• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Picking a gunsmith

hillsidehog

Private
Minuteman
Jan 7, 2012
I was going to have Michael Scherz of Gila River Gun Works do it since he is local in town. Any references or knowledge of his work would be appreciated. Talking to him he seems very accomplished & capable. Thanks.

Re: Picking a gunsmith

What sort of work are you looking to have done? What brand of rifle?

Although I have no knowledge of this smith, his specialty does not appear to be tactical rifles. As the smith claims to make rifles for LEO etc, I suggest you ask him for a few references local to you for whom he has built rifles similar to what you want built...then check out the rigs in person.

It does not take alot of smithing skill to talk the game better than the average consumer and therefore look knowledgeable.

Do not be afraid to ship your gear off for good work. I have had smithing work done in PA, AK, MO, IN, OH, FL, NC, CA, GA, and once...in NJ!

I don't know much about doing a custom rifle build as this will be my first. Im trying to decide between a Hart or Bartlein barrel chambered in .300 win mag. Then have it threaded for a JP Precision Compensator (Bennie Cooley design). Mcmillan stock, probably their new one..think its called mcmillan new hunter or something..still debating on trigger & action. Im going for a medium weight hunting rifle that wanted to be as good as an intermediate level long range target rifle. Does that make any sense.

Bartlein would be my barrel of choice. If you can't find a vendor that has what you want in stock, you may have to wait up to 6 months on the barrel. I favor Timney triggers, but Jewell, and Rifle Basix work very well also. Stock should be personal choice, because how it feels and fits you is what's important. Unless you know someone with the particular stock you want to use, it will be difficult to try it it on for fit. I love McMillan and Manner stocks. You truly get what you pay for in a quality stock.I'm not trying to screw anyone out of work, but am looking out for the consumer, (you). So, as already said above, if the guy does not specialize in what you want, then ship it out to someone who does. Best of luck on your first rifle.

I definitely agree with you. I want a highly reputable gunsmith doing the job, specially being new to this. Who should be my first choice.

Looking at some of his other rifles and talking to current owners is a GREAT idea. If the work is good and the quality is there, by all means, STAY LOCAL.

You're going to get a list of all the smiths on this site soon enough. I highly recommend staying local (within a 3 hour drive). I've had 2 rifles built from highly respected HIDE smiths that have had issues and trying to get them resolved has been a headache.

If you have to send a rifle back to an out of state smith for corrections, you'll find that they put you back to the end of the line. They already have all of your money and they would rather work on rifles that have a bill on them than yours (ask me how I know).

Stay Local!!! If there is an issue, you can see the smith face to face.

I was in the same boat not too long ago. I was in search of a smith to assemble a rifle out of premium parts I purchased. I shot out a few PM's and promptly received responses from them all. I ultimately caught wind of a local guy and paid him a visit at the shop. I got to see first hand what he did and the work alone won me over. He's not a big time guy but the proof was in the pudding and I liked what I saw.

For some reason if I need a little tweaking here and there, he's a short drive away and I can personally discuss the issue in person. That's the other reason I chose to go local with my first build.

In your case, pay him a visit and see the work first hand. People can talk the talk on the phone. Let the smith show you his work..

I gotta agree with the folks above me on this one. I went through this a few months back since I was starting my first build from scratch. I thought about going with a big named hide smith around here, but after talking to some folks found a local smith that does exactly what I was looking for.

Some of you may know Jamie Dodson at Wolf Precision in Johnstown, PA. He's been the most helpful with my build and I'm glad I found him before I started this build. He's a half hour drive, answers his phone everytime I call him, calls me with updates and verification on the way I want things done. He's offered up opinions and options that I should consider, but has never once tried to sway me into something I didn't want. His criticism is very constructive, and is exactly what I was looking for.

It's been a pleasure dealing with him, and he's only a few minutes away if we need to get in contact. Do yourself a favor and choose someone that will pay you the attention needed on your first build. Once that one's under your belt and you know what to expect, then maybe think of the bigger smiths. However, I like the attention of the local guys, so that's where I'll continue to spend my money.

In my three previous experiences with having rifles worked on there was a glitch or two each time. One claimed not to have received payment (and I had to pay USPS to provide proof his business cashed the money order I sent) and he forgot to parkerize a takeoff barrel. To his credit, he not only sent back a cracked handguard I had tried to fix, but replaced it with one of his. Another (respected and recommended from the 'Hide) did an unrequested bedding job and forget to return the original bottom metal (which was worth $60 to me). A third was my fault - sending just a stock to be inlet for a new DBM. The inletting was a bit too deep and that probably could have been avoided had the smith had the action to test fit.

My advice is to be very specific about what work will be done and who is supplying parts. I'd always specify up front that anything original be returned. But even more important, after reading the horror stories around the Snipers Hide 2009 rifle and the Longshot Rifles threads, I know I will never do a build with a smith again unless I check them out first. In fact, unless it's with a firmly established business it might do to stay within driving distance.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Little Z28</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I gotta agree with the folks above me on this one. I went through this a few months back since I was starting my first build from scratch. I thought about going with a big named hide smith around here, but after talking to some folks found a local smith that does exactly what I was looking for.

