• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

pistol die question??

judgedelta

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 22, 2010
Mississippi
I have a set of 40/10mm pistol dies, which I have used to load .40 S&W; I'm getting a 10mm Mod 20 Glock. I saw on one of the auction sites the other day a set of 10mm dies ($65.00). Is this something special or were these made before the 40 S & W?

I've got a Glock 20, they use the same dies. Maybe the seller on ebay doesn't know? Also $65 is way high, I saw a set in my LGS today for $40, and Natchez got some in for a similar price (RCBS dies).

I had a 10mm back in '91. Dies said 10mm and 40S&W at that time. 10mm was developed in 1983 and 40 Smith was developed in 1990. If you had a set of dies that were pre1990 I suppose they would say only 10mmAuto on the box. I see no reason why they wouldn't work exactly the same.

I emailed the question to RCBS, their reply was:

"Those are very old dies and are only good for 10mm Auto. They will not work for 40 S & W. "

Only reason I could see for that is that the seating die will not adjust far enough to properly seat a .40

They should seat just fine, but probably will not adjust down far enough to crimp. 38/357 and 44spl/44mag were different sets, years ago. Lightman