• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Sidearms & Scatterguns Picking a new 9 mm

OM_Rebs

Private
Minuteman
Jan 20, 2012
Mississippi
New to this forum, I looked around a little and think I am getting the hang of it.

I'm looking at buying a 9mm soon and I have done a good bit of research but I figured most of you could probably tell me much more than most of these reviews I've been reading.

I'm into rifles, but I'm pretty new to pistols so this will be my first one. Everyone I've talked to thinks it's easier to learn on 9mm vs a larger cal, but obviously not everyone thinks that. I won't be using this for carry, it'll just be for the range most likely.

The gun I like most after all the research is the Sig p226. I'm looking at spending around 800-900 so that's right on the line for some of their models like the Navy version that I really like. Do any of you own this gun or a similar model? What do yall think? I was also considering the HK USP. thanks for the help.

Hotty Toddy

Re: Picking a new 9 mm

Thanks for the quick reply, but I should have added that I will be keeping this in my house for home defense as well. It will have a little more purpose than shooting targets.

I don't find 22s entertaining at all. I have one, and it's got it's uses, but centerfires are much more fun. 9mm is a great choice because ammo is so available cheaply. It's pretty hard to get a "bad" gun these days. Avoid Taurus and HiPoint and you're pretty much ok! As for picking the specific pistol, you really need to go somewhere that rents pistols (or to a friendly pistol match where you can try other peoples guns) and just try them. We all have our own opinions, but NO ONE but you can decide if the Sig or the HK is better. Both are fine guns.

In my opinion, the Sig is finer! However, I still prefer Glock even though Sigs are finer than Glocks too.

I'm not a Sig fan, they are beautiful pistols, but I just can't love the DA/SA trigger pull.

I was a Glock guy, I've owned at least 10 it seems, but I've gotten a couple M&P 9mm's now and might be selling off the last couple Glock 19's if things continue down the road I'm on.

I would try the Glock 19 and the M&P 9mm, similar sized, both fun to shoot, will just depend on what feels better in your hand.

Thanks that's true about going to the range; I've done some rifle shooting with a guy who does those matches. I'm gonna see if I can get him to help me out with that. Just trying to get as many opinions from people as possible.

I am a Glock guy, but the best advice in world is to go to a range that rents pistols, rent anything and everything you want, Glock HK Sig XD S&W are just as accurate, the proof is when there in Ransom rests, so pick the one that you shoot the best or are willing to learn the best.

My advice is to go out and shoot the pistol before you buy. Most ranges have pistols for rent and for relatively cheap. You will find support for just about any pistol out there. The only way you will know which one works BEST FOR YOU is to go out and try them. Some guys love glocks and others love 1911's but what they love is irrelevant to what you will love. Buying a pistol without shooting it is like buying a car without a test drive. Sorry to rant but I wish someone had told me not to drink the coolaid when I was getting started. Hope this helps.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am a Glock guy, but the best advice in world is to go to a range that rents pistols, rent anything and everything you want, Glock HK Sig XD S&W are just as accurate, the proof is when there in Ransom rests, so pick the one that you shoot the best or are willing to learn the best. </div></div>
lol beat me by 20 sec

I agree with turbo find what feels best.
Yes a glock is great but doesnt fit my hand.
my dads 96 felt better in his hand over my px4 but then he shot them the 96 is sold he now owns my px4. find what fits you!
a few have dif. grips play with those too b4 you buy.

I went through the same thing and bought a Sig P226 as well, and have no complaints. I have friends with Glocks and HKs that have mentioned they wish they would have gone that route as well, but some guns definitely fit some people better than others. I was prepared to decide between the Sig and HK, but liked the Smith & Wesson M&P better than the HKs.

As for trigger, mine has the SRT (short reset trigger). If you don't like a DA/SA, you can get a double action only, or double action Kellerman trigger - each has a different feel, and it's worth checking out before buying.

You can find more info on sigforum.com as well. Good luck and have fun,

John

i'd recommend a sig p226. if money is an issue, you can get an exchange-set for a 22lr on your p226 ...

I shoot glocks and love em, but a m&p in 9mm is def on my to buy list. Shoot before you buy, get what you like.

Thanks for the tip on that site; looks like i'll be logging some serious range hours with all the solid choices out there. Good excuse to get out there I guess thanks guys.

Hotty Toddy

Definitely try out as many as you can before your buy. My brother is going through this right now.

