• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Pistol primers

Dirtrider389

Pro smartass
Minuteman
Jun 14, 2019
Southwest Missouri
So I'm sitting at my loading bench pondering on primer shortage looking at what stock I have. Not a lot of small rifle but 1 unopened 1000 small pistol magnums. And I got to wondering if a guy could substitute these in a 223 in a pinch? Anyone have any experience trying this? This is theoretical cause I still have a few rifle primers at this point but if shtf happens I'd like to know

From what I understand, possible, yes. Good idea.....not really, unless it’s in low pressure loads in something like a 300blk.

Small pistol are exactly the same physical dimensions as small rifle, so they will fit.

Pressure is the issue. Some small rifle cartridges have historically used either, depending on powder and load. 22 Hornet and 22 Fireball are two cartridges that have historically used both.

Small pistol primers were not designed to be be used in this application ,they do not have a hot enough or a long enough burning flame to use in slower burning rifle powders.

I would not use them but Im sure you could trade them away for some SRP. Everyone is hurting in their own way these days.

I don't want to get rid of any of them, I load as much small pistol as I do small rifle. I was just curious if it had been done.... I heard a guy talking on jon pynches podcast about testing primers and he tried it in 6 dasher without incident

I have used small rifle in a 38 Supercomp open pistol, but not the other way around. Like others have said maybe low pressure rounds.

i have a feeling a lot more people will be experimenting in the great primer shortage. they will say i read it on the internet some guy was able to use them. yes certain powders and certain applications but mainly not designed for it

I did it once with a 204 R.
Apparently a box of Winchester small pistol got put into a SR box during a move.
I didn't notice it and loaded a box of 50 for the next day.
When I started putting things away that's when I saw that they were SPP.

It was too late in the evening to pull them apart and start over, so I figured I'd send one down range and give the thing a good inspection.

Screenshot_20210118-191854_Chrome.jpg

I remember reading an article on Accurate Shooter about primers and felt it would be safe to try it. I did measure the cup thickness, but can't remember if there was any difference in them.

Anyway, they shot fine without any loss of accuracy. I didn't run them over a chronograph since I had no reason to duplicate the loads.