• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Phone connects to car with BT and Wifi off?

Not plugged in...

then it has to have a cellular connection, my car has a cell booster I had to register, it amplifies the cell service to give me better internet connection. So it‘s connected by cellular too

Wanna start with make, model, and year before we try to guess every possible scenario? :rolleyes:

It could be connecting like your headphones do when your are in Airplane mode

I am spacing what to call it right now, but right, “off” might not be off because it’s a set up as an always connected thing. Like it knows Car Play will work even with that off, just like headphones do

IPhone 12
2009 Jeep

Not plugged in. Thinking in these new covid phones off doesn’t mean off
I avoid Apple like the plague but even that overpriced status symbol should have an "airplane" mode that may or may NOT disable bluetooth. Otherwise, it's always connected to Apple, NSA, China,...

Reactions: Ravenworks
is there a choice to "always connect"?

iPhone 12 2020 Explorer. Bluetooth and Wi-Fi off. No connection. My car has the built in cellular that Frank mentions but mine is not activated.

Bluetooth is a universal communication protocol . Phone manufactures and Telematics control unit manufactures use this technology to allow computers from different manufactures to communicate with each other. Bluetooth allows your phone to talk to the telematics control unit in your car. It is not an internet connection.

Wifi is an internet connection.

This hoax virus is the gift that keeps on giving foe Stasi and their surveillance authoritarian state wet dream

60CD4D11-3B80-46CD-A446-34EBF2F3515F.png

F that. I said off I want off.

At least avoid some tracking / signal emitting
Have you gone into your phones permissions and turned just about everything off?

2016 & 2018 ram 3500 with he 8.4 Uconnect, if my Bluetooth is off my iPhone 12 doesn’t connect

Reactions: deersniper
Settings > privacy > location services > turn it off for all the apps > system services > turn everything you want off there

Reactions: deersniper
SInce you cannot take the battery out anymore, putting it in an enclosure that is impenetrable to radio frequencies is the only way to have it reliably off. Or put a bullet through it.

Faraday cage for the win. Plenty of ways to make them easily. Foil + container of your choice. Need to use your phone? Take it out of the enclosure. Done? Put it back inside. When you are not using the device, it is literally off the grid inside a foil bag or box.

My guess is being that old, the new phone sees the car system as just a bluetooth headphone so it connects the same it would on the airplane

The AI is too smart, but at the same time just treats the older radio like a simple device

I use a bluetooth headphone and sometimes it would auto-disconnect from my phone and try to latch on to other bluetooth devices that present a stronger signal that show up... It is a bit annoying when I am at a distance from my device and have to go over there and manually reset the connection again. Tech is awesome, but it is nowhere near perfect... The day it becomes "perfect," is the day we are going to have a real problem at our hands, because "perfect" technology may realize that humans are not necessary anymore and are competitors for living space...