• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

pics of Canadian F 18 going down

Re: pics of Canadian F 18 going down

...And the video:

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AfiCyVKnSSw"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AfiCyVKnSSw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

There was a bit of a documentary on the pilot, this past Monday I think. It wasn't too bad at all. When he finishes healing from the 'Seat', he should be back up there.

For all that didn't work right for him that day, there sure was a heck of a lot that did!

Since I don´t know, I´ll ask... Is there any way to "steer" away from that or is it just a one way ticket down and pray that you don´t land in the fire?

I don't think you could steer on a ejection. From what I've heard the ejection is very hard on your body and you'd be lucky not to be broken up after you eject. My uncle worked with the 187th out of Montgomery, AL on F-4's and the F-16's when they arrived. He was over the mech. crew.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For all that didn't work right for him that day, there sure was a heck of a lot that did!</div></div>

Better buy Egress a case of beer.

I watched an F15 burn after the turbine blades came apart just as the pilot began to take off. The jock popped the canopy, climbed out and ran just before the cockpit was engulfed in flames. He was criticized for not punching out. He said he would take the reaming over ejection any day. Most who eject have back or neck problems.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't think you could steer on a ejection.</div></div>

On the day I retired we had a Wild Weseal catch fire on take off. The jock set it back down, but lost control. He punched out, but drifted into the wreckage. IIRC he lived three days.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EddieNFL</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't think you could steer on a ejection.</div></div>

On the day I retired we had a Wild Weseal catch fire on take off. The jock set it back down, but lost control. He punched out, but drifted into the wreckage. IIRC he lived three days. </div></div>

That sucks. Bro in law lost his jet from under him at Red Flag (A Wild Wesal also) ejection almost killed him, but he made it out and then looked down adn found himself floating into the fireball.....slight gust of wind right at the last moment saved him from the big BBQ.

Very lucky guy. I wonder if those parachutes have any directional
control? Or is it just the demostration teams who get those chutes?

It depends on the type of parachute that is in the ejection seat (there are many types of ejection seats). Many chutes do have a 'system' that allows one to "steer". One system is a 4 line release, in which 4 of the connecting lines are severed on the back side of the chute. This really only makes your forward progress better. The other method is a riser pull. You pull on one of the two risers and that side of the chute will let out more escaping air (under the chute) and will turn. None of the systems will allow steerage like the Army jump teams or weekend skydivers. With enough altitude, you should be able to avoid a fireball of a jet (if you are concious and not 'broken').

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EddieNFL</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For all that didn't work right for him that day, there sure was a heck of a lot that did!</div></div>

Better buy Egress a case of beer.

I watched an F15 burn after the turbine blades came apart just as the pilot began to take off. The jock popped the canopy, climbed out and ran just before the cockpit was engulfed in flames. He was criticized for not punching out. He said he would take the reaming over ejection any day. Most who eject have back or neck problems.

</div></div>

Interesting - I've often wondered about that. That's a pretty damned violent ejection, so it stands to reason the pilot's body may take a permanent injury from that.

Most fighters now have the Aces II ejection seat, no steering. I'm not up on the newest models such as the F-22 / F-35. Back in the day (F-4's and whatnot)it was Martin Baker, and the saying was "Meet your maker in a Martin Baker". Pilots also stood a fair chance off being cut off at the knees by the "dash board" (in the F-4)if the seat didn't retract you legs. Use your google fu for more seat info, I'm sure you'll find all the answers your looking for. ~wingnut13

Pilots cannot steer ejection seats. And former NATOPS and NAMI stated that two punches and your military flying career was over.

I saw an S-4 Viking take off and lose a motor After a slow roll the pilot punched (the pilot controls ejection for everyone). The two guys in the back got out but by the time time the pilots got out the ejection seat shot them right into the water in front of the carrier.

There is a new seat that is controlled by steerable rockets using the gyros in the seat and that at no matter what altitude and attitude it turn the seat up and get it to a altitude that will be high enough for the chute to deploy and get the driver on the ground safely. Havent heard when they will start installing them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Pilots cannot steer ejection seats. And former NATOPS and NAMI stated that two punches and your military flying career was over.

I saw an S-4 Viking take off and lose a motor After a slow roll the pilot punched (the pilot controls ejection for everyone). The two guys in the back got out but by the time time the pilots got out the ejection seat shot them right into the water in front of the carrier. </div></div>

Flying career is determined by the flight surgeon regardless of the number of ejections (However, if you are having multiple ejections, you should probably get the hint and do something else).

The S-3 had 2 selector position for ejection: single and group. In single, any person pulling the handle would eject only his seat. In group, any person pulling the handle would eject everyone in the order of rear left, rear right, front right, and then front left (pilot position). As per NATOPS, selector will be in group from before takeoff until after landing (unless circuit breakers or equipment justified going singles and safing the seats).

BTW, I am a current instructor pilot in the T-6 Texan II (Martin Baker seat). I spent 6 years (in the early 90s) as a Naval Aircrewmen in the S-3. When I went through the S-3 schoolhouse, I knew an AW that had an ejection similar to the one discribed above (perhaps the same one). He was unable to fly for several years as a result of his injuries from skipping across the water.

Maxpower, thank you for pointing that out. I did not fly in the Viking however, knew many AWs that did. It would be an interesting coincidence if your friend was the guy I saw punch out.

Also, It is the S-3 viking as you point out, not the S-4 and that is my mistake.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hunter81</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That was cool </div></div>

Really.....? Thankfully the pilot nor anyone else wasn't injured too badly for your "cool show".....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mgd45</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hunter81</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That was cool </div></div>

Really.....? Thankfully the pilot nor anyone else wasn't injured too badly for your "cool show"..... </div></div>

+1.....Not to mention the 2.1 billion dollar upgrade that they did on a bird from 1982 that just went up in smoke...Man what a bummer
frown.gif
....Thank God the pilot is ok and will fly again!!
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: .308 LPT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
+1.....Not to mention the 2.1 billion dollar upgrade that they did on a bird from 1982 that just went up in smoke...Man what a bummer
frown.gif
....Thank God the pilot is ok and will fly again!!
smile.gif
</div></div>

I'm pretty sure they meant all of their F18s had an upgrade that cost 2.1 bil. If not, they got ripped off, they could have bought an aircraft carrier or B-2 for that.

Yea that's true...!!! I didn't snap that they said billion even though I typed it...For some reason I was thinking million...