• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Pistol options under $2500

300zx_tt

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 18, 2021
South East Pennsylvania
Ok fellas, I’ve lost the itch to shoot pistol, it just doesn’t do it for me anymore. To fix that I’m buying something new to get me back into it.

Been looking at :
Staccato P
CZ TS2 Orange
Platypus

Other than that I’m not sure where to look. Trying to keep it under $2500

Any opinions or options I should look at?

Going to just be a fun gun so I don’t have to fit into a certain class

I’m a huge fan of the 92, particularly the LTT Elite RDO options. Get one with all the bells and whistles and you’ll wind up with a phenomenally smooth and light recoiling pistol that has a fantastic trigger. They’re tons of fun to shoot!

Reactions: GBMaryland
Springfield prodigy 4.25
DSC comp barrel,EGW ignition kit,Red dirt trigger, Mag well,TriArc ext slide release,Atlas shielded thumb safety and toolless guide rod,8# spring,buffer pad. Pinned the grip and Marvel cut on the disco it’s my favorite gun to shoot its air rack able. My buddy has a Staccato and shot my Prodigy and was blown away and I’m into it minus the optic just over 2200$ about 3000rds through it runs like a sewing machine I like the action impulse of 4.25 over the 5” that CZ TS2 orange is one bad mofo I’ve been looking for one .You really can’t go wrong with anything you’ve listed above I’ve have a Sig 320 Spectre comp I really like my buddy has the AXG 320 with the ported slide the gun shoots great too hope you get something you like

Attachments

• IMG_3489.jpeg
    IMG_3489.jpeg
    865.8 KB · Views: 42
Reactions: Bluedog82

That certainly opens you up if you're not having to fit in any division.

I'm a big fan of the Tanfoglio Stock II. MSRP is ~2500 but you can find them more for like 2000 or below.

If you want to get really silly with it, Dan Wesson Kodiac, just a monster 10mm 1911.

Springfield prodigy 4.25

Check it out, it's a Prodigy owner that is satisfied with their purchase. That's like a Savage owner that says "this bolt is awesome". I'm not saying these people don't exist, but they are certainly rare.

Reactions: tanders11
IMO if you’re looking to get the urge to shoot pistols again, start competing in gun games (USPSA, PCSL, hit factor matches, even IDPA) will do that more than getting a new gun.

Unless of course you just have new gun-itis, in which case knock yourself out.

Reactions: 308pirate
If I was in the market for a new pistol in that range it would be the dwx. I currently shoot a STI DVC 3 gun but prefer the cz grip and mags

Reactions: 300zx_tt
I own all 3 of those. Personally, my new favorite is the DWX. Think of it as a 2011 that doesn't need 100 dollar mags. I have 3 of them and I run them in USPSA. They have been rock solid for me. More so than my 2011's.
I’ll have to look around, see if I can find one and get hands on it

Reactions: owtlaw
IMO if you’re looking to get the urge to shoot pistols again, start competing in gun games (USPSA, PCSL, hit factor matches, even IDPA) will do that more than getting a new gun
This

I can't stay engaged unless I have a task to focus on.

Going to the range to aimlessly burn ammo is to me a giant waste of time and money.

Reactions: Bcamos
This

I can't stay engaged unless I have a task to focus on.

Going to the range to aimlessly burn ammo is to me a giant waste of time and money.
Dont currently have time to compete, 11 month old and working 60ish hours a week will do that.

I do however have an hour to swing by the range and burn some ammo.

Whether or not it’s a waste of time and money is debatable, but that’s all I have time for currently.

I’d rather buy a new gun to keep me interested over the next few years than to just stop shooting all together.

Reactions: AndrewR and RPN
I would try a Platypus. So far from what I have read people have been happy with it.

The other options would be the CZ but I would lean more to a CZ Custom TSO in 9mm or a Shadow 2 Accu or go the Cajun Gunworks route.

I don't think you'd go wrong with either of the choices you listed. Good luck and have fun shooting.

Several things.
1- The external extractor fell out
2- Was super finicky on ammo
3- The recoil plug broke into 3 pieces and got stuck inside the gun jamming it.
4- It was very nose heavy.

TBF, nose heavy is good, and desirable. I (and many other competitors) have lead weights on the front of their pistols. S&W have competition models of their 686 that have customizable weights under the barrel.

