• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes picatinny mount suggestions for a kimber montana

wisam

Private
Minuteman
Jan 4, 2011
Looking for new quick release rings and bases for my Kimber Montana. Basically, I want something that is lightweight, able to return to zero after being removed and something that will work on a Picitiney rail. 

Anyone have any recomendations for a Picitinney style rail that would mount on a Kimber Montana .300 win mag? I am trying to Keep the rifle as light as possible since it is a hunting rifle. For weight savings, a 2 piece mount would be nice, but I realize there is a bigger selection of quality one piece bases. 

How about rings? 
For the sake of weight, I'd like to stick with good quality aluminum rings and bases if possible uness It wouldnt be up to the task on a light weight .300. 

Re: picatinny mount suggestions for a kimber montana

I've got a 1 piece 20 moa EGW alloy pictinny rail on my Montana 300 wsm. Being yours is the long action, not sure if they have it, try Ken Ferrel also. I run TPS alloy rings, if your really worried about weight check out Murphy Precision titanium rings and bases.

I'd go with Ken Ferrell. Very nice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hawkerpilot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd go with Ken Ferrell. Very nice.</div></div>

They're nice, but they aren't Picatinny spec. They're only a partial rail and don't work with many Picatinny devices.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hawkerpilot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd go with Ken Ferrell. Very nice.</div></div>

They're nice, but they aren't Picatinny spec. They're only a partial rail and don't work with many Picatinny devices. Thats true for any two piece bases too. You probably don't need a Picatinny spec base if you're just mounting rings and a scope but night vision devices are likely not to work.

Just how much more does a one-piece scope rail weigh?

I find I can avoid "packing more weight" by just emptying my pockets of unnecessary "stuff".