• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Picked up a new toy (pic) UPDATE (2/17)

SmallBoreSnipers

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 15, 2009
Troy, NY
Picked up my brand new Savage MKIIFV today. After giving it a good look over, it really is a quality gun for the low $$$. I've done a lot of searching about this rifle on the web, and I am yet to read one bad comment about anything about this rifle. I really can't wait to test it out. Will be going out tomorrow. I'm sure I'll have some targets to post soon. Slapped on my 6-24x40 Bushnell Banner and my Harris bipod. Other than that it's right out of the box. I may or may not be adding an adjustable cheek piece. Haven't decided yet.
smile.gif

SavageMKIIFV.jpg

SavageMKIIFV_2.jpg

SavageMKIIFV_4.jpg

SavageMKIIFV_3.jpg

Re: Picked up a new toy (pic)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TerrorInTheShadows</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is it just me or is the accu-trigger not there? </div></div>

Nope. It's there. Just hiding.

Just ordered the 10 round mag, and next will be the EGW picatinny rail.

Yeah be sure to post how it shoots, will probably be my next rifle still lurking around trying to decide.

I too second( or third, fourth) the motion to give us your range report.

I've been eyeing up one of those Stevens bolt .22's for about a year now. Biggest reason I haven't is I just can't decide what optic to put on it too!

Savage really has seemed to come to these last few years. Nice to have a choice of good players out there for all of us buyers.

Nice rifle!

-G45

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TOP PREDATOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i think you'll see that the cheekpiece is addictive once you've had one - that comb on the stock drops off pretty steep. </div></div>

That's exactly why I need one. Cause I've had one lol.

Well I went out today and sighted it in. Took me a few tries to see what she liked but I finally got it on the bottom two there. The bottom left is 5 rounds at 25 and the bottom right is 10 rounds at 25. The circles on the target are 1.5". My bad, I chucked the target before I got out the caliper, but the size of the hole for the 5 round group is about 1/4", and the 10 round is about .5". I then went out to 50 and put 25 rounds in about 1.25". Don't have a pic of that one unfortunately. Not so bad for my first time out with it I guess. It's quality for the dough that's for sure. It doesn't like to be held tight. Barely even shouldered. It likes to be held kinda like a big pistol. Just a nice firm grip with one hand. This was with a bipod and rear bad using CCI mini mags. The only thing I didn't like about it was that the mag jammed. But this was only at first. For some reason that just totally went away. Just needed to be broken in I guess. Definitely a fun little rifle.

000_0229.jpg

Nice...got tired of the price of .17 ammo huh??

seriously tho, looks to shoot pretty good.

Whats it weigh?

The savage MKII FVT that I have came with the same very flexible stock.
I augered out plastic from the forend, and exopied a peice of aluminum 1/2 X 1/2" angle in there.
The stock is still very flexible all the way from the front bedding screw through wrist.
A more rigid stock is on my want list.
Some time after I become employed again.

Thanks guys. Yeah the 17 ammo can be pricey for as much as I like to shoot. It's still fun as hell though so I do still shoot it. The MKII weighs in at like 7 or 8 lbs. I think. It's actually a bit heavier than it looks. The stock is flexible, as most synthetics are, but a tacticool will be on the way as soon as they come available at Boyds. I actually took it out to 100 yards today. I fired 15 rounds at a 2" circle. Got 12 out of 15. Could've done better but it was my first time ever shooting a .22 at 100. I fired plenty of 5 round groups at 50 and my average size was .4". Same as my 17. There will definitely be more to come. I think I can get this rifle to actually be more accurate than my 17 after I spend a bit more time with it.

Nice rifle SBS. I see that you can shoot it very well.
I love my FV. First came the work on the Accu Trigger, then the EGW 20 MOA rail & a WOTAC scope, then the Boyds tactical stock. Funny thing about that trigger, I did some work to it following the plan over at RimFireCentral & it is really good. I did the same stuff to my TRR & my TRR .17HMR but ended up replacing those two with the Rifle Basics trigers. I just couldn't make the stock triggers preform any better. I will add the RB trigger to the FV when I get the chance. No big hurry though, as it works real good as it is.

^Thanks. I actually just ordered the picatinny rail last night. The trigger is pretty nice but thre rb on my Marlin is just a little bit lighter, so I'm sure eventually I will be putting one on the Savage. The stock is my next move. Just waiting.

I believe you helped me finally make my mind up monday i will be order the same exact I basing my decision on this or the savage tr. Its more fun to start basic then get crazy!!!!

Argggg... freakin' gorgeous out here... 58* sunny and no wind... damn office. And then I have to sit here and look at SBS's dang pics again.

Hey Jones. This thing is sweet. you won't be let down.

Hey Rico. Sunny and 75 down here with this little thing. And no wind lol.

I too am looking for a better stock but I need one that will work while hunting. Are Boyd's laminate stocks a step up from the shitty synthetics these come with?

I have a 93r17 and I put a Sav-Rat Rifle Basix trigger in it. Just keep the Accu-trigger clean. I found once mine started to collect crud it hit my accuracy.

Hey thanks for the tip. And yeah the Boyd's stocks are definitely a nice step up. Should hold up just fine for hunting.

Good rifle. I had one for about a year, it was great and never failed. I only sold it cause when I had time to shoot I wanted to shoot larger rifles and needed the cash for a build.