• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Pistol gripping problem-help

Icewater

Private
Minuteman
Apr 4, 2014
Hey guys, looking for some advice on gripping a semi-auto pistol. The method I use now(if I can explain this) is the method where you grip the pistol with your trigger hand then fill the gap with the palm of your other hand and both thumbs point forward just under the slide. I think most experts shoot this way.

This works great for me when shooting my walther p22 but when I shoot my 9mm Walther PPQ I have to re-adjust my off hand after every shot. I've seen guys re-adjust shooting larger calibers but not 9mm. I'm shooting 115 gr PMC. A friend shot it and said it is a "snappy" pistol. Anyone run into this and was able to correct it? Any advice?

Small light pistols are always going to be harder to keep your grip tight. You can work on strengthening your grip and use a very firm grip but it's still going to be a snappy recoil. Some guys go to to heavier bullets in the 9mm for more of a push than snap. I usually carry one of two guns. My primary is a Glock 17c which is much easier to shoot fast or a Kahr PM 9. Without getting more than two fingers on the Kahr recoil management is much harder. Fact of life. It's a trade off. Small easier to carry pocket pistol or full size belt gun. I always ask myself which gun I'd rather be carrying if the balloon goes up and the G17 wins.

This is the grip I like:

hgcombatg_100206d.jpg

For added stability, I will wrap my left index finger around the outside of the trigger guard. Works well for me.

Keep your left index finger under the trigger guard like you've got it. Grip harder with both the left and right hands, don't grip so hard with the right so as to impair your trigger finger's function, but you can really squeeze with the left. Grip tape or especially stippling will really help as well.

I have to adjust my grip after a few shots out of my Kahr P9 still.

Additionally, you may want to try using isometric tension... that is to say (looking at the pic that Dinosaur Jr posted), push forward with the right hand (against the back strap of the pistol) while simultaneously pulling backward with the left hand (essentially smooshing the fingers of the right hand between the fingers of the left hand and the front strap of the pistol). This will allow for a solid grip on the pistol, using muscles in your upper arms/shoulders rather than in your forearms... this, in turn, may allow for better trigger control due to the fact that you don't have a death grip on the gun with your fingers/forearms.

Last edited:
Additionally, you may want to try using isometric tension... that is to say (looking at the pic that Dinosaur Jr posted), push forward with the right hand (against the back strap of the pistol) while simultaneously pulling backward with the left hand (essentially smooshing the fingers of the right hand between the fingers of the left hand and the front strap of the pistol). This will allow for a solid grip on the pistol, using muscles in your upper arms/shoulders rather than in your forearms... this, in turn, may allow for better trigger control due to the fact that you don't have a death grip on the gun with your fingers/forearms.

+1. The isometric tension adds a ton of aiming stability.

From the photo, if you really want to control the recoil and keep rapid follow up shots then with your middle finger that grips the pistol, drive it hard up into the trigger guard. You'll know you're applying enough pressure when a calice starts to appear. Then your opposite hand goes as the photo shows and use your palms back by your wrists as a clamp and squeeze together. If your pistol gripping hand isn't already as high as it can go in the backstrap, then jam it up in there. You should be able to drive that 9mm with minimal rise and especially without breaking grip.