• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Petition to Remington - Produce 260 Brass

Do you have specific knowledge that made you arrive at the 1 million piece run number or is this just a guess?

If it it a fact based target, then it actually is achievable, but it would take someone who was dedicated to driving the group buy and making it happen.

I believe that was the number to get 6mm creedmoor brass.

I think the price difference between RP and Winchester vs. Lapua is highly overstated.

Yes, the pricetag on Lapua is essentially twice that of RP/Win, but relative to the actual costs of using that brass, it's a drop in the bucket.

I only "lose" brass at tactical matches, or when it wears out.

Wearing out: When working with a new rifle I'll usually end up wasting a couple pieces of brass from loose primer pockets after repeated firings - finding the load that produces the best accuracy at the best velocity whilst still providing for repeated reloads. So, of those 10pcs wasted, the difference between having wasted RP/Win instead of Lapua is ~$5. Hardly worth crying over.

Let's forget about the fact that Lapua will outlast RP/Win (assuming moderate/safe pressures), and just assume any of these headstamps will last ~10 firings, which is entirely reasonable.

250-300pcs is enough to wear out a 260. Over the course of those ~3000 rounds or so, you'll have spent ~$400 on powder, $100 on primers, nearly $1000 on bullets, and of course $300-1000 on the barrel/gunsmithing itself, to say nothing of the expenses of gunclub memberships, fuel to get to/from the range, match fees etc etc etc.

The price difference between Lapua and RP/Win is ~$150 for those ~300pcs of brass.

So after spending thousands of dollars in stuff so you could play/train and shoot out a 260 barrel, you're going to quibble about $150 extra on brass? To say nothing of the fact it's "higher quality" brass that you're probably getting some additional service from....

Losing brass: The price hit here sucks more than it does for wearing out brass, but it's still not that big a deal. You basically only "lose" brass from shooting at tactical matches. Plus, you don't honestly lost that much. I think most match shooters would agree they don't lose more than 25% of their brass on average, if they at least give their brass search "the old college try". To recover 75% of your brass, you don't have to be "that guy".

So, you go to a match, fire 200 rounds and lose 50pcs. It just cost you $25 extra to lose new Lapua instead of new RP/Win. That's $25 on top of the ~$250 match fee, the $250 you spent on lodging, the $200 you spent on fuel to get to/from the match, and on and on and on.

Losing your precious brass sucks, yes. But in what is an expensive hobby/past time, I just don't think using readily available Lapua is that big of a deal.

OK, that makes sense.

Like I said, it is doable. But one has to ask; for a special order of that nature and quantity, looking for premium quality brass, will there be a price benefit in the end? Or will it amount to chasing something simply to avoid buying Lapua brass for principles' sake? I personally don't know. I'm just asking the questions I ask in any situation of this nature.

EDIT: My response was to Rhyno above and I agree pretty much with what HogdonExtreme says, even though I am not currently shooting Lapua brass in my .260.

Last edited:
Do you have specific knowledge that made you arrive at the 1 million piece run number or is this just a guess?

If it it a fact based target, then it actually is achievable, but it would take someone who was dedicated to driving the group buy and making it happen.

Yes,..I speak with experience in manufacture of ammunition from a manufacturing standpoint.

If a single line can produce approx 1 million per month then it does not warrant setup time and costs to dedicate a line to one calibre unless there is a months paid for production at the end of it.

Its simple economics.

I think the price difference between RP and Winchester vs. Lapua is highly overstated.

Yes, the pricetag on Lapua is essentially twice that of RP/Win, but relative to the actual costs of using that brass, it's a drop in the bucket.

I only "lose" brass at tactical matches, or when it wears out.

Wearing out: When working with a new rifle I'll usually end up wasting a couple pieces of brass from loose primer pockets after repeated firings - finding the load that produces the best accuracy at the best velocity whilst still providing for repeated reloads. So, of those 10pcs wasted, the difference between having wasted RP/Win instead of Lapua is ~$5. Hardly worth crying over.

Let's forget about the fact that Lapua will outlast RP/Win (assuming moderate/safe pressures), and just assume any of these headstamps will last ~10 firings, which is entirely reasonable.

250-300pcs is enough to wear out a 260. Over the course of those ~3000 rounds or so, you'll have spent ~$400 on powder, $100 on primers, nearly $1000 on bullets, and of course $300-1000 on the barrel/gunsmithing itself, to say nothing of the expenses of gunclub memberships, fuel to get to/from the range, match fees etc etc etc.

The price difference between Lapua and RP/Win is ~$150 for those ~300pcs of brass.

So after spending thousands of dollars in stuff so you could play/train and shoot out a 260 barrel, you're going to quibble about $150 extra on brass? To say nothing of the fact it's "higher quality" brass that you're probably getting some additional service from....

Losing brass: The price hit here sucks more than it does for wearing out brass, but it's still not that big a deal. You basically only "lose" brass from shooting at tactical matches. Plus, you don't honestly lost that much. I think most match shooters would agree they don't lose more than 25% of their brass on average, if they at least give their brass search "the old college try". To recover 75% of your brass, you don't have to be "that guy".

So, you go to a match, fire 200 rounds and lose 50pcs. It just cost you $25 extra to lose new Lapua instead of new RP/Win. That's $25 on top of the ~$250 match fee, the $250 you spent on lodging, the $200 you spent on fuel to get to/from the match, and on and on and on.

Losing your precious brass sucks, yes. But in what is an expensive hobby/past time, I just don't think using readily available Lapua is that big of a deal.

Very well put. The reality is few anneal or even expect the brass they have to last five fireings. Its also a subjective statement as clearly hot loads may only last three fireings or even one: it depends on the calibre too!

I have RP brass, Lapua and some resized military brass and commercial RWS for my .260. The RP shoots fine albeit if you get anal and weigh the batches then you will see variance greater than Lapua or perhaps RWS? Reality check: none of it will shoot benchrest much less last 10 firings without care and/or sheer luck.

Military brass is often premium brass,..

The brass I currently use for my .308 is the same I would specify for a .260 run. It shoots. Its reloadable. I use fairly stiff loads and most of my brass still has tight primer pockets and life in it after 5 firings. Given the actual cost I will scrap at 6 firings and recover at least 20% of the initial cost from the scrap dealer!

Good brass doesn't have to cost a fortune,...............

I've never cared for Rem brass in any caliber. Just not as consistent as other. I used W-W 7/08 to form .260.