my Bergara, so I'm taking it along. I've got 50 rounds of Peterson brass loaded, and maybe 30 Lapua. The Peterson has been filtered based on primer hole consistency, so this should be more consistent than out-of-the-box casings. I'll let my friend fire 30 or so of the Peterson, then I'll do a side by side comparison (same day, same rifle, same shooter) of Peterson vs. Lapua and post the results.

EDIT: I have not fired filtered/sorted Peterson brass before, so I am interested in seeing the results.

You should have contacted peterson, they probably would have replaced them all. What you’re describing isn’t the norm.

Last edited:
Reactions: 260284
I bought a 100 to try in my 6.5 SLR I had been using Winchester brass and to say I was impressed is an understatement, I had a 3.5 SD over 10 rounds. I bought 500 more these are 260 SRP and are very consistent on weight. I did not use Lapua as I did not want to neck turn

Went with Peterson SRP for 6 CM before Lapua started producing. Been running Lapua in 260 and 6.5 for years... No issues with the Peterson brass.

I debur flash holes as a matter of routine when initiating new brass. With Norma and Lapua there is a moderate amount cutting required. With Peterson it was about 1/2 what I was previously familiar getting, so I ran a scope into several cases and the flash hole were surprisingly clean and uniform. Required very little to get them uniform.

Reactions: PorkChop

Hey Rocketmandb
Just curious what kind of reloading dies you using for your 6cm? Have you prepped and run the once fired Lapua brass through your dies is it still shooting good groups as the new Lapua out of the box? Or is it similar to the Peterson brass. I been running Hornady in my 6cm I been thinking about trying alpha,Peterson or Lapua brass in mine to try some small rifle primered brass. I can’t complain about the Hornady it’s ran pretty good so far.

Hey Rocketmandb
Just curious what kind of reloading dies you using for your 6cm? Have you prepped and run the once fired Lapua brass through your dies is it still shooting good groups as the new Lapua out of the box? Or is it similar to the Peterson brass. I been running Hornady in my 6cm I been thinking about trying alpha,Peterson or Lapua brass in mine to try some small rifle primered brass. I can’t complain about the Hornady it’s ran pretty good so far.

It shoots better after it's fired once since you get fire formed brass to resize, though so did the Peterson and Hornady. For me with Hornady, it's a matter of brass prep and longevity. With Lapua, you need to do very little prep. When I first got my Lapua brass, I went to the range expecting to have worse groups than my Peterson - I hadn't fire formed it yet. I fired the first shot - hey, it worked! I fired the second shot - Where did it go? I had to look through the spotting scope to see that it was essentially in the same hole. My first thought was, "well, that was lucky." Then the next shot was touching, then the next, etc. I hadn't expected that with first-fire brass.

Fast forward to now. I recently got my 300 WM rechambered in 300 PRC and all my rifle time has been spent with it and I've had no time with the 6mm. The only issue I have with the rifle/round is that the only brass available right now is Hornady. I have had to do significantly more brass prep with it, and I've already got cases with loosening primer pockets. Additionally, every time I fire, when I uniform the primer pockets, I get material coming off. With my Lapua brass, I seldom uniform because very little, if any, material comes out.

As for dies, I use Hornady match grade dies - FL resizing and mic'd seater die. I don't like their brass, but I like their dies and love their gizmos.

Reactions: Lasor1
Thanks for the info I may have to try some Lapua brass soon. I am also using the Hornady match grade dies as well. On my 6cm

I recently acquired some 338 Lapua Peterson brass, primer openings appear to be deburred.

I Have 4 firings on some of the Peterson srp brass that I bought for a new 6.5 Creed barrel. If I remember right, it weighs 7-9 grains more than Lapua, so I started my load work up low. I ended at 41.4 of Re16 under the 140 ELDM and 143 ELDX w/CCI450 primers. Getting 2815-2835 fps with the two bullets. I also use the Hornady match grade bushing dies in 6.5 Creed and .223, they work great.