• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Picking a Barrel for a PRS Capable AR-10 in 6.5 CM

walkersm1

Private
Minuteman
Apr 30, 2020
Hey folks, I am putting a build together like the title describes, and I am hoping for your help on choosing the barrel. My selection priorities are, in order; performance, weight, and price. Here is a quick look at my options; my thought process for the build is down below for those who care to read:

• Faxon 20" Heavy Fluted: $409 list price, 2.52 lbs.
  • X-Caliber Custom 20" Corkscrew Fluted SPR/HBAR Contour: $570 list price, unknown weight.
  • Proof Stainless 20" Camgas: $479 list price, 3.63 lbs

I have selected most other parts for the build, chief among which is the 2A Xanthos receiver set (already ordered) and rail, and FAB Defense RAPS stock. My goal for the project is to create a rifle that I can use comfortably from any distance through 1200 yards (or more, rarely), and ideally one that doesn't weigh more than 10 pounds. This weight includes the gun, empty 10 rd magazine, and optics. Eventually when I live in a better part of the country I'll hang a can off the end as well.

I know a gas gun generally isn't the best option for PRS, but they still have a division for it, and I want this build to be up to the task. I will eventually put a bolt gun together better suited for the sport. I also know that most rigs used in PRS weigh between 12 and 18 lbs, and many weigh more than that. I also hand load, so I expect to maximize the performance of any barrel I choose, or at least come close. Lead time is not a factor, as I am essentially on a layaway plan for several builds... hoping in a couple years I'll be in a more gun friendly place where I can enjoy these things.

Here are the reasons I would choose each of the barrels, based on my priorities of performance, weight, and price.

• Faxon: These may not be the best shooters in the world, but they are still very respectable. I already have one an a .223 that shoots well. I may never get this barrel to 1/2 moa, but I expect it will easily make 1 moa. The weight is a known quantity, and at 2.52 lbs it would hit my 10 lb goal exactly for the whole build. The price is the lowest of the bunch as well, and they often have sales to bring that down further. In summary, this would meet my weight and price standards, but may trail the others in performance

• X-Caliber: 95% of the reviews I have read both here and other places indicate these are top-notch barrels (albeit button rifled, which isn't necessarily a con). They also offer fluting, which would bring the weight down closer to my goal, although I won't know the actual weight until it arrives at my door. I emailed asking for some guidance and they recommended the lightweight profile, but I don't want to go that slim. At the price of $570 (which also comes down with their regular sales), they would beat similar fluted barrels from the likes of Craddock by several hundred dollars. If I were to venture much higher I would probably just go for Proof's Carbon Fiber offering. In summary, performance will likely be very good, with a decent compromise on weight at a reasonable price.

• Proof: The performance speaks for itself, only Bartlein gets more attention from top PRS shooters based on the "What the Pros Use" articles. Price is also respectable at $479. The big issue here is weight, at 3 lbs 10 oz. This is over a pound more than the Faxon, and likely a similar margin to the X-Caliber. But should I care? Like I mentioned above, most PRS guns are 12+ lbs anyways, and this would settle in just over 11. I don't want this thing to be so unwieldy that I never want to use it, but at 3 lbs heavier than my 3-gun AR 15, 11 shouldn't be much of an issue. This also bring up the issue of barrel length, because if I go for this one, I might as well get a 22" at only 4 oz. heavier, in order to get an extra 50 fps or so out of my loads. In summary, the performance will be top notch at a great price, but at the (arguable) sacrifice of weight.
So there it is. Thanks to those of you who have suffered through to the end; I realize this is a long post, but I wanted to get ahead of as many questions as possible. I am looking forward to your feedback!

I've got a brand new seekins SP-10 6.5 Creedmoor, more than likely I'm going to have Craddock Spin me up a Bartlein. If you're interested shoot me a PM I'll sell it as a kit barrel BCG gas system and muzzle brake.

I'd go with the proof if you are trying to save a little cash. Midway has the 22" in stock right now. My second option would be Craddock, not because of quality but because of price. I'm a cheap bastard. I've read way too many stories of shitty accuracy with Faxon barrels to even consider them as an option.

