• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Photos PGM .338LM PSR SOCOM with 100% titanium TT

RollingThunder51

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 15, 2009
U.S.A.
Two remarkable products.

One of the shortest, lightest, quietest .338 units extant. Made out of 100% titanium, fully deep weld (high penetration) and is 9.2", 5/8", weighing in at 19.8 oz. AWC.

The PGM here is the new French platform adopted broadly in Europe and submitted for the SOCOM .338 solicitation. Documented, 1,500 meter submin performance.

"I will say this because of the NDA's, there was no competition, one unit stood out above all the rest in regard to performance, construction and execution and that unit, well that unit allowed us to shoot the .338 without any hearing protection." NA GM PGM

Re: PGM .338LM PSR SOCOM with 100% titanium TT

Time to dress up that scope.... Very nice stick
wink.gif

The can is the latest Gen Thundertrap. To get the strength in the envelope required to properly support the 360 high penetration welding, get the 5/8" diameter and the end cap strength required, it is cut out of American Ti block solid. It becomes the T.H.O.R. (Thermal High Order Radiant) late October. It took close to $500k of new equipment. The first . 308 in the same can shipped to Marines last week.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"I will say this because of the NDA's, there was no competition, one unit stood out above all the rest in regard to performance"</div></div>

Are you sure no other .338 LM platform outperformed the PGM in the PSR solicitation?

How did you come by this information?

Fredo,

Not sure what you mean? Its the "PGW" that has me looped.

The statement was from North American PGM GM in regard to the suppressor selection for their rifle system. The quote was given to me directly from him. Very articulate guy...but those are his words on the net, net.

From can failures, barrel shortenings, weld failures, delays and set-backs. From the Piiiinnnnngggg to the Riiiinnnnnnggg, to the Big Cans, to the cracks, drop test dismisals, etc. .338 is massive pressure, a great round to seperate the best cans from the rest and the right solicitation to judge resulting accuracy of those very same cans. These are the same cans that took the heat of the M249 dumps for MARSOC. Rock solid.

http://www.pgmprecision.com/en_US/fusils/pgm338.html

Hope that helps, come back if not.

Just a little foggy on the details. So the "can" performed the best? Or both the rifle and the can?

It's ongoing. A good number of surprises. The "stories" are legion. Down to titanium (brass) tacks now, Those that remain are truely outstanding hardware. Allot going on technologically in regard to materials and most importantly manufacturing. All of it long overdue.

Note: Got it now...your talking about the soliciation, I'm talking about how PGM came to select their can. When I saw a pic of the PGM with the can, I called them up and asked them "why did you select that can?" The quote is as you see it. I have no clue as to how their system is performing next to any other, just what PGM's experience was in putting together what they believed to be the best possible combination.

Still curious about who exactly is supplying the information.

I would imagine that every offering has their own perspective on their efforts. Some providers came forward with their own platform and their own suppressors. No mystery as to who these folks would be. As one component failed, they would source other alternatives in the open market and it would become pretty clear as to what and why that hapened. No mystery there either. In the case of the selection of suppressor for the PGM, they looked at a broad and deep spectrum of providers for their can. As they developed what they felt was their best offering the cans distilled out quickly. After suppression, after accuracy, after build materials and quality of construction and finish, after strength and heat diffusion, then comes the issue of dealing with the actual company. The expectations are high, the aluminum, low penetration (no penetration), tack or thread, and thin wall lathe shop days are effectively coming to a close. The .338 is a great cartridge to have had this happen with. All that occurs within the actual soliciation is unknown to anyone. Only time will tell what the end outcome is. Whatever it is, it moves everything forward and is very healthy for developement.

These are days of consolidation for many can shops. Others have never been more busy.