• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Pistol Carry on Motorcycle

Coffee_and_Pipes

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
May 6, 2018
TX
Does anyone happen to carry a pistol while riding their motorcycle? If so, what method/holster works for you, and what type of bike are you riding?

Open carry is legal where I live, so I’ve thought a chest rig over my jacket might work best for road trips or days where I’m just out riding. I suppose if I stopped somewhere, I could take the chest rig off and put it on under my jacket. The Kenai chest holster seems to be the best bet for this.

I’m wary of waistband carry because of possible retention issues, and if I get in a wreck, I don’t want anything near my spine or hips to augment what the ground is already going to do.

For reference, I currently ride an R3, but I’m hoping to pick up a Bonneville later this year. Neither of these bikes would affect how a chest holster works, but they might affect what you recommend. Thanks!

Glock 21 in a shoulder holster

ETA: Does you state still consider it open carry in/on a moving vehicle?
I could be wrong, but when I read Ohio's, I took it as no loaded gun in/on moving vehicle without ccw

Reactions: Coffee_and_Pipes
Have you considered a holster mounted to the bike? Swap gun from body to bike when riding and back to body. An iwb holster with a clip would clip to the bike, that way the gun is always holstered.

I ride a plated enduro bike, Husqvarna FE350 so space is limited. With the riding I do I don't want anything holstered to me. I carry a sig p365 with manual safety in a small tank bag. Stop for lunch or hotel, tank bag pops off in seconds and goes with me.

Ha! I thought about getting a saddle horn holster and customizing it for the tank.
28c00186a0ed78be505050d5548882d1.jpg

I carried in a shoulder rig when I rode my bike. I had a difficult time shooting with my thick riding gloves so I ended up settling on a hk P7M8. Was 100% safe until squeezed and trigger pulled. Plus the trigger guard was large enough to fit my riding glove without forcing my finger into the trigger.

yeah i'd hate to land on my gun on spine, hips or anywhere else! i always wear thick gloves and all the gear, so a gun on me really isn't a realistic choice when riding. maybe in a tank bag?

I’m hesitant to put a tank bag on the bike, but that’s really just vanity speaking. A tank bag sounds like an easy, practical solution - thanks!

Reactions: PDXGS
Depends on what you are carrying and wearing. My g43 moves between my jeans pocket and tank bag.

It will most likely be a Glock 19. I usually wear jeans, a summer Alpinestars jacket, and gloves. Sometimes I ride with a backpack, but that’s usually only if I’m going to work or the store.

If
It will most likely be a Glock 19. I usually wear jeans, a summer Alpinestars jacket, and gloves. Sometimes I ride with a backpack, but that’s usually only if I’m going to work or the store.
If you have a chest pocket on the jacket you could run a small piece with pocket holster in there. Depends on the gloves you wear. I have my pistol set up in a raven concealment vanguard holster tethered inside the tank bag, unzip the bag, grab pistol and pull, easy as that. I won't say how many times I sat on the bike in the garage and practiced that... it was many.

I use the mosko moto pico bag.

6D2ED16E-0F64-4E3F-A9A0-B81BD89202BA.jpeg

Reactions: ma smith
Glock 21 in a shoulder holster

ETA: Does you state still consider it open carry in/on a moving vehicle?
I could be wrong, but when I read Ohio's, I took it as no loaded gun in/on moving vehicle without ccw

That’s a great question. I don’t think they do, but my frame of reference is for cars. I’ll have to look into that. We have Constitutional carry, so I don’t think open carry should be an issue.

Reactions: remmynikon.308
Have you considered a holster mounted to the bike? Swap gun from body to bike when riding and back to body. An iwb holster with a clip would clip to the bike, that way the gun is always holstered.

That’s not a bad idea.

I’m wary of waistband carry because of possible retention issues, and if I get in a wreck, I don’t want anything near my spine or hips to augment what the ground is already going to do.
When you eventually wreck on your bike, the least of your injury concerns is your hip carry firearm or stiff Amex card in the wallet. IF you survive the head (helmet or not) or massive blunt chest trauma injuries you will be grateful your firearm was not the cause of near death. No one dies or is paralyzed from a motorcycle wreck due to an object attached to their person, unless you had your switchblade deployed prior to impact.

I ride a KTM enduro, pocket carry in a Adam’s shark bite holster. Works great.

When you do that, do you often have pinch spots where the holster digs in? I carry my phone in my pocket when riding, and sometimes that feels like it won’t settle into a comfortable spot in regular, straight-leg jeans. When I bought the bike, the previous owner had put a Ram mount on it, but I don’t trust it to hang onto my phone.

