• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

pictanny rail 0moa, 20 moa,30moa ?

huntdog13

Private
Minuteman
Apr 12, 2014
Looking at seekins rail and scope rings. Dont understand differences in the pictanny rails. Seems like 20 moa is most popular. Really considering Vortex pst scope and want to get right mounts for it. Mounting it on rem 700 sendero 7mm mag. I'm a newbie to proper long range shooting. Always used 3x9 powered scopes and held over like Robin Hood. Any info would be awesome.

I would go with at least a 20 MOA base with the PST if it is a 6-24 power it will only have 65MOA of adjustment in the turrent. Also what distances are you going to be shooting 600 yds or beyond 1000yds. I went with a 30 MOA base on my 243 with a 6-24 PST shooting 105 hybrids at 3160ft/sec. it takes 23MOA for 1000yds , zeroed at 100yds it is still short on adjustment for the mile target.

It all depends on what range you want to shoot.

With that 7mm you might be sending em far. Unless there is some disadvantage to using the 30 MOA base (I've not come across one) why not use that? I wish i had on my 300 win mag.

Plan on starting inside 700 yard range and working my way up. It would be awesome to shoot out to 1000 plus eventually. Thanks for info. Makes sense to get the 30 moa to have more adjustment out to farther distances. Dont wanna be limited down the road. Thanks again.

Figure it this way: Half the scope's adjustment range is wasted at zero MOA. So if your scope has a 60 MOA range, get a 20 MOA base to make up 20 of the 30. If it has a 100 MOA range, get a 40 MOA base. You don't want to push your luck too far - leave some room for zeroing. So if your scope has an 80 MOA range, a 40 MOA base is pushing it - you might not be able to get a 100 yard zero.

Or, if half your scope's adjustment range will get you as far as you need to go, just go with zero and forget about it.