• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

pistol reloading questions

powdahound76

Old tired dad
Minuteman
Sep 7, 2011
Denver CO
So I built a 460 Rowland with a Lone Wolf barrel and comp on a G21.
This one is shooting low and left. It did the same before I swapped sights, just put on new Glock branded night sights so its like my other pistols. The sights were bore sighted with a laser and the other pistols that were done at the same time shoot dead on.
My handholds aren't max (12.2 of power pistol behind a 200 gr XTP).
I don't know a ton about pistol loading (all my pistol loads have been 38, 9mm, and 45 which all shot well with first couple loads tested and haven't had to tune a load.

Any tips on chasing this down?

thanks in advance.

It's the way the barrel is fitted when locked up in the frame. Use adjustable sights or file off some front sight to raise point of impact and drift the rear to the right. It is very unlikely to have anything to do with your reloads.

Bobke is correct. Sorry, I was assuming it was the load you'd settled on. This is one reason I like adjustable sights or optics on my handguns because I hunt and plink/target shoot with the same guns and use several different loads. The glock sights rear can be windage adjusted and different height fronts can be found to roughly adjust elevation. Get it shooting slightly low then file or even better get some of the aftermarket adjustable rears for it.

Thanks.
To clarify, I was going to try some less extreme measures before going to town on the sights with a file!
i will try the 185 and 230 XTP as well as some other brands. Those are what I was hoping to load for black bear here in CO.
I also have some Underwood 460 ammo with 200 gr Lehigh extreme penetrators I will try a few of. If they shoot to POA I can depend on those and still work on a better shooting load for plinking. I could just work on a 45 ACP load and swap the recoil spring to take it easy on my hand.....

thanks again.

Another option you might consider, is an LFN/WFN hard cast bullet, with a very solid taper crimp. And Power Pistol might be appropriate, as well. Cast bullets shoot faster, at lower pressure, all else being equal, than a jacketed bullet, and with a good, flat meplat, punch above their weight class, which you'd want for bear. Two holes bleed better than one i.e. blood trail.
MontanaBulletWorks.com. make excellent cast bullets. Around 18BHN might be right for potential velocity. 406.655.8163. Have used them up through 475 Linebaugh with excellent results.

Bobke
It was my intention to use MBW, I just ran short on time to get some ordered and set up. I do know they are the best, its all my friend runs in his 45-70 and 475 Linebaugh up in AK.
I believe when I emailed with them, they recommended a gas check with a BHN of 22?
I shoot 200 LSWC in my 45 with great success and like how they shoot.
The Lehigh penetrators are solid copper and reported to penetrate 30" through thick hide and bone.
I crimp my 9mm and haven't with a 45 or 460. Do you crimp the hard cast to keep them from moving or to assist with accuracy (like the Lee factory crimp for a rifle? - I don't use one, just know of the idea). I do barely bell the cases to accept the bullet so they are in there pretty dang snug.
From what I read, PP is a great fast burner, clean, and gave some of the best results. I bought a few lbs when I found it over a year ago, so would love if it would work. Could also use it for .357 loads for the old Security Six I am getting next year........

thanks for your ideas, all stuff I can screw with this winter.....

I always taper crimp my 45ACP, but also segregate my brass by headstamp and OAL, so crimp and headspace is uniform. OCD? Yup.
A trick you might try, which I've used with magnum calibers to get more 'pull' or the case's grip on bullet, is to polish the expander ball down a half thou or so-measure often-in small steps, which combined with the appropriate crimp keeps bullet in case with heavy recoiling loads. It's a bit of alchemy, but works well to assure complete reliability, and still maintain correct headspace with a rimless case.
Power Pistol might be just the ticket for Rowland, as it really only comes into it's own in 45ACP with heavier bullets and heavier loads. Burns clean. It's my 'go to' in 45 Colt with 250/270gr midrange loads. Use std primer.

Last edited: