• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Pics from tornado cleanup

ggarrett1911

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 15, 2008
Clarksville, VA
Heres some pics from earlier today. Myself & 2 other local Hide members use this farm to shoot out to 500 yards, & of course the twister last Saturday went right through the middle of it! The last I heard it was rated as an F2 & was on the ground for 26 miles, 16 of those were in Halifax County VA. The farm is uninhabited, so no one was injured thankfully. Neighbors are 350-400 yards away & only got a few broken windows. I'd say they were quite lucky! After it passed through this property it jumped the river & caused quite a bit of damage to Staunton River State Park.

Tornado2011004.jpg

Tornado2011003.jpg

Tornado2011007.jpg

Tornado2011011.jpg

Tornado2011012.jpg

Tornado2011009.jpg

More to follow...

Re: Pics from tornado cleanup

Tornado2011014.jpg

Tornado2011015.jpg

Tornado2011016.jpg

This was a small old house... you can see I was standing at the edge of the foundation where the chimney fell
Tornado2011017.jpg

Here's what's left of the walls & roof scattered into the woods for about 50 yards
Tornado2011018.jpg

This is right off of Highway 58, the pile of junk was an old house they've cleaned up...
Tornado2011028.jpg

Lots of snapped & twisted off trees around the edge of the field. This is about 700-800 yards before it reached the farm in the first pics.
Tornado2011029.jpg

Tornado2011033.jpg

Tornado2011032.jpg

Tornado2011031.jpg

Tornado2011030.jpg

Wow. Those things are scary as hell. Only ever seen a small in eastern Colorado as a kid. Makes me appreciate the desert where the only weather is hot.

Thanks for the photos, a lot ofmy moms side of the family came from down there in red dirt bacca country. Juat think that was just an F2.

Goldie, I couldn't begin to imagine what some of the folks out in "Tornado Alley" go through with major F4 & F5's every year.

It was a mess, no doubt vatriggerman66 (your pics will be on the way shortly once I chase my wife off the laptop LOL!)... good thing is once it's all cleaned up we might get another 100 to 200 yards to shoot on!

Vatriggerman66 is close family friends with the owners of this farm and who got permission for us to shoot there. He & Will67 are the other 2 local Hide members I spoke of in the original post.

While watching ABC33/40 Birmingham, James Spann had tower cam trained on oncoming Tornado IN Tuscaloosa. He almost yelled out to the public watching for them to pray for those in its path, this is a killer storm. I have looked at vids of tornadoes but not ever one that is actually happening. The most powerless feeling you can imagine. My cousin's was in direct path but suffered little damage, GOD IS GOOD.

I remember years back when a storm spawning F4 and F5 tornadoes came through ... it sucked the grass of the ground and left a trail of destruction for about 200 yards wide all throughout this area.

The trees and ground looked like those photos of no-mans-land from WWI.

I can't begin to imagine what the folks in Alabama & Georgia went through the other day... This was an F2, I never want to witness an F4 or F5!

About 4 or 5 years ago a friend and I went to a little hobby shop in Danville VA to pick up some fuel. While we were there an F2 went through about 50 to 75 yards behind the hobby shop... shook the building hard enough to break the lines holding a couple of the R/C planes up in the ceiling and took part of the back of the roof off. Everybody in the store (6 or 8 of us including the owner, his wife & son) was huddled up in the back corner trying to cover & protect a couple of children in case the big plate glass windows imploded... that was some scary shit!!!

I hope that everyone is safe. Even if it wasn't in use, it is nice to hear about a few good gentlemen cleaning things up.

God bless to all of those living in Tornado Alley

Unreal! The pics of the sheared-off trees reminds one of how the men in the Ardennes described all the trees severed by massed artillery bombardments. Scary sh#t...

It got nasty around here. The widespread damage is not near as bad as having to search for missing people and finding baby's to elderly dead. They found an infant under 6 months in a tree, luckily it was still alive but no one knows who the baby belongs to. It has been utter devastation. Sad,sad times. We have and will continue to pull together and help as many as we can. It's tough though. Keep all in your prayers and remember to donate anything you can. As always thanks to the hide and members for all you do. Tommy

Lost about 1/2 the roof on the house my brother and I own down in Fall Branch TN. Glass and fist size hail don't get along well. The stupid SOB that built it put 180-200 sq ft of sky lights over a 400 sq ft room. We replaced the roof with a proper roof.

When my brother went out to get plastic to cover the furniture and stuff inside there was 4" of ice on the ground.

Other than that, if it was plastic and outside it got shredded. Fortunately no injuries and damage to things other than the roof was minimal.

snwghst, Bondos... glad you guys are OK & sorry to see the damage sustained down there & hear of the casualties. I would shake your hands & buy ya'll a couple of cold ones for doing what you have to do in that situation... Loss of life to a natural disaster is never a good thing, but I can't help to think how much worse it could have been. Imagine if we didn't have Doppler radar & the technology to try to predict & track these things. I'm sure there would've been a lot more critically injured & dead.

That 6 month old infant is proof to me that miracles do happen, & hopefully the parents are OK & actively searching for their child as I know I would be. Thoughts & prayers to all you guys & gals dealing with the aftermath of this storm.

Packratt, that sounds like a pretty good mess you had too, glad there were no injuries or worse for ya'll too! Where are you at in VA BTW?

Fritz24, funny you say that...that's exactly what my first thoughts were when I first saw the trees snapped & twisted off like that! I told my Dad that it looked a lot like descriptions I've heard or read of Bastogne & the Battle of the Bulge after the big German artillery strikes.

In New Zealand were not really used to natural disasters and Tornadoes really are pretty foreign to us .
A few days ago a large one sweeped through Auckland's north shore city area killing one and injuring several .Many trees were snapped and roofs were ripped of the building , even pulling traffic lights out of the ground.
Still I gotta say as freaky as that was seeing the MFer of a twister you guys had -one mile across you'd think hell had come to earth

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ggarrett1911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Packratt, that sounds like a pretty good mess you had too, glad there were no injuries or worse for ya'll too! Where are you at in VA BTW? </div></div>

Near Richmond.