• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Warowl

Minuteman
Feb 12, 2017
Hey guys, looking for stone info on pistol lights and what is necessary options wise and what are luxuries? It would be my first light, I would like to be around 120 max whether I buy new or used. All help is appreciated

Streamlight TLR-1 is the best bang for your buck and a reputable light that has a long history. They go for around $110-120. Uses two CR123. It's a very popular model so holsters for your pistol+TLR-1 are easy to come by.

TLR-1 - regular model 300 lumens $110-120
TLR-1s - with strobe feature
TLR-1 HL - 1000 lumens

I run a tlr1 hl on most fo my pistols, other than an apl-c I got on sale.

I wouldnt spend a dime on another aplc but I'm planning on buying a few more tlr 1 hls

I'm planning on buying a tlr7-a to try out soon.

I only have the Surefire stuff and it's not cheap but it works. Not sure how much a used x200 is though. I know they got a lot brighter in the last few years though, the new ones have.

I’ve been rocking the Streamlight TLR-1S lights for years on both duty & personally owned pistols. Thus far, I’ve had nothing but 100% success from each & I’ve got 6+ years on all of them (minimum) & no issues.

I prefer the 1S models as too much light will wash out on light walls when clearing structures. Also, the strobe is a bitch when you’re looking at it in a darkened room. The 300 lumen light doesn’t work as well outside as 1K, but I have a rifle w/ a different light for those situations.

*ETA: I’ve got one TLR-1S that is so banged up it’s not even round anymore. It’s clearly oblong & it still works great. Streamlight has a solid warranty but I keep on running this light because it just works.

Last edited:
Been running the TLR-2G for duty and personal carry for multiple years with no issues or problems. At your budget numbers the StreamLight TLR-1 should work out just about right. Weapon light runs on CR123A 3V Lithium Batteries. Don’t use it for a flashlight! Train and stay safe.

Great info, the first time you hit a mirror or white wall with a 1000 lumen light and get night blinded you’ll be standing there thinking wtf do I do now. 250 lumen light is plenty on a pistol light. Enforce is a decent light for the money but not as many holster options as with the stream light.

Great info, the first time you hit a mirror or white wall with a 1000 lumen light and get night blinded you’ll be standing there thinking wtf do I do now. 250 lumen light is plenty on a pistol light. Enforce is a decent light for the money but not as many holster options as with the stream light.

This is why I use the non HL version of the TLR1.

Reactions: lead.rain
I bought the tlr1-hl for use on my 10mm whle hunting Kodiak Island, while its great outside its a bit too bright inside.

I've been happy with the tlr7 on my nightstand gun. Good size for a compact, plenty bright, good light pattern, and has a strobe if you want it. Pretty sure I got it on sale for right around $100. The switch is right at the end of my reach. I wear medium gloves usually.

Reactions: gnochi
Although it's rated at 600 lumens for 1 minute and then drops to 60 lumens, you should checkout some of the online reviews of the Olight PL-Mini 2 Valkyrie.

The main reason that I use this light is that it will fit on all my pistols, from subcompact to full size. This light is made up of 2 sections. The top section that attaches to the rail and the body that slides and locks onto the top section. This allows the much greater fitting range...

Olight Store - PL Mini 2 Valkyrie Currently $89.95. Note that Olight runs sales quite often. Just signup for their newsletter.

Never heard of this but possibly worth a look.

Been using a tlr-1-hl 800 lumens for a few months now. Shot one indoor match with it, works pretty well. It is mounted on a M&P 2.0 compact. Just got a surefire x300u for my M&P pro 5 inch it's 1000 lumens. The streamlight seems like it has a whiter beam but the surefire has a tighter beam it seems. Surefire does seem a little more durable in the build department but was also twice as much. I do like the interface more on the streamlight but that also may be because I have had more time on it. No problem using either indoors. But for the money I think the Streamight is an awesome deal

Just put a Surefire X300 Ultra A (1000 lumen) on my Stacatto-P and I'm pretty sure it is bright enough to induce brain damage in anyone you shined it at! I like it a lot but I did have to modify it to fit. I blame the pistol not the light as I think the STI pic rail is on the large side so a few stokes with an emery nail file on the mating surfaces (plastic) and I was good to go!

Reactions: clcustom1911
I like my x300 ultra, bright, long battery life...my xc1 is nice an compact and good for ccw but the battery life sucks, my battery is dead in it every month with almost no use. Not sure if it’s just mine but that part about it is no good. Ymmv

Reactions: nikonNUT
I've been using a TLR1-HL for about 4 years now. It's been mounted on a 12G shotgun, AR's and several handguns. Not a single issue out of it and it just works.

Streamlight makes a functional light, but I strongly prefer the Surefire. You can get the older 500-600 lumen version off Ebay for your price range. Any lumens less than that is inadequate if there's other ambient illumination (streetlights, squad car lights, etc).

I run the TLR1, like others have said, the thing just works no problems with it.

F386042F-8CDF-421E-87E6-963637A6B07F.jpeg

I would buy 1 of 2 pistol lights.
Streamlight Tlr1-HL
Surefire X300U

These are two very proven lights with a good track record. No reason to reinvent the wheel. The surefire can be had decently cheap/ only slightly over your budget

I’ve got a couple Streamlight TLR-1S (300 lumens) pistol lights are that are 6-7 years old & they run great. One of them is not even round anymore; it’s sort of oblong & still runs like a champ. This light has probably 20K rounds on it & it gets used daily in a hard use environment. The light looks like it’s been used as a hammer, but it still works like new.