Some of you may know Jamie Dodson at Wolf Precision in Johnstown, PA. He's been the most helpful with my build and I'm glad I found him before I started this build. He's a half hour drive, answers his phone everytime I call him, calls me with updates and verification on the way I want things done. He's offered up opinions and options that I should consider, but has never once tried to sway me into something I didn't want. His criticism is very constructive, and is exactly what I was looking for.

It's been a pleasure dealing with him, and he's only a few minutes away if we need to get in contact. Do yourself a favor and choose someone that will pay you the attention needed on your first build. Once that one's under your belt and you know what to expect, then maybe think of the bigger smiths. However, I like the attention of the local guys, so that's where I'll continue to spend my money. </div></div>

You are very lucky to have Jamie local. I would ship my rifle half way around the globe to have him work on it. Top notch smith...GREAT GUY!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Little Z28</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I gotta agree with the folks above me on this one. I went through this a few months back since I was starting my first build from scratch. I thought about going with a big named hide smith around here, but after talking to some folks found a local smith that does exactly what I was looking for.

It's been a pleasure dealing with him, and he's only a few minutes away if we need to get in contact. Do yourself a favor and choose someone that will pay you the attention needed on your first build. Once that one's under your belt and you know what to expect, then maybe think of the bigger smiths. However, I like the attention of the local guys, so that's where I'll continue to spend my money. </div></div>

You are very lucky to have Jamie local. I would ship my rifle half way around the globe to have him work on it. Top notch smith...GREAT GUY!! </div></div>

Yes I know. He has been more than helpful with keeping my updated and informed. I couldn't have asked for a better gunsmith to build my first custom rifle. I will definitely continue to have him do work for me after I get this rifle. It's been a pleasure. There are more local guys to me, but he builds the type of rifles I like, and is awesome with communication. He was quick to show me several specimens in his shop and I approved. His work is second to none. I may have to go to his school sometime to get better educated in long range shooting.

Local is fine if local does what you want them to do. I do a lot of local work, I do as much work shipped to me though as I do local if not more.
However, EVERY gunsmith out there has pissed someone off, wether by accident or on purpose or whatever the case may be.
Mistakes and misunderstandings happen, and despite the 'science' of gunsmithing, there are few steadfast and set rules on most projects and every smith has a way he does things that other smiths and some customer may not agree with, wether it works or not.
Be careful about giving TOO much creedence to what some people tell you. There are people that will tell you that I was 'a icehole or a smartice' or 'it took me forever.' DON'T call me and tell me how to do my job and ask me how it should be done in the same sentence! If you know SO much than why TF did you call me? Some projects take time and parts are NOT ALWAYS available when I call and order- it is beyond my control. No amount of explaining or being 'nice' will work with some people.
On the flip side of the coin there are a lot of people that will tell you I 'built a tack driver' or 'I had that thing runnin' like a sewing machine' etc.
It's a service like mechanics, or dry cleaning or anything else, even doctors- So ask around, get some feedback, see what people say and look at examples of his work. Ask him HOW he will do the work you want performed. Make clear to him your desires for specifics and requests. If there is an option he cannot or does not perform as him if he farms it out and to who. Does he have a work order he fills out or does he scratch it on a notepad and stick it to the wall?
This is a little view from both sides of the fence. Hope it helps
smile.gif

I know what you mean. Very true...every trades-man if you will have their own ways. I have heard good things about him as an individual...just need to research his work. It would be nice to have a local smith I could count on. Patience I think with a gunsmith is a must cause you are rite..we can't control shipping dates with suppliers or the unknown in our lives. I was hoping someone in this forum has seen or heard of his work. He was in Arizona..Gila River Gun Works & Gila River Tactical. All the input I receive does help...I may sound dumb at times in my questions LOL..but at least I'm learning. Not new to guns but just new to the custom rifle making side of it. This is going to get addicting & expensive..but fun.

Ask to see guns he has built and ask to talk with customers he built them for. If he can't supply both, run like hell

I am looking for a quality gunsmith. I am from the Oklahoma area and I was wondering if you guys had any recommendations on a smith. Here is the setup I have so far. It is going to be a benchrest gun.

Remington 700 short action, 26in stainless Kreiger barrel chambered in .308 with a 1:11.25 twist heavy varmint contour. I want it mounted on a Bell and Carlson varmint/tactical medalist stock. I have a Wyatt’s DBM and a Shilen trigger.

Basically I am going for accuracy so I want the smith to really take his time and do the job right. Who do your guys recommend? And if it all possible, I would like to stay local. (within a few hours drive)

I meet up with him @ his shop. He showed me some rifle work he has done & the groups they were putting out. Impressive as all get out. I will contact some of the clients he has had. Does impressive work I think thus far. Old clientele will make the final impression though.