• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Pic of poor bolt lug contact?

Scottyman

Private
Minuteman
Aug 24, 2008
Maine
The stock bolt and this custom bolt both show the same contact wear in my Tikka 308. I used a marker to determine if the receiver is good enough to build a 28 Nosler from. Would you build a semi-custom based on this imperfect receiver or are most Tikka receivers similar to this?

lugs.jpg

It’s typical that the 9-12 top lug shows more wear than the 3-6 bottom lug does as the bolt sags down with gravity camming on the top more. It’s under firing that it evens out but that doesn’t show much wear as it’s not moving anywhere. That’s why you really should measure it to be sure they are actually even.

Did you have the little screw in spring loaded jig to put tension on the bolt when you did the contact test?

I'd look for 80% contact on both if I was building something. Pretty simple to true it up, or you could even lap it into 80 percent contact on both sides. If you have a lathe and true it up, you can true up the receiver bolt lug abutments and bolt face too. But obviously then you're adjusting the headspace and "pre-fit" barrels won't headspace right without actually fitting them to the action.

When I lapped lugs on an M1A I split a case and put a spring in it to put back pressure on the bolt lugs. Should work with a bolt gun.

skl1--I didn't use a jig.
I just don't know if this looks typical or I should chance it and buy a stripped receiver which may have better contact.

Uneven wear is actually (partly) because of the cocking piece forcing the back of the bolt up. It just slightly kicks the bolt.

Totally normal, nothing to worry about. You have contact, that's more than most savages have.

Yeah I said it.

skl1--I didn't use a jig.
I just don't know if this looks typical or I should chance it and buy a stripped receiver which MAY have better contact.

^^^ Key word right there.^^^

No guarantee and the issue you're trying to resolve isn't an issue.

Reactions: Ledzep
I think the contact you're getting is normal/typical for a production gun.