I’ve also recently picked up a TLR-7 (500 lumen) pistol light. It’s a little more compact & at this point I prefer the TLR-1 activation switch over the newer model. I have no idea as to its durability because it’s still brand new.

I use Surefire lights as well & I've always gotten my moneys worth w/ these products. Buy a device that fits your requirements & you’ll be fine.

As others have mentioned, I don’t like a pistol light w/ more than say 5-600 lumens. At that point the white light starts to wash out on white / light colored walls. Lots of lumens are great for outdoors but not so much indoors.

Last edited:
Another Streamlight TLR 1HL user. Have a couple. I had Surefire in the past but prefer the beam of Streamlight. 1000 lumens is not too bright if you use it correctly.

“...not too bright if used correctly.” I find this laughable w/ just short of 20 years LE/MIL experience. I’ve done alright over the years w/ plenty of apps & I'm LOL’ing right now.

We have a difference of opinion to say the least. For the record, a 1K light would still be better than nothing, but some tools are better suited for differed tasks.

Last edited:
My 60 and 120 lumen Surefire leave dark voids compared to my 650 and 1000 lumen Streamlight. My opinion, and yes opinions vary, is reflector is more important than the output and I dont find the 1000 too bright with the wide beam. That is what I was saying my opinion is. And yes, my pistol has 650.

Not sure why you called me out and then comment difference of opinion but your resume is way more impressive than mine.

Have a great day and good luck.

Reactions: WATERWALKER
I'm LE and carry a 1000 lumen streamlight. Theres many cases where it is too bright so I carry a surefire that's not as bright as well. Inside it be blinding. Theres splash back. Trying to illuminate a scenario or person that isn't necessarily a threat, its overkill. Outside searching it is wonderful.

TLR-7 and TRL-1 are both nice. No problems with either of mine.

I'm LE and carry a 1000 lumen streamlight. Theres many cases where it is too bright so I carry a surefire that's not as bright as well. Inside it be blinding. Theres splash back. Trying to illuminate a scenario or person that isn't necessarily a threat, its overkill. Outside searching it is wonderful.

This sums it up quite nicely.

I will give my $0.02 on this subject. I have a Streamlight TLR-1HL on my home pistol. and my department duty glock 21 has the same on it. lots of agencies around us use the streamlight, not so much the surefire. hope this helps

With a $120 budget I’d say Streamlight TLR1 HL all day. I wouldn’t bother with the strobe feature though. Good thing is the Streamlights will allow you to program that feature out.

The reason most cops don’t have Surefires is because cops are cheap! Many at my agency rocking Surefires still have old school X200’s and 300 (non-ultras). The new TLR1 HL’s are better than the old school Surefires in my opinion.

No one has added night pics, so I will. These are all with a tlr7 and not a super new batt.
20200222_045733.jpg

On the farm, no real ambient light.
20200222_045743.jpg
bull shelter at 100yds
20200222_045752.jpg
propane tank at 25yds, 35yds to grain bin behind it
20200222_045840.jpg
silver grain bin at 10'
20200214_154747.jpg

Tlr7 does a nice job with spill and throw, tucks in nicely on g19 size pistol.

My tlr7 is an early one, no issues with it or my tlr1hl. I do prefer the on/off switch on the new tlr7, mine is almost at max reach for my trigger finger.

My tlr7 is an early one, no issues with it or my tlr1hl. I do prefer the on/off switch on the new tlr7, mine is almost at max reach for my trigger finger.

Max reach for your trigger finger? Uhmm, you’re not using your support side thumb to activate the light?

Bear in mind that I’m not attempting to pick at you, but this is a legitimate question.

I like the TLR-1HL for concealed carry. Great paddle switch with momentary or on/off. Good output and beam.

The X300U is the top of the line choice for fighting guns but it is a very long light that doesn't conceal well.

So I ended up ditching the Surefire X300U-A for a -B. The A is fine as light but doesn't fit a few or my handguns, rattles on others and damn near falls off my railed Kimber. The -B is much more user friendly! And it rides flush with a Gov't model!
Tacticool.jpg

Olights stuff is actually pretty solid, and rechargeable. I've got a mini and a couple bigger ones. Get on their mailing list and you can bank some serious discounts and free keychain lights. I've got one on a rem 870 pump, one on an AR pistol, one on a pistol. They've all held up great.

So I ended up ditching the Surefire X300U-A for a -B. The A is fine as light but doesn't fit a few or my handguns, rattles on others and damn near falls off my railed Kimber. The -B is much more user friendly! And it rides flush with a Gov't model!
View attachment 7271692

I have an older x200 and it has two ways of mounting, one is the usual easy on, easy off mount, the other is the "semi permanent" mount where you push the locking bar in place and then tighten a screw. If you do it right, you can still take it off without messing with the screw and it fits very tight. If you tighten it down though, it's solid and it doesn't move. I don't know if this is the difference between A and B but that's how mine is.

By far the best light for a pistol, I want a few X400V's, one for pistols, a couple for SBR's. Cheaper and more useful than a PEQ in some cases.

And when these lights came out years ago, they had a display in the store with an x200 mounted on a blue plastic Glock chained to the display, and there was a 2x4 affixed to it with several large nails (16 penny?) and an invitation to hammer nails into it with the light on. The finish got all marred up but it hammered nails and kept working like the advertisement said. I was already sold on Surefire way back when but that really solidified it.

Figure on these things being basically lifetime buys, so get the strongest one you can I guess and if they offer a rechargeable option for pistol lights, definitely get that if you can... They still use regular batteries but the rechargeable option is very nice, wish ex didn't take that one...