Kahr K9 or CM9 in a WhiteHat MaxTuck at 3:30. I ride a Triumph Rocket III Roadster. I’ve never seen the need to change where I carry just because I’m riding, and I’ve spent a lot of time debating the risk/benefit of riding as someone who’s lost a friend to a motorcycle accident. He made the entire trip to/from Sturgis for bike week, and T-boned a van who ran a red-light while going to his parents house for dinner the night he got back home…

I prefer to have it on me that way in a wreck the gun stays with me.
I have had a road rager come after me before and was luckily able to get away.
Had he gotten me down I would not have wanted to be separated from my gun.
My jacket has two chest pockets and I carry in my weak side chest pocket.
Glock 36 fits nicely in the pocket that is inside the pocket so it does not move much.

I’ve never felt good about my gun anywhere but on me when I ride.

I have a stripped down Harley Sportster 48, so I carry AIWB just like any other normal day. With a good holster I don’t have any issue, even with my taller bars and forward controls.

The caveat for longer rides is I will loosen my belt a tad so any stomach movement slides behind the gun instead of catching on it at all.

I used a IWB holster with magnets attached to the right side of the tank. Easier to get to if that big dog runs out in the street ahead of you. But I'm right handed.

I prefer to have it on me that way in a wreck the gun stays with me.
I have had a road rager come after me before and was luckily able to get away.
Had he gotten me down I would not have wanted to be separated from my gun.
My jacket has two chest pockets and I carry in my weak side chest pocket.
Glock 36 fits nicely in the pocket that is inside the pocket so it does not move much.
If I were riding street primarily I would holster on my person as well.

If

If you have a chest pocket on the jacket you could run a small piece with pocket holster in there. Depends on the gloves you wear. I have my pistol set up in a raven concealment vanguard holster tethered inside the tank bag, unzip the bag, grab pistol and pull, easy as that. I won't say how many times I sat on the bike in the garage and practiced that... it was many.

I use the mosko moto pico bag.

View attachment 7829261

In terms of volume, I think the chest pockets could handle something like a Glock 26, but I don’t think the seams would hold out very long.

Kahr K9 or CM9 in a WhiteHat MaxTuck at 3:30. I ride a Triumph Rocket III Roadster. I’ve never seen the need to change where I carry just because I’m riding, and I’ve spent a lot of time debating the risk/benefit of riding as someone who’s lost a friend to a motorcycle accident. He made the entire trip to/from Sturgis for bike week, and T-boned a van who ran a red-light while going to his parents house for dinner the night he got back home…

Man, I’m sorry that happened.

Reactions: Anb618
70k+Miles on dual sports and BMW GSs, R 100 and various other bikes.
Get a tank bag
Put your pistol in the tank bag, in a holster, anchored to a kydex board.
You don't want anything more rigid than a credit card on your body....I sometimes carry a phone or a SPOT transceiver on my person if I'm riding offroad or in really remote areas.. I know several folks who landed on their pistols and weren't better for it....only smarter.

When you do that, do you often have pinch spots where the holster digs in? I carry my phone in my pocket when riding, and sometimes that feels like it won’t settle into a comfortable spot in regular, straight-leg jeans. When I bought the bike, the previous owner had put a Ram mount on it, but I don’t trust it to hang onto my phone.

Never had that issue, but the Adams holsters are pretty thought out and high quality.

AIWB T1C Axis Slim w/ mag carrier. MR920 w/ TLR8 and RDS. Heritage Classic with 16” bars, floorboards, and highway pegs. No issues.

I’ve never seen the need to change where I carry just because I’m riding, and I’ve spent a lot of time debating the risk/benefit of riding as someone who’s lost a friend to a motorcycle accident.

It’s rarely the sexy stuff that gets you killed, the majority of people I saw in major advanced life support settings were there because of being fat and treating their body like a garbage dump, others were there from freak accidents, like slip and fall and crack the nogggin.

The biggest risk I see is living a boring life, easier to get good gear and maybe a few broken bones along the way, than live to some disgusting old age and have regrets on things you wish you would have done.

Agreed on the above. It's much more likely that you'll get taken out by youre own innattention. Even if it's someone pulling out in front of you at an intersection ....that actual act and ownership is on them but recognizing a possible threat before it becomes an actual threat is on you as the rider. Real-time threat assessment and response isn't something that's taught as much as it should be or at all in some states.
That all being said. Falling hard on shit that you stuff in your pockets or hands off your belt can have some serious injury consequences....get a tank bag.
Ride like you're being hunted.

I don't ride anymore, but I did quite a bit and I've hit the ground before.

AIWB would be my choice. It's easily accessible, it's always with you, and it's on a part of the body that seems least likely to injure you any worse than without.

Street rider on 1200GS. I wear riding pants and jacket. Carry is right pants pocket. I think it's less likely to hurt me in a fall than on bony waist positions.

Reactions: TurboTrout
I don't ride anymore, but I did quite a bit and I've hit the ground before.

AIWB would be my choice. It's easily accessible, it's always with you, and it's on a part of the body that seems least likely to injure you any worse than without.

