• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision phenom? nox? pulsar? mh25? other?

That’s definitely the easier route, I’m thinking. Nox18 with a D-14 bridge. I’m just having a hard time imagining having two very different images feeding each eye. I’m sure with some practice it would work, but from my experience there are some people that just can’t make that kind of stuff work in other areas (ex Trijicon BAC).

Reactions: shoobe01
...I’m just having a hard time imagining having two very different images feeding each eye. I’m sure with some practice it would work, but from my experience there are some people that just can’t make that kind of stuff work in other areas (ex Trijicon BAC).
Oh, I absolutely have a phoria, do not own (day) binoculars etc. It doesn't always work right but if dialed in it can be awesome. Magic. Worst case is I close one eye to really see the image in the thermal but the adjustable bridge, really careful focus, and getting the brightness and color similar between the two is important. One of the LLI purple filters helped the NOX look more like my Elbit WP color. When I had a (320) color thermal, I did that in custom color mode and made it mostly green, with my old green phos tube.

Also, it works better further away. The official min collimation distance for even ENVG stuff is 43 ft (no idea why 43 feet. It's not any number that makes sense to me, not an even number in meters etc but it is what it is). So, playing with them inside the house and maybe in the yard doesn't show the potential. Looking across a distant field, etc they really start to work though.

Not that I am trying to get everyone to spend a spare $1000 but I got some of the RPO lightweights, and they have a somewhat wider FOV. Somehow, that really helps; with normal lenses it's a bit like binoculars, with only some overlap in my brain. With the wider FOV the thermal image appears on top of the II image and that seems to merge the two more consistently and at closer ranges to my brain.

In an ideal world you'd get to try it first. Find local NV nerds or talk one of your friends into getting it first then see :)

Yet here I am trying to figure out if it’s worth it to bridge a NOX 18 with my PVS-14 or is that just going to make me want to run dual NOX?
Cant run dual nox. Ive tried. The images wont line up in your brain and it sucks. Ive pano'd them out and that kinda works but once again, not good enough to run it.

I have a pvs and a nox that sit on my bump. 98% of the time i solely run the nox and occasionally run a pvs when i was to see light or trying to find something close to me, like spent brass on the ground.

If i had to choose one, it would be a nox, but i only hunt with it. Driving or traversing the pvs stands out.

Some guys are running dual RH25 or MH25 Seems like a decent option depending on terrain ?

For reference I live here. If you don't live somewhere like that you'd be better off with a nox35.View attachment 8136111
That is some pretty country, albeit plenty of cover for them snakes to hide.

I'd definitely have me some good snake boots on day or night. Hate them dam thangs. That's a keep your eyes peeled terrain for sure. :oops:

Oh for sure, much more affordable approach, but @SoundFx would kick my ass for buying Chinesium :ROFLMAO:
Well I can’t even buy American where I live but if I had a bit of spare change my affordable approach would be something like MH25v2 in left eye with RH25 in right eye on a KVC bridge with the ability to quickly remove the RH25 and put as a clip on.
I guess dual RH25 would be even better but bit more weight and money and I heard that the MH25 in some ways is better as helmet mounted than a RH25 in helmet mode.
Could probably even do a panobridge to squeeze a bit more FOV

I’m leaning towards getting a Nox 18 and see how it bridges with the PVS-14. If it’s not doing the trick, running it alone is fine. Seems extremely versatile regardless.

Reactions: RockFarmer
That’s definitely the easier route, I’m thinking. Nox18 with a D-14 bridge. I’m just having a hard time imagining having two very different images feeding each eye. I’m sure with some practice it would work, but from my experience there are some people that just can’t make that kind of stuff work in other areas (ex Trijicon BAC).

Be prepared that it’s not going to “fuse” the images. There have been a few discussions on this but it’s just not seamless and at times it doesn’t work at all. It’s still worth it. You can close one eye when you need to focus on movement vs scanning.

Sometimes though, it works pretty well and while not “fused” I can run both eyes open and it’s pretty comfortable. The key is trying to get the images to match as much as possible in brightness/ contrast. It just makes it easier on your eyes. Also, I highly recommend getting an SNB filter for the Nox. It really softens the image and makes it work better.

I’m with @Jgunner in that I run a solo NOX 18probably 80% of the time. When I do bridge a 14, it’s because I’m running a rifle with a laser or I just wanna see the stars. I actually use the NOX alone so much that I’m hoping to grab a bino housing to convert my 14’s to a bino (and maybe a COTI).

As far as NOX / RH25 MH25 / Apollo 640, I would vote NOX if you are a buy once cry once type. Who knows if Nvision has another generation of NOX in the works, but the things that make the NOX a great helmet mounted unit would cause it to suffer as a clip on or weapon sight (and vice versa).

