• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Pillar Bedding Advice

jester_101

Private
Minuteman
Mar 7, 2022
South Australia
Hi all, I'm in need of some advice.

I have a Mcmillan HTG that requires pillar bedding (current holes are 9/16") and I want to use the ScoreHigh Rem700 pillar bedding kit (which are 5/8" pillars).

What's the best way to drill out the fibreglass stock to 5/8"? With minimum splintering/chipping out... I've been thinking of use a spade bit but looking for some more expert opinions.

Cheers, Jester

Hi all, I'm in need of some advice.

I have a Mcmillan HTG that requires pillar bedding (current holes are 9/16") and I want to use the ScoreHigh Rem700 pillar bedding kit (which are 5/8" pillars).

What's the best way to drill out the fibreglass stock to 5/8"? With minimum splintering/chipping out... I've been thinking of use a spade bit but looking for some more expert opinions.

Cheers, Jester
A quality forstner bit would be best, but if you mark center well with a very small bit or a little punch a spade could work, but be careful the point doesn't go through

Reactions: TheOfficeT-Rex
If you have a drill press and a drill press vise, You can get it done with a forstner bit

If you plan on using a hand drill, I'd rather use a dremel tool.
Secure the pillars to the action, take your time, check fit often

Reactions: camocorvette
If you have a drill press and a drill press vise, You can get it done with a forstner bit

If you plan on using a hand drill, I'd rather use a dremel tool.
Secure the pillars to the action, take your time, check fit often
I definitely have a sturdy drill press and vice which will definitely get used. Just working out what bit to use. Thanks

I definitely have a sturdy drill press and vice which will definitely get used. Just working out what bit to use. Thanks
I prefer to use a center cutting HSS end mill in the mill or drill press. They cut a nice controlled hole.