• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Pigtail has tube?

eli polite

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 9, 2010
delaware
Is there such a thing as a rifle length gas tube for a mid length gas system?

I’m working on an AR with a 14.5” barrel it has a mid length port. I want to reduce recoil as much as humanly possible on it.

I have used several comp rifles and the felt recoil is drastically less in part to a rifle length gas system.

Does any one make one? Who

Will it do any thing for a 14.5” barrel to have a rifle length tube on it?

Will it be to touchy to have such a set up?

Thanks for any help or suggestion.

Is there such a thing as a rifle length tube for a mid length system?

Is a circle a square?

If you want a rifle length system you will need a barrel that isnt made for a mid length system.

Install an adjustable gas block and you can cut down on the excess gas moving through the system. It wont effect your dwell time any like a longer system would but it will take the extra off.

IIRC the shortest barrel length that will work reliably with a rifle length gas system is 18", which is why you see some 3 gun guys use 18" AR's.

Spife's right , use an adjustable gas block to tune the gas system.

M4carbine.net has a ton of no non-sense info on different length gas systems for AR's and how to troubleshoot problems.

I assume this is what you were referring to, but was allready stated just use an adjustable gas block and tune the rifle to the load you are using.

Attachments

• images-1.jpg
    images-1.jpg
    2.4 KB · Views: 28
Reactions: shoobe01
Never seen pigtail for mid-length, only pistol/carbine. Might be able to make one though from rifle or extended rifle tube if that's what you want.

Thanks for all the reply’s. I have adjustable gas blocks on all of my ARs I have just never set out with the goal of building a minimal recoil AR.

I know there are a lot of factors buffers, buffersprings, muzzle brake, gas system, BCG weigh. All affect the recoil I have adjustable gas blocks on all of my ARs however all of my ARs have heavy BCG’s and all of them use standard buffer systems. So while I am familiar with the AR rifle I’m doing my best to understand recoil reduction. I have done the YouTube thing and there is some debate on buffer set ups and BCG weight should you go heavy or lite?

I built a 68spc with a 20" rifle gas barrel and going into it I allready knew that they could be very finicky with some factory ammo.
I played around with it and a variety of factory ammo with standard weight carrier and buffer and only proved to myself what I had expected, switched to a JP low mass nitride carrier and the LMOS buffer with adjustable gas block and it will cycle pretty much anything I put in it.
Another pleasant bonus on top of having a very mild recoil impulse is it runs very clean since it uses far less gas pressure to cycle the bolt and carrier.

Reactions: jda2631
I have done the YouTube thing and there is some debate on buffer set ups and BCG weight should you go heavy or lite?
For 3 gun there is absolutely no debate, low mass is the way to go. Steel carriers are the best balance of reliability/lifespan and aluminum is the pinnacle of race parts. You wouldn't believe how a rifle gas system, aluminum carrier, 0.25oz plastic buffer, aggressive brake and 55gr bullets at 2500fps feels. It makes a Ruger 10/22 feel like an AK47. But, and it's a big but, I had to toss an aluminum carrier at under 2500 rounds and won't go back because of that.
I've used 18" rifle gas, 16" rifle gas, 16" intermediate, and 14.5 mid for 3 gun. You can get an intermediate system to shoot just about as soft as rifle, and I'm tempted to try a 14.5" intermediate since its the equivalent of a 16" rifle gas which is doable. I'll probably build a 13" mid next year for bay matches instead though. I've spent a lot of time and money chasing a recoiless rifle and it's been fun but you can get 95% of the available performance easily, chasing that last 5% just goes too far. Money is better spent on practice ammo.

For 3 gun there is absolutely no debate, low mass is the way to go. Steel carriers are the best balance of reliability/lifespan and aluminum is the pinnacle of race parts. You wouldn't believe how a rifle gas system, aluminum carrier, 0.25oz plastic buffer, aggressive brake and 55gr bullets at 2500fps feels. It makes a Ruger 10/22 feel like an AK47. But, and it's a big but, I had to toss an aluminum carrier at under 2500 rounds and won't go back because of that.
I've used 18" rifle gas, 16" rifle gas, 16" intermediate, and 14.5 mid for 3 gun. You can get an intermediate system to shoot just about as soft as rifle, and I'm tempted to try a 14.5" intermediate since its the equivalent of a 16" rifle gas which is doable. I'll probably build a 13" mid next year for bay matches instead though. I've spent a lot of time and money chasing a recoiless rifle and it's been fun but you can get 95% of the available performance easily, chasing that last 5% just goes too far. Money is better spent on practice ammo.

I have a 12” SBR all the rest are 16” barrels other than my ar10 it has an 18” barrel. The current set up I’m working on is a 14.5” I have the aggressive break already and the adjustable gas block. I do not have my BCG or buffer system

I forgot to write the whole moral of my story somehow. Mid gas is a noticeable step down in softness from a intermediate or rifle but it can be made to shoot just as flat, which has more of an effect on scores than softness. A plug and play setup would be to get a JP low mass carrier, Taccom plastic buffer and light buffer spring, pair that with your brake and AGB and be happy. Light loads are the only thing worth doing after that. A fully adjustable stock optimized for an aggressive stance is extremely helpful too.