• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Picking a bullet weight based on barrel twist rate

upjeeper

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 28, 2005
Madison, WI
I'm about ready to place an order for some bullets for my .223

Problem is, I don't know what the twist rate is. I bought the gun used, no way to get a hold of the previous owner and it's not marked on the barrel. It's a Rem700 with the OEM barrel on it.

Any advice?

Please and thanks!

Re: Picking a bullet weight based on barrel twist rate

Find the model then go to Rems website and they have the info there..

or you could do it the hard way.............
shove your cleaning rod into your barrel,put a small mark on the rod by the handle,slowly push the rod in, wait for one revolution and measure how far the rod went in. if it went in 10 inches is a 10 twist. (not very accurate thou)

Yeah I have never had much luck wit cleanign rod measurement. I agree to check on the Rem website or give Remington a call.

Speer Reloading Manuals have the twists of commonly manufactured firearms listed in the back of the book. Older sporters were 1-12" some later versions heavy barrels were 1-9" both of which will shoot a 55 grain bullet.

Good luck

Jerry

If it's a sporter or a varmint, it's probably 1/12.

If it's a Tactical, it's probably 1/9.

Best to do the cleaning rod test.