• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Pig0311-g Tripod performance?

Jarrodb1975

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 2, 2019
Just wandering if and anybody has one of these tripods from hog saddle? Thinking about getting one to use for spotter and any stages that require one in prs.

Thanks

And does anyone know where these are manufactured? 😁

For the price I think it is very hard to beat. It is not the lightest or most versatile but it is solid. Certainly solid enough for even a fairly heavy spotter.
I’ve had mine about a year no complaints.

mid weight is a major issue than pony up and get a more expensive carbon tripod. If not I think it’s a great buy.
It is a modded to spec slik Tripod which I believe they are still selling on their sight.

again for the price buy it and run it and if you find that it’s not enough for you as a shooting Tripod let it become your dedicated tripod for your spotter

I would spend more money and get something better, a leg on mine came apart after about 3 months use.

I have one with the FB 52 ball head. Works awesome. Not going to be as light as some others but very solid. Was recommended to me by LEO who attended a LE sniper class and used them there

Have had one since they first came out. It’s no RRS but for the price it’s hard to beat. I’ve been able to get nice and sturdy shooting positions using it and if it’s just going to be used for a spotter then you’ll defiantly be good

I need a shooting tripod that can handle some weight and be stable...

My cheap Sirui seems to fit the bill and maybe overkill for my spotter --$126 and it can support 40lbs., standing and goes down to 8". It's compact and light. But I see guys using much beefier ones. Should I go cheap Sirui (they make great stuff, this one happens to be low price and does everything I wanted for a spotter) or a larger one with bowl and PG ball head, etc.?

Or should I just call Doug again and let him handle it? I'll be doing that anyway but I'd still like some options if possible and like the OP I was looking at the 0311 PIG too but then the specs weren't as good as the cheap Sirui so I put it off and it still doesn't make sense. I gotta be missing something here and it's not CF models vs. aluminum, I get that.

For the price I think it is very hard to beat. It is not the lightest or most versatile but it is solid. Certainly solid enough for even a fairly heavy spotter.
I’ve had mine about a year no complaints.

mid weight is a major issue than pony up and get a more expensive carbon tripod. If not I think it’s a great buy.
It is a modded to spec slik Tripod which I believe they are still selling on their sight.

again for the price buy it and run it and if you find that it’s not enough for you as a shooting Tripod let it become your dedicated tripod for your spotter

This was exactly my take. Got the full PIG-0311 with Sunwayfoto ballhead and PIG saddle. For the money it's hard to beat, especially direct mounting to the tripod. Works great as a dedicated spotter, but I ended up switching to the RRS 34L + Anvil-30 combo for my 24lb rifle.

Alright, I assumed it was japan since slik is a Japanese company but maybe they make them in Thailand. Still not China (in my best trump voice)
CHYNA!

In all seriousness, the Pig tripod punches above it's price point in my opinion especially when you hang your pack on the hook and weight it down. The ballhead is about what you pay for. I use the same ballhead from sunwayfoto but with the longer neck. The longer neck does induce a little more wiggle room, but the lockup should be the same and it's just not on the level of more expensive ballheads.

All in all, I believe it leaves a bit to be desired for mounting a rifle to it with arca and shooting off it (still very doable), but it's more than adequate for a spotting scope tripod.

These with an Anvil-30 seem to be a good compromise on price and function.

I have one and it would be fine for a spotter. Made in Thailand (kind of a shock to see) but still feels solid. I wouldn’t try to hang on it like in some of the tripod reviews, but it’s held a 19 pound rifle just fine.

They are very good for the price. It’s been mentioned already but they based the design on the SLIK and claim some parts were beefed up. The cam locks on mine hold the legs tightly. They also come with an attachable hook for the bottom of the stem to hang a pack for added stability. They also come with a set of spikes. One downside is the spikes aren’t just inside the rubber feet like a lot of camera tripods. The rubber feet have to be removed and the spikes screwed into the legs in their place. There is an included wrench to tighten them. It’s easy enough, just something else to keep up with.

I put a Benro LBA2 leveling base on mine with an ADM/B&T QD picatinny rail clamp. Then I mounted picatinny rails to a pig saddle, my Bino tripod adapter, and anything else I might want to put on it. It makes it simple to switch from Binos to the rifle then back again.

F27E48E7-30F5-4C87-9C95-2A1C4117C113.png

I had one and it’s pretty good for the cost. Definitely don’t need to get any grand illusions of hitting small targets from far away in a standing position. I thought a tac table and a game changer was quicker and just as stable as a direct mounted rifle, especially with “not RRS” heads.

One thing you can do is delete the center column and eliminate one of the variables causing instability. If you look around there’s a thread about it in the general equipment forum.

I have one and it gets the job done. I added a RRS leveling base between my saddle and my 0311. I much prefer it over the ballhead. It has as much adjustment as I see myself needing with my rifle on the tripod.