• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes PH Parallex

HOG0317

Private
Minuteman
Dec 30, 2008
Long Beach, CA
Is the parallex adjustment knob on the PH scopes marked with yard lines or not?

Also, does anyone know if it's possible to custom order a USO SN-3 with the MTC option like a S&B or PH?

Thanks, Mike

Re: PH Parallex

Well, you could mark it yourself. Before doing so, you might want to make sure the settings are the same on all magnifications. Personally, I've never seen the need for that, but tastes, I am reliably informed, vary.
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hydro556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wish Premier would mark them. It doesnt have to be dead on, but some point of reference would be nice.</div></div>

At least mark 50yds, infinity, and a hash at halfway just so you can tell at a glance where you sit without having to get behind the rifle and start cranking back and forth.

Unfortunately it would be very difficult to mark the parallax knob so that it would be even close to the right setting due to the optical design of the scopes.

Supposedly Premier is going to offer a slip-on ring that indicates distance on the parallax knob. They had pictures of their prototype on SH a few months ago, but I haven't heard any updates. I e-mailed them for more information when I first saw the picture and they told me to just be patient.

In the meantime, someone here on SH gave me some good advice;

With the finger and thumb of your left hand on the parallax knob, begin rotating. If rotating your hand causes your thumb to point further down range, you are adjusted for longer distances. Likewise, if the rotation causes your thumb to point back toward you, you are adjusting for shorter distances.

Maybe it's just me, I just dont get the need for parallax markings.
The other scopes that I have that do have markings are not precise indicators and I have always adjusted off what me own eyes tell me.

Moving the knob/or thumb forward seems natural at extending your range or opposite applies as well.
It honestly feels just as natural and easy to adjust without a visual as elevation and windage IMO.

Frankly I like clean and simple and they could have just as well left off the illumination digits also.
Now I won't go as far as to say that leaving off the markings for the elevation/windage would be wise, but damn the MTC adjustments make it very doable and quickly in low light.

If they could make a slip ring for the guys that want one great, I personally could use a ARD/Shade myself
wink.gif

Did I say, I really like this scope
grin.gif

On most others I have had the parallax markings werent very accurate. On mu S&B PMII it seems pretty much dead on. Almost to the point that you could get a decent range estimation with it.

It seems to me that if done properly, you could make a rangefinder of the parallax. ??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It seems to me that if done properly, you could make a rangefinder of the parallax. ??</div></div>

That's a common practice among airgun shooters. It's fine for short distances, but not accurate enough for precision rifle use at longer distances.

I got my PH 5-25x56 a couple of weeks ago and besides the sessions on the range I've taken it hunting on 5-6 occasions. Mainly because I was curious about about how the new scope would handle the poor light conditions of dusk and dawn. Overall I'm relly pleased with the performance of the scope. But the topic of this thread is parallax and I've been using the parallax frequently during the last weeks. I find it pretty easy to adjust the parallax based on what I see in the scope an haven't found the lack of markings on the parallax turret to cause any problems.
What I have found is that I have to change the parallax when I change magnification, which I do frequently when I'm hunting. It's not a big problem but I cannot recall that I've have to change parallax as often on my PM II. It could be that my memory are playing tricks with me (wouldn't be the first time ;))
Maybe Triggermonkey would have a explanation to this? I'm not sure if the answer is to be found in the construction of the scope?

All in all I'm really happy with the performance of the scope even though I manage to break/lose both the scope caps within 3 hours of hunting.

Best Regards,
Henrik