I've owned a ruger p94, glock 26, glock 19, glock 32, glock 27, a sig 226, kahr mk9, and three 1911s(RIA, colt, SA).

The ruger and sig taught me that I do not like a double action trigger pull for the first shot followed by a single action pull for subsequent shots.

1911s and glocks both had consistent trigger pulls on every squeeze of the trigger and I liked both. For a while I favored a 1911 and carried one for 2 years.

Ultimately, I felt my glocks were more dependable for concealed carry and that is what I have settled on.

I shot other handguns along the way (Jericho .45, beretta 92, cz75, hk USP) before making my decision and it was a decision made over the past 12 years of carrying a concealed weapon. I've changed my mind more than once and may change it again sometime.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wolvenhaven</div><div class="ubbcode-body">HK P30, you'll never want to own another 9mm. </div></div>

As far as HKs go, the P30 and even P7 are awfully nice. In my OPINION, the USPs are dogshit. My understanding is they were intended for Americans - which tells me Germans think Americans want heavy klunky guns. I do however dig the versatility of their triggers, and how there are so many options with it.

As someone else mentioned, a double/single trigger is horrible for me...its nice the USP allows for DAO, LEM, or even "cocked and locked".

Again, just personal preference. HK makes a fine gun.

USPs ARE dogshit. Thats one of the most uncomfortable pistols Ive ever used, Cant understand what HK was thinking. They DO have a different attitude towards the general public than they do the military however, perhaps thats where it spawned from.

Why do you say the USP's are crap? Because they don't fit in your hand? I guess Glocks are crap then, cause they don't fit mine... The USP is a phenomenally durable and reliable firearm. They are big, yes. And they aren't comfortable for me either, sold mine because of that reason alone. But I sold it to my shooting buddy who thinks it was made for his hand. (side note, I do love their mag release though) It always comes down to personal preference on the feel of a pistol.

Unless you plan on invading Normandy, anything from a big name manufacturer (since you've done your research you should know them) that feels good in YOUR hand will work for your needs. It's hard finding a place that rents handguns, so just go to your local shop and hold a couple. If you hold the 226 (try a P229 by the way, or even a 228 if you can find one) and it feels comfortable, then you will definitely enjoy shooting it and you will be very happy with your purchase. Who knows, you might find something else that feels better. ...As long as it's not a hi-point haha

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am a Glock guy, but the best advice in world is to go to a range that rents pistols, rent anything and everything you want, Glock HK Sig XD S&W are just as accurate, the proof is when there in Ransom rests, so pick the one that you shoot the best or are willing to learn the best. </div></div>

Good advice. Find out if you like the double action/single action trigger on the Sig and others or if you like a more single/striker version like the Glocks and XDms. See what fits in your hand and points best.

I have had a 226 Navy and have a 229. Like them but I shoot my Glocks better and I like the trigger better. Try different pistols and find what fits you best in features and actual hand fit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pdogsbeware</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why do you say the USP's are crap? Because they don't fit in your hand? I guess Glocks are crap then, cause they don't fit mine...</div></div>

The bore axis alone would be enough for me to reject it. You can't negate the laws of physics. A longer lever arm == more felt recoil.

To the original poster, I would highly recommend that you buy a $4-500 pistol (Glock, M&P, XD) and a .22 before spending $900 on a Sig. What seems "cool" to you today is a factor of marketing and probably a waste of money. If you're a newb, nothing short of lots and lots of practice with a .22 will get you anywhere. You'd need a boatload of 9mm ammo to get there.

Handgun shooting is a very perishable skill. I have to shoot 3-500 rounds a week of centerfire alone just to feel like I'm maintaining.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pdogsbeware</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why do you say the USP's are crap? Because they don't fit in your hand? I guess Glocks are crap then, cause they don't fit mine...</div></div>

The bore axis alone would be enough for me to reject it. You can't negate the laws of physics. A longer lever arm == more felt recoil.

To the original poster, I would highly recommend that you buy a $4-500 pistol (Glock, M&P, XD) and a .22 before spending $900 on a Sig. What seems "cool" to you today is a factor of marketing and probably a waste of money. If you're a newb, nothing short of lots and lots of practice with a .22 will get you anywhere. You'd need a boatload of 9mm ammo to get there.

