• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Picture of PVS-22/27 on a DTA?

jmptx

Private
Minuteman
Nov 1, 2012
Texas
Looking for pictures of PVS-22 and PVS-27 mounted on a DTA. A picture being worth a thousand words, it might help me in my decision.

Also, if anyone has experience with this setup, I would love to hear that as well.

There was one of the DTA website some years back, shot through NODs, of Nick shooting an SRS with their PVS-27, but I don't see it. The only thing a quick search came up with is this one with a PVS-24.

Sniper-Country-Training.jpg

Looking for pictures of PVS-22 and PVS-27 mounted on a DTA. A picture being worth a thousand words, it might help me in my decision.

Also, if anyone has experience with this setup, I would love to hear that as well.

May I suggest match your clip on to your day optic and the distance you will be shooting. A DTI is generally held to be a precision weapon primarily designed in larger calibers for longer ranges. A PVS 22 is not likely to be "Enough Optic" for anything above 8 power. The 27 is good solidly to 12 power and starts to run out of gas above that. A CNVD LR will hold most day optics solidly to 18 power and can do 20 under the right conditions.

The pvs24 is a similar size range to the pvs22 if I am not mistaken, so this does help a bit.

Maybe a good question to ask would be, if there is anyone who has gotten the Pvs-27 that wishes they opted for the pvs22 based on size. My concern is the size of the 27 not justified in the capability I will get at say 500 yards for hog hunts.

For my intended use, the 22 likely covers the ground pretty well, but I am also a fan of getting the extra capability of the 27 but not at the cost of having a system that it unwieldy. They both are clearly great nvds with pluses and minuses for both, so I am just mostly looking for some opinions (and pictures) from folks.

Thoughts?

May I suggest match your clip on to your day optic and the distance you will be shooting. A DTI is generally held to be a precision weapon primarily designed in larger calibers for longer ranges. A PVS 22 is not likely to be "Enough Optic" for anything above 8 power. The 27 is good solidly to 12 power and starts to run out of gas above that. A CNVD LR will hold most day optics solidly to 18 power and can do 20 under the right conditions.

Correct, this is why I am seriously considering the 27, and my only worry is about size. possible that is an unfounded worry. I have not looked into the CNVD LR, but will check it out.

I hope this is not a thread jack but this has made me wonder. Is it difficult to see the reticle when using a clipon? How would this be affected if using a FFP rifle scope on a lower power magnification? Sorry for the off topic question, I have never looked through a clipon and figured some of you guys would know.

I hope this is not a thread jack but this has made me wonder. Is it difficult to see the reticle when using a clipon? How would this be affected if using a FFP rifle scope on a lower power magnification? Sorry for the off topic question, I have never looked through a clipon and figured some of you guys would know.

I haven't had any trouble with it so far. While illumination isn't a bad thing to have it always isn't a must. But I'm sure reticle design will matter. Depending on how thick it is at low power.

I have two clip ons. The LWTS thermal which can and does do both as a clip on and as a stand alone. And a PVS-24, which i use in front of an eotech and an ACOG, and a Leupold CQBss. I keep the CQB at 4X as that is where it seems to work great. I have no problem seeing the reticle with either.

Just as an aside last evening I was in a wooded area near a feeder waiting for a pig to show up and be stupid. None did, but Deer, Turkey and a very large clan of Racoons did. The night was very dark as the moon had not come up yet. The distance was 125 yards. Without the use of IR I could not distinguish one coon from the others. With the use of the LWTS it was very clear, and that was in front of an eotech with a 3X magnifier.

I was going to get the CNVD-LR but now with the clarity of the LWTS I will rethink that. IMHO the clip on is the way to go.

Lit reticle with a clip on has not been needed or desirable for me but ffp reticles do get pretty damn small when dialed down into the lower power range. It's a trade off as I would rather have the holdover/wind capability of the ffp then size at all mags. My .02 worth.

I almost never use the illuminated reticle when I am running a clip-on.