• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Pics of new home shop.

STR

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 1, 2010
Miami Florida
As many have already heard, Suarez Tactical Rifles is closing as an FFL custom rifle shop. The decision was made about three months ago. Family matters, and the time to start smelling the roses has come for me, so it is time to retire the business. I will continue to build rifles as a hobby, and contribute what I can to the Hide as time allows. I would like to take this time to thank all of you that supported my business here on Snipers Hide. It was a great pleasure to serve you. Below are some pictures to my new beginings. It was tough figuring out what to keep and what to sell, as it all did not fit in the garage at home. The space is only 18 x 20, but I got enough to build anything I may want. Again thank you.

DSC_0171.jpg

DSC_0167.jpg

DSC_0166.jpg

DSC_0165.jpg

DSC_0164.jpg

DSC_0163.jpg

DSC_0162.jpg

DSC_0161.jpg

DSC_0160.jpg

DSC_0159.jpg

url]

url]

url]

url]

Re: Pics of new home shop.

looks great ozzie. looks like you made good use of the minimal space available.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: STR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
DSC_0158.jpg

DSC_0157.jpg

DSC_0156.jpg

DSC_0155.jpg
</div></div>

Damn! That's a tight fit.

Looks like you kept the good stuff. Those are once in a lifetime purchases and I doubt you would find another Clausing Colchester or Bridgeport in the same condition.

LOL. The spindal just rubbed on the tiebeam ever so slightly as I slid it off the trailer. I was working alone, so I didn't want to pull forward on the trailer anymore without a spotter. The Bridgeport is a 2 HP variable speed head with a 9 x 48 table on it. All the machines are 3 phase running on a 7.5 HP rotary phase converter. The oven is my only issue. I would like to convert it to a single phase 220 service because I think it overloads the converter. Other than that I'm very happy with everything else.

The lathe and mill are in like new condition and I pray they last my life time because I really don't want anything else. Just as info for those that have the same lathe, I recently had it not running and found that the problem was a loose terminal screw had fallen out of the start switch in the front. When I reinstalled it, I found that all the others were also loose. As a PM you may want to check yours before they come off as mine did.

The only bad part is that I know my wife wants to move within the next couple of years, so I will have to move it again at that time. The good side to that is that I will get a bigger garage, I hope.

Thanks a lot guys for the nice comments.

Tell your wife if she wants to move, that you want a house with a small shop behind the house. Nice looking setup, be careful with the oven. Best of luck.

I have always wanted a stand alone shop, but that will not be possible in our area due to zoning. If we do build a new house or renovate an exsisting one, and I ask for more space, I can almost guarantee that she will do it for me. All that I have including the freedom to do what ever I desire without nagging, including the rifle business and now hobby shop is because of my wife. I'll try to post pics of some future rifle builds, since I had to keep all the actions, and stocks I had in inventory. I'll be busy for atleast a year. That's building one for my self once a month, which you know won't happen. Thanks again guys.

I still have to fine tune the area and remember where things go now, but there is no dead lines to meet, no constant emails, and text to answer, no bills and orders to keep track of, so I have all the time in the world to build or work on rifles. You guys that own your own shop know what I mean. Today I was able to go to the range and enjoy shooting for a change without the worries of getting back to the shop to complete or work on a project. Maybe now I will be able to travel to better places to shoot at longer distance, once I take a little brake with my family.

Oh, and BTW have no worries about business, there is plenty of it. I didn't close due to lack of it, but because I couldn't go on working 70 hours a week and not pay attention to my family, and my life. I'm starting to get old and want to smell the roses while I still can. I will continue working as a lineman for FPL, just 40 hours a week with occasional over time. I may stay on as a parts supplier, but that's up in the air at this time. Remember guys, you only get one chance at life.

STR,

How do you like the Clausing Colchester? That is the model I plan to buy myself. Do you have a 13" or 15"? Which would you recommend?

Years ago I was a Bridgeport serviceman, working for the northern California dealer. I am hoping to find a cherry Series I, ideally with a short table.

-Steve

Thats a badass garage! How about them precision movers you got there!!

Glad to see you are still doing work, I'd hate to see so much wasted talent!

I love that lathe. It is the 13x40. There are other company's that sell copy's of this machine, but I have no experience with them. I do recommend the 13 inch colchester. LOL now, but it was hairy on the moving part with no help. I'm very happy with the equipment I have, and believe it or not, I'm especially happy with my Heavy 10. Northland I love that rifle you posted on the A4 pics thread, LOL. I have couple of those stocks, and plan to build one like yours, only in a 6.5 caliber. Thanks again guys.

Ozzie

Well I'm gonna shot this barrel out son and then it'll be changed from a .308 to a .243 or a .260

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: STR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I love that lathe. It is the 13x40. There are other company's that sell copy's of this machine, but I have no experience with them. I do recommend the 13 inch colchester. LOL now, but it was hairy on the moving part with no help. I'm very happy with the equipment I have, and believe it or not, I'm especially happy with my Heavy 10. Northland I love that rifle you posted on the A4 pics thread, LOL. I have couple of those stocks, and plan to build one like yours, only in a 6.5 caliber. Thanks again guys.

Ozzie </div></div>

You like the Heavy 10, interesting. I have only used a couple of Southbend lathes, they were not impressive, but must not have been the Heavy model. What operations do you prefer using the Heavy 10? I looked on ebay, etc, they are not expensive.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Northland</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well I'm gonna shot this barrel out son and then it'll be changed from a .308 to a .243 or a .260 </div></div>

Soon not Son, lol wasn't calling you a boy Mr. Suarez :)

Luke you made me LOL. you sir may call me anything you like and it would be like my son said it. I have a great deal of respect for you because of what you do and who you are. Thank you

I like the heavy 10 because it is like a 66 Corvette compared to a modern Corvette. The newer machine does everything more efficiently and is more rugged, but there is nothing you can't do in making a precision rifle with one than you can't do with the other. As long as you are not in a hurry. I do prefer the colchester for holding my action jig because it is way more rigid. I have build complete rifles on the heavy 10. Just ask Northland how he likes his 700. If I could only have one, it would be the Colchester, but I really like old stuff that performs well and is a part of American history, like the 66 vette. Thanks.

I love both of my STR rifles very much. The 700 won a SWAT sniper comp last year.

Ozzie, that Place looks great. Hopefully when Mark is done building mine I might try to fund a M40a3 build. Hope things are well for you and the family.

After you get that rifle from Mark you won't even remember me, LOL. you're going to fall in love with his work.