Handgun shooting is a very perishable skill. I have to shoot 3-500 rounds a week of centerfire alone just to feel like I'm maintaining. </div></div>

There are a lot of fanboys pulling for one brand or another, generally swearing that the purchase and use of what they have is better than a testosterone patch for their confidence, and just as sure that more money spent means more ROI.

Learning how to shoot doesn't have to be prohibitively expensive, neither in a godawful amount of centerfire per week, nor in an expensive platform. In fact, there are usually plenty of SIGs, HKs and other quality pistols on the used market for reasonable money through outlets like CDNN.

You need to go out and handle, and if possible shoot a few examples of polymer, alloy, and steel weapons with different trigger modes/recoil management systems/bore axis heights/adaptive or non-adaptive grips until something feels so right that you don't want to put it down. Bear in mind that some companies now have .22LR swap-in-and-out slide/barrel units which could let you cut down a bit on the investment.

And yes, some things will seem like bricks or two-by-four ends in your hands, and not the same in the hands of others. These folks will swear by their choices as much to feel secure in their investment as they will because of any demonstrated prowess with the same. In fact, they'll swear by them just because someone else swore by them. Experiential levels are low on average any more as more people jump into shooting and hang on every word of someone who looks bitchin' in camo and a shemagh or whatever it is that gets typed by the longest and the loudest in a given forum.

I love my Sig's - but I wish I had tried a glock before buying, everyone says they are great. I definately agree with the guys above - try as many as you can before you through the money down.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">. . ., but the best advice in world is to go to a range that rents pistols, rent anything and everything you want, . . ., so pick the one that you shoot the best or are willing to learn the best. </div></div>

Good advice. Find out if you like the double action/single action trigger on the Sig and others or if you like a more single/striker version like the Glocks and XDms. See what fits in your hand and points best.

. . . Try different pistols and find what fits you best in features and actual hand fit.</div></div>

^ ^ ^ Excellent advice ^ ^ ^

Rent before you buy, or have a friend(s) that have a selection you can shoot. As you can read, some prefer Glocks, S&W M&P, Springfield XD/XDM, Sig, FN, HK, and others. Find the one YOU shoot the best and like.

Good luck with your quest,

Kevin

I love how everyone acts like you can shoot a box of ammo through a gun and determine whether you shoot it "better" than something else.

That's all bullshit. Just pick one and practice.

Do yourself a huge favor and don't spend all that money on a Sig. Get a S&W M&P - by far the better choice of of the polymer guns and spend the balance of your budget on ammo or better yet a basis reloading setup and some components. You will be light years ahead!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I love how everyone acts like you can shoot a box of ammo through a gun and determine whether you shoot it "better" than something else.

That's all bullshit. Just pick one and practice.</div></div>

Downzero, I know I wasn't saying that he would find a better shooter with a trial run but he can find something that fits his hand and maybe points better for him during firing. Just using the little trial run as a fine tuning for choice. Then obviously he would have to buy a bunch of ammo and hit the range and learn how to use it.

You are so right about pistol shooting being a perishable skill. I haven't shot pistol alot since competing heavily back in the late 90's in IDPA and when starting to compete in 3 gun and IDPA again I definitely found my skills lacking. Trying to work on them though.

Suggesting that you pick one and practice is like telling someone to walk into a shoe store, pick out a pair, put them on, pay for them, and then learn to adjust accordingly no matter what. If I didn't already own a bowling ball it'd be like grabbing the first alley ball you touched.

What I like is probably not what you like so best advice.. go to a range and try every gun. Great way to start is to have the sales guy put 10 differnt 9mm models on the counter.. even ones you didn't think about.. close your eyes and pick each one up and get the "feel" before even seeing it. Feel if you like the controls, the ergos, etc. Then once you have the "feel" for it. Point the gun (in a safe direction) and the open your eyes and see where the sights are. If you find one you like the ergos and setup and your sights are on target.. go shoot that one and see how you like it with live ammo. Then try a few more that were runners up. One will speak to you. Put hype and advertising at the back of the list. All will be more accurate than you. Just my .02

Based on what I have and have had..
G19.. great all around gun.. light weight and concealable. All glocks are pretty light in the 9mm category.. Good CCW
G26.. even though it is small.. it recoils very light and I shoot well even for just target practice. Great CCW
Sig 226.. great gun and I shoot very well. I like the decocker and Sig ergos, but it's big and heavy for CCW.
CZ75b .. Similar to the Sig, but I shoot this best of all my 9mm. Big and heavy though. Great for range.. bad for carry.

