• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing pistol sight pushing

black_ump

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 16, 2007
erie,pa 16334
any one know of a better way then putting an aluminum rod in a mill head and using that rode to "drift" out front and rear sights ? i could also use derlin to do this as well but though some one would know of a better way to put them in and center them up

Re: pistol sight pushing

i know their is a sight pushing tool for my pistol but its 180 bucks... kinda high

Well, which is cheaper, the tool or the damage that can be done to the slide and the sights by doing it the wrong way? I had a local "smith", if that's what you want to call him, damage a slide on a handgun trying to install night sights with a brass punch. While that method can be used quite successfully, he managed to break the punch and put a permanent ding in the slide.

I've always used a punch, but if you have the other tools, I'd use them before I'd spring for the sight tool.

When using the punch, I clamp the slide firmly. Never had any problems.

Are you changing the sights or just moving them alittle to adjust POI

If you cannot use the dedicated tools, I have found a wooden dowel rod will work without marring the sights or slide. Start the replacements straight in the dovetail and go slow. It will work fine.

We've always used dowels. Woooden or Derlin, and soft aluminum. If we do use brass its only on slides chucked in vice jaws and we have leather we use to wrap the work and protect the metal and finish. Patience and attention is your friend.

Do you get any trigger time? You always seem to be working on, modifying, or troubleshooting all your HK stuff.

If you are going to do a few sight replacements, then get the tool.

If it's only a one off, then either have a 'smith do it or chance using a brass rod 3/16" in diameter.

I've found that aluminium leaves marks that are more difficult to remove that brass.

Installed a set of Trijicons on my USP Compact using a Delrin rod and a brass hammer. No issues