• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

pillar bedding the Rem. 700 vtr ?

p5200

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 23, 2008
poplar bluff mo.
Has anyone tried pillar bedding then, removing the pressure pads at the stock forend tip? I've heard of some removing the pressure pads not knowing, there was a lot of side pressure on one side or the other and wound up with the barrel touching one side of the stock then shooting worse. I thought maybe, if I pillar bedded first and then, removed the pressure pads the barrel might stay centered and be fully free floated. Of course, I guess that depends on whether the action is under stress or not. If the barrel turns out to be a good one, I plan to add a Timney trigger and maybe, a Bell & Carlson stock depending on what I can do with the factory stock. But the Timney trigger is a sure thing providing, the barrel is a good one. I would love to hear Any results from pillar bedding and full free floating of this model rifle. Thanks!
smile.gif

Re: pillar bedding the Rem. 700 vtr ?

i don't think the plastic rem stock is worth the trouble. get the B&C and you'll be alot happier.
put my sps-v in a H-S pss stock and its tact driver now.

If you have the skills and can do it yourself, fine...give it a shot, but I wouldn't pay to have it professionally done...the stock is not worth putting any money into it at all. Think B&C.

TC

i would not waist my time better to get a different stock. I put a a short tatical on a B&C light tactical A3 ,shoots really well .35 MOA

http://varmintxt.webs.com/rem700vtr.htm

This guy in the review decided to "free float" the barrel by dremeling the pressure pads off the original stock. Apparently after he did this, the barrel touched one side of the stock. Either the stock was warped or when the action was torqued to the stock it shifted. Either way he ended up buying a much better stock.

Save yourself the trouble and buy an aftermarket stock.

pick up one of the hs take off stocks on the EE then your working with something decent for cheap.