If you are looking for something that will make you happy to shoot, here are my suggestions
All are under your budget range, some by a huge margin

Sig P226 X-Five (new USA production)
CZ Shadow 2 Optics Ready with Cajun Gun Works upgrades
Walther PDP Steel frame Match

If you are on a budget:
Walther PDP Full Size Match 5"
Walther PDP Pro SD Full Size 5.1
H&K VP9 Match Optics Ready

For even more fun and new games, try topping any of the above with your choice of red dot sight.

I have a few STI/ Staccatos, and a Platypus on the way (I waited for the bull barrel and more aggressive grip options)

If the goal is to ignite passion, the Platypus seems like a good choice. The standard buying process affords plenty of options and the number of color options means you can pick a design that will make you smile everytime you reach for it. I think you could build one well short of your limit. Cheap magazines are an obvious bonus.

I love my Staccato Ps, but I agree that an XC would be a great choice *if* you could find one within budget. In the more likely event that you can't, a P with a RDS is a very nice, albeit heavy, experience.

I recently held the new CS and--espcially if you don't have already have a stock of STI/ Staccato mags--the new C might be a cool choice. All of my STI/ Staccatos have aftermarket grips (stipple and reduction from Shooters Extreme) and I didn't feel that would be necessary when I held the CS. But I don't know when they will be available.

Reactions: FieldGaugeFailure
You want fun then get something comped while you're doing this, whatever you choose.

If you don't have a size limit, go with a big comp as well, like 3 top ports with a side port on each side, really keep things flat.

Both my P320s have twin port comps, I don't consider going back, not even to the single port, and I conceal carry these. Springer Precision has a 3 top port with twin side port comp for them, may buy one just to mess around with, though it'll add a good chunk of length that'll kill carry-ability.

Anyway, they're quick, flat, they make things easier, mine are absolutely reliable with the DPM recoil systems, I actually run the heaviest springs in them.

So, whether you go 2011, CZ, or striker, think about running a big compensator to bring the fun and enjoyment up.

You want fun then get something comped while you're doing this, whatever you choose.

If you don't have a size limit, go with a big comp as well, like 3 top ports with a side port on each side, really keep things flat.

Both my P320s have twin port comps, I don't consider going back, not even to the single port, and I conceal carry these. Springer Precision has a 3 top port with twin side port comp for them, may buy one just to mess around with, though it'll add a good chunk of length that'll kill carry-ability.

Anyway, they're quick, flat, they make things easier, mine are absolutely reliable with the DPM recoil systems, I actually run the heaviest springs in them.

So, whether you go 2011, CZ, or striker, think about running a big compensator to bring the fun and enjoyment up.
If he goes comped he has to shoot open class. I wouldn't recommend that.

I wouldn't go Sig, not a fan of being a beta tester for their products which I'm not really impressed with (just my .02).

For CZ I would look at either CZ Custom out of AZ or Cajun Gunworks Monroe LA. For CZ pistols Shadow 2, TSO, SP01, TS2 and the DW/CZ collaboration DWX.

If you want to try something different there is the Langdon Tactical Beretta pistols.

The Platypus sounds good like I mentioned above (the only hangup I have is the aluminum frame). I would actually do some reading on the Enos Forums, there is some good information there.

What about a pistol suppressor and a suppressor host? I’ve only dipped my toe into the stamp collecting world, but the rifle suppressor I bought has made shooting more enjoyable.

Reactions: stefan73
Ok fellas, I’ve lost the itch to shoot pistol, it just doesn’t do it for me anymore. To fix that I’m buying something new to get me back into it.

Been looking at :
Staccato P
CZ TS2 Orange
Platypus

Other than that I’m not sure where to look. Trying to keep it under $2500

Any opinions or options I should look at?

Have you considered a revolver .......4/6 inch python or it you want hand cannon in 357 a SW 340 PD .....14 oz loaded 1.88 barrel snubski for bad breath use front sight like a red dot ...put it on center mass and detonate twice, range

Langdon Tactical has the new Beretta 92Xi Squalo with their RDO option which is a single action trigger and a frame mounted safety. Looks really interesting. I have the LTT Elite which is a dual action and a de-cocker and with a suppressor, is really fun to shoot and supremely accurate even at distance, mostly because you're adding weight to the front end making it more controllable. And with the Berettas, if the suppressor is under a certain weight, no booster is needed.