I have an odin works , cane as a complete upper, 22 inch +2 gas tube. Guaranteed moa, and it is , factory american gunner 140 grain ammo, 1000 yards knocking steel all day long.

out of the options listed proof is the only choice that I would make. Never heard of X-caliber and Faxon and PRS dont get used in the same sentence.

Scott

Proof Research.... Precision matters.

And for me.. the first "missed" shot, I'd think to my self... I should have bought the PR instead of the Faxon.

Reactions: JS8588
Of those 3, PR. It will shoot & won't break the bank.

If you're considering a Faxon, I have a New Premium Fluted Ballistic Advantage collecting dust on the shelf.

I’d go with the Proof.

I didn’t think enough of Faxon to buy one until I won a rifle with that exact barrel in 6.5. It shot surprisingly well, MOAish out to 700 yards with factory ammo. Not bad at all.

Thanks all for the input, Proof definitely sounds like the best option. My only reservation with it, which I didn't mention earlier, is it's only available in Rifle+2 gas, which means the gas block won't be covered by a 15" handguard. Not an issue for performance obviously, just not very aesthetically pleasing.

Just to shake things up I might also consider Criterion. They have a few options direct on their site, and Craddock can make them up at a decent price too, albeit more than the Proof by a couple hundred.

I have two uppers for my mega maten, one is a Krieger 20" in 308 with rifle gas and the other is a Craddock bartlein 22.5" with +2 gas in 260. Both shoot good. I have more time on the krieger so load/groups are marginally better but the bartlein shows promise with the 130's. 140's weren't as awesome as in my Badger bolt gun.

I'm just going to say this as I ran PRS for a few years before the kids were born. I would not want to start out with PRS with a gasser. Time is wasted getting into position and acquiring targets not running the action. My big frame AR's are SO much harder to shoot well. For reference, it's pretty easy to be sloppy with technique on the bolt and shoot .5 moa. Do that with the gasser and I see 1.5 moa. Couple that to the fact that you'll be down 150 or so fps with the shorter barrel, dwell/pressure issues and it's just a much harder platform to learn with.
Don't get me wrong, shtf I'm grabbing the gasser, acceptable accuracy and can do things a bolt can't. I just don't think it's the best platform to start out with. Also big frames are harder than 5.56 AR's for some reason as well.

Psmith, thanks for the awesome insight. Perhaps I’ll focus on keeping my gas gun light enough to use as a daily shooter type and shift focus more to the bolt gun!

Ask yourself why youre shooting prs. If it is to walk the table, get a bolt gun. If you’re there to have fun, test your skills, make a few friends, and learn some stuff- take the gun that makes you smile the biggest. Gassers are not faster to shoot in this game, but- contrary to popular opinion- they can be pretty easy to keep on target. Not needing to manually run the bolt is an advantage in that department. Obstacles that are slanted, suck to shoot of of with a bolt gun. Not a problem with a gasser. The only other thing I’ll add is that heavy is not a disadvantage in prs...

I know I'm a little late to this discussion. If you're looking for a PRS style gas gun build I would definitely recommend going on the heavier side. I shoot gas gun for PRS and its back heavy so I promise go on the heavier end. I'm running the 22" 3.3 lb Wilson Combat SS barrel in 6.5CM and im getting ready to put 2.5lbs worth of foreend weights just to balancing it out some more. When I rebarrel I plan to go 24-26" and probably without the fluting.

My current set up without the foreend weights is 13 lbs. I'm planning to get it at about 17-18lbs i think will be an ideal weight. For both balance and optimal recoil mitigation. In PRS, the biggest down sides of a gas gun is the more "violent" recoil because of the reciprocating mass in the middle.

Also my Wilson Combat Barrel is shooting 0.44 MOA groups at 100 yards and with me behind it (nothing impressive) I'm getting consistent hits at 1000-1100 yards about 60% of the time. I've had some matches with targets at 1150 and I was always within a mil of my target (rough wind days). Still an amature at wind reading but getting better.