If you pull the weapon mount, and run a battery pack on the NOX, you get like 12-16 hrs of life and a 13oz unit which is awesome. I have not run Chinese thermal, but some say they can tell a difference between the sensors so I’m glad I’ve got the NOX18 with a BAE core (even if it weights a couple ounces more).

I used to wish the NOX would double as a clip on, but not anymore. I’m looking for a slightly narrower FOV option that is compact and will handle ~6x mag for my area. Anything more than that and I’ll spot with the NOX and shoot with the PVS30 (and one day, a long range thermal clip on)

That is some pretty country, albeit plenty of cover for them snakes to hide.

I'd definitely have me some good snake boots on day or night. Hate them dam thangs. That's a keep your eyes peeled terrain for sure. :oops:
There's surprisingly little in the way of poisonous critters or bugs. The rot probably kills them. Good waterproof boots are a must though unless i wanna rot too😆. I bought like 6 or seven pairs of the Danner RATS when the .mil was unloading them. I have some fancy hiking boots but I wear the RATS for creek hikes like today and they're outstanding.

20230507_135539.jpg

Everyone says a unit that’s good as a clip on is bad as helmet mounted ... but why is that?

“My thermal has +2 in handheld, +3 in clip-on, and has a Vorpal Core! It’s true! I rolled several 20s!”

• Haha
Reactions: Bakwa
Everyone says a unit that’s good as a clip on is bad as helmet mounted ... but why is that?
It really boils down to FOV which impacts clarity and detection. Generally, you want larger FOV for head mounted systems which means you don't get as much clarity under magnification if it were to be used as a clip on.

Hope that helps, there's a whole rabbit hole you can go down of sensor size, pixel density, and other optical designs I don't fully have my head wrapped around

It really boils down to FOV which impacts clarity and detection. Generally, you want larger FOV for head mounted systems which means you don't get as much clarity under magnification if it were to be used as a clip on.

Hope that helps, there's a whole rabbit hole you can go down of sensor size, pixel density, and other optical designs I don't fully have my head wrapped around
And I've seen one or two that tried to solve that, with modularity. E.g., change lenses front and back. But rapidly you aren't an all in one unit, but are carrying a bag with half a dozen fussy modules so it's not exactly 30 seconds to unclip from the rifle and stick on your head.

640 breach ? I assume you mean the sidekick 640 ...

It's from armasight. Not sure if it's released yet. Don't think it can be used as a stand alone like the nox but might be able to be used as a clip-on.

Unless you live in very dense terrain I'd recommend getting some base mag for your wmt. If you have a 1x helmet mount and a 1x weapon mount your ability to pid will suffer. Basically you want a 1x and base mag and since you have to run a 1x on your helmet you end up with the base mag on your rifle.

For reference I live here. If you don't live somewhere like that you'd be better off with a nox35.View attachment 8136111
Very informative, thank you. I live in New Hampshire which is generally heavily wooded, but I live on a farm with a bunch of hay fields and pasture surrounding our house. My other night hunting opportunities revolve around similar properties. No long distance shorting per say, but a lot of PID I'd like to do along field edges out to 3-400yds.

Sounds like it would be a reasonable approach to buy a Nox35 wmt to embark into the dark side, and then add a 1x as I replenish my funding. Or if I find a reputable seller posting here perhaps I will scoop up whichever pops up. I would be pleased to find like new/ light use units with ~4 yrs remaining warranty. Otherwise I will try to remain patient enough to wait for a retail sale...maybe 4th of July?

Reactions: Evolution 9
Working on adding clip-on thermal. This thread has been very informative!

Have a PVS-14 and Perst-3 Green+, but would like an option that
works w/o IR illumination.

Three of our rifles have Trijicon ACOG mounted.
The Trigicon SNIPE-IR thermal is designed to work with their ACOG products, so that was the first option I considered.

These were suggested as alternatives:
-Bering Optics Super Yoter-C
-Pixels on Target VooDoo-S

I found a mount that aligns the Yoter-C w/ the ACOG, this would be the lowest $$$ way to go.
Not sure how the VooDoo-S could be 3x better @ 3x the price than a less $$$ option - what is the magic here?

Reactions: RockFarmer
Working on adding clip-on thermal. This thread has been very informative!

Have a PVS-14 and Perst-3 Green+, but would like an option that
works w/o IR illumination.

Three of our rifles have Trijicon ACOG mounted.
The Trigicon SNIPE-IR thermal is designed to work with their ACOG products, so that was the first option I considered.

These were suggested as alternatives:
-Bering Optics Super Yoter-C
-Pixels on Target VooDoo-S

I found a mount that aligns the Yoter-C w/ the ACOG, this would be the lowest $$$ way to go.
Not sure how the VooDoo-S could be 3x better @ 3x the price than a less $$$ option - what is the magic here?
Armasight Jockey 640 might be a third option come summer?

Reactions: frankxtc