I suggest taking a look at the FNP-9. I have the .45 variant and like the ergonomics and it is a good shooter.

Try looking at these. Fnx9, m&p 9, Springfield xd/xdm or EMP, kimber aegis 9mm, Glock 17 or 19, Beretta 92. Like others have said, find one that fits you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm not a Sig fan, they are beautiful pistols, but I just can't love the DA/SA trigger pull.

I was a Glock guy, I've owned at least 10 it seems, but I've gotten a couple M&P 9mm's now and might be selling off the last couple Glock 19's if things continue down the road I'm on.

I would try the Glock 19 and the M&P 9mm, similar sized, both fun to shoot, will just depend on what feels better in your hand. </div></div>

+1 try the xd also. If you are new to pistols I say stay away from da/sa and sa pistols. They are a little more complicated to run for a beginner IMO.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OM_Rebs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">New to this forum, I looked around a little and think I am getting the hang of it.

I'm looking at buying a 9mm soon and I have done a good bit of research but I figured most of you could probably tell me much more than most of these reviews I've been reading.

I'm into rifles, but I'm pretty new to pistols so this will be my first one. Everyone I've talked to thinks it's easier to learn on 9mm vs a larger cal, but obviously not everyone thinks that. I won't be using this for carry, it'll just be for the range most likely.

The gun I like most after all the research is the Sig p226. I'm looking at spending around 800-900 so that's right on the line for some of their models like the Navy version that I really like. Do any of you own this gun or a similar model? What do yall think? I was also considering the HK USP. thanks for the help.

Hotty Toddy </div></div>

I own a 226 and beyond the most reliable when it comes to any ammo both reload and factory. mags are spendy which is the downside. sweet thing also is sig "tune-ups" are cheap and you get a new gun for it basically.

I some how lucked into winning a FNH FNS while at SHOT. From the 6 rounds I put through it, seems good and shoots POA/POI. Once I get it in I will give a more detailed report.

I love SIG stuff. I am going to throw my money at a new SIG if I'm ever going to buy another one.

I love H&Ks, and especially the P7 PSP, although I have a USPc and a Tactical in .45 . that's my preference and I value the reliablity and accuracy that I get from my H&K guns. My preference aside, I recommend as several others have done to go out and rent and shoot some pistols. If you don't have a preference, find out what your preference is before you buy. I don't like Glocks at all, that's just my .02.

I like glocks but that being said I love my m&p 9. Has great ergonomics for a polymer pistol. Just handle them all like everyone has posted. You will see what fits you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BERTMAN77MK2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">M9 would fill the bill</div></div>

I've gotta agree. I love my Beretta M9 and its also a tactical pistol that the military uses (which I think you're looking for). Plus you'll have a good amount of money left over to spend on ammo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't find 22s entertaining at all. I have one, and it's got it's uses, but centerfires are much more fun. 9mm is a great choice because ammo is so available cheaply. It's pretty hard to get a "bad" gun these days. Avoid Taurus and HiPoint and you're pretty much ok! As for picking the specific pistol, you really need to go somewhere that rents pistols (or to a friendly pistol match where you can try other peoples guns) and just try them. We all have our own opinions, but NO ONE but you can decide if the Sig or the HK is better. Both are fine guns.

In my opinion, the Sig is finer! However, I still prefer Glock even though Sigs are finer than Glocks too. </div></div>

First, 22s are entertaining as hell. Secondly, and more importantly, they are a great training tool for a new shooter such as the OP. It may fly in the face of conventional wisdom but I'd have no qualms about carrying a 22 for personal defense everyday. Don't think it can be lethal? Stand in front of my muzzle.

Third, you're going to have to define "bad" instead of just putting it in quotation marks. If I'm making a firearm purchase, handgun or otherwise, that I may deploy in a life or death situation, I need a solid, proven design, reliability, performance and ergonomics. To me, those characteristics are a necessity, not a luxury, and I'm not confident that "most" off-the-shelf handguns "nowadays" can provide me that peace of mind. Just because it goes boom doesn't mean it isn't bad.

However, I do agree that getting your hands on some different options can be beneficial. I rented an M&P9 at a local range because I was intent on buying one and after 4 or 5 boxes I decided it wasn't for me, I bought a Glock, and never looked back.