Depends what he's riding. Back in my riding days, it was sport bikes, and I'm pretty sure AIWB would be a no-go due to the riding position. I agree that it would likely be one of the least likely spots to cause a problem during a big get-off, although one of those low-speed incidents where the rider slides forward into the tank and/or bars/triple-clamp might be uncomfortable o_O

On a bicycle or when hiking with a pack, I like the Hill People Gear kit bag. I don't think it's a perfect option because I have pancaked on my chest during crashes and putting a gun + spare mag between me and the ground doesn't sound like it would improve the situation, but it is preferable to having in on my hip or small of the back. It's also readily accessible with a single hand.

This is really one of those situations where one has to assess the risk vs reward of going armed. In a lot of cases, the likelihood of needing deadly force is low enough that it doesn't justify additional risks. With the number of bozos operating motor vehicles, I totally get why someone would want to be armed when operating any two-wheeled conveyance on public roads, and going off-road potentially exposes one to a completely different hazard if you stumble across bad people doing bad things in the woods.

Depends what he's riding. Back in my riding days, it was sport bikes, and I'm pretty sure AIWB would be a no-go due to the riding position. I agree that it would likely be one of the least likely spots to cause a problem during a big get-off, although one of those low-speed incidents where the rider slides forward into the tank and/or bars/triple-clamp might be uncomfortable o_O

On a bicycle or when hiking with a pack, I like the Hill People Gear kit bag. I don't think it's a perfect option because I have pancaked on my chest during crashes and putting a gun + spare mag between me and the ground doesn't sound like it would improve the situation, but it is preferable to having in on my hip or small of the back. It's also readily accessible with a single hand.

This is really one of those situations where one has to assess the risk vs reward of going armed. In a lot of cases, the likelihood of needing deadly force is low enough that it doesn't justify additional risks. With the number of bozos operating motor vehicles, I totally get why someone would want to be armed when operating any two-wheeled conveyance on public roads, and going off-road potentially exposes one to a completely different hazard if you stumble across bad people doing bad things in the woods.

For me driving is one of the places I want to be armed the most.

A few months ago I went through a 4 way stop, I started to go and the guy the front of me goosed it, I stop, let him go, wasn’t his turn but whatever.

As I’m leaving the 4 way I see the guy flip around and start to drive my way, hey, maybe hes lost 🤷‍♂️

Well I get to a red light, car in front, car to my right, and this dude comes right up behind me, stops, I see the door open and this 50 something dude with a physique like a hamster hops out, SCREAMING and approaching my car, I had my window cracked, doors locked, car in gear and had my gun on my lap, told him firmly but with no tone in my voice to walk away a few times, thankfully after screaming himself out and not getting a rise out of me, he stomps off to his car and fucks off.

Now that was in my car, I had a locked steel cage around me, all wheel drive and the ability to also use the vehicle as a weapon if god forbid it was needed, I was still damn thankful to be armed, on my <300lb dual sport, with me exposed you bet I’m carrying.

Compared to work, where I’m around people who by default end up more…vetted, where you would have a much harder time just jumping onto my worksite, plus we have security, or the gated community where I live, driving is probably one of, if not the, most potentially hostile situations I find my self in during the course of a normal day.

For me driving is one of the places I want to be armed the most.

A few months ago I went through a 4 way stop, I started to go and the guy the front of me goosed it, I stop, let him go, wasn’t his turn but whatever.

As I’m leaving the 4 way I see the guy flip around and start to drive my way, hey, maybe hes lost 🤷‍♂️

Well I get to a red light, car in front, car to my right, and this dude comes right up behind me, stops, I see the door open and this 50 something dude with a physique like a hamster hops out, SCREAMING and approaching my car, I had my window cracked, doors locked, car in gear and had my gun on my lap, told him firmly but with no tone in my voice to walk away a few times, thankfully after screaming himself out and not getting a rise out of me, he stomps off to his car and fucks off.

Now that was in my car, I had a locked steel cage around me, all wheel drive and the ability to also use the vehicle as a weapon if god forbid it was needed, I was still damn thankful to be armed, on my <300lb dual sport, with me exposed you bet I’m carrying.

Compared to work, where I’m around people who by default end up more…vetted, where you would have a much harder time just jumping onto my worksite, plus we have security, or the gated community where I live, driving is probably one of, if not the, most potentially hostile situations I find my self in during the course of a normal day.

Insane how heated some people can get just by driving.

Some people seem to get really detached from reality when they are on the road.

Insane how heated some people can get just by driving.

Some people seem to get really detached from reality when they are on the road.

They are themselves as invulnerable and others as less than human:

That study applies specifically to bicyclists, but I guaran-fuckin'-tee that replacing pedals with an engine does little to change the perception of cagers.

Credible threats of proportionate violence in return does tend to change minds.

Reactions: kthomas