I've rented a CZ Shadow2 a few times and while it shoots very well, the trigger was far, far too light for me personally. Felt like I was holding a grenade that could go off just by looking at it wrong. Super flat shooting due to the fact it's nose heavy but I'd take the LTT elite over it as it's not just a range toy.

Langdon Tactical has the new Beretta 92Xi Squalo with their RDO option which is a single action trigger and a frame mounted safety. Looks really interesting. I have the LTT Elite which is a dual action and a de-cocker and with a suppressor, is really fun to shoot and supremely accurate even at distance, mostly because you're adding weight to the front end making it more controllable. And with the Berettas, if the suppressor is under a certain weight, no booster is needed.

I've rented a CZ Shadow2 a few times and while it shoots very well, the trigger was far, far too light for me personally. Felt like I was holding a grenade that could go off just by looking at it wrong. Super flat shooting due to the fact it's nose heavy but I'd take the LTT elite over it as it's not just a range toy.
I have a Langdon Tactical P30L on order. Their Beretta work is incredible from what I have been told!

That's pretty funny, I have one of those and I would say the trigger is going to go off without some intentional pulling.
Now maybe if you were looking at the TS2 model with a modified trigger... But then that's a single action range pistol.

For a fun gun (and to see if I can get mrs lefty to like 9mm) I'm going Walther pdp pro SD compact (4.6" barrel). Also getting a fly 9 and a holosun eps green 6moa. That takes it right above $2500.

Last edited:
Reactions: W54/XM-388
For a fun gun (and to see if I can get mrs lefty to like 9mm) I'm going Walther pdp pro SD compact. Also getting a fly 9 and a holosun eps green 6moa. That takes it right above $2500.

For the MRS, try getting her the walther PDP-F 4" (unless she has big hands), You might find she really likes that one.
Smaller grip, shorter trigger pull/reset and less powerful recoil spring.

That's pretty funny, I have one of those and I would say the trigger is going to go off without some intentional pulling.
Now maybe if you were looking at the TS2 model with a modified trigger... But then that's a single action range pistol.
I shot a TSO that had a LIGHT, very LIGHT trigger! It was incredible.
My Shadow 2 ACCU from CZ Custom is not as light as that TSO trigger.

For the MRS, try getting her the walther PDP-F 4" (unless she has big hands), You might find she really likes that one.
Smaller grip, shorter trigger pull/reset and less powerful recoil spring.
Already have an m&p9c gen 1 with apex forward set sear and trigger and an sti gp6 (grand power k100). She doesn't like the sound and recoil. Hence getting the fly 9. I have heard her sorta whisper Pew Pew Pew after shooting my Sig 322 with tbac 22td. Have tried to get her to try out suppressed 9mm before but the problem is all of the rental ranges are indoors. She does better outside after sitting at the range for 10 minutes or so. She doesn't crank her music at all which doesn't make sense to me.

For a while there she thought she wasn't strong enough to rack but she is on basically anything. It's sometimes hard to get her to even go with me to the range.

Last edited:
Reactions: W54/XM-388
Already have an m&p9c gen 1 with apex forward set sear and trigger and an sti gp6 (grand power k100). She doesn't like the sound and recoil. Hence getting the fly 9. I have heard her sorta whisper Pew Pew Pew after shooting my Sig 322 with tbac 22td. Have tried to get her to try out suppressed 9mm before but the problem is all of the rental ranges are indoors. She does better outside after sitting at the range for 10 minutes or so. She doesn't crank her music at all which doesn't make sense to me.

For a while there she thought she wasn't strong enough to rack but she is on basically anything. It's sometimes hard to get her to even go with me to the range.

In that case, the one you were thinking of is probably going to be nice for her.

I agree suppressed would probably take care of any objection to the noise.

Quite a few folks that tried out my Sig P322 really loved shooting it.

I own all 3 of those. Personally, my new favorite is the DWX. Think of it as a 2011 that doesn't need 100 dollar mags. I have 3 of them and I run them in USPSA. They have been rock solid for me. More so than my 2011's.
Got a friend who just got the DWX. Great shooting pistol. Does it fall in production category for USPSA???