• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Pitbull attacked lazy

lazy21

Gunny Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 16, 2007
Houston, Tx.
I was walking lazy when a pit bull came out of nowhere and he screwed lazy up! I managed to split them up and continued walking and on my way in, there he was again. He charged at us and when he was within feet of me, I yanked lazy and popped him twice with my sig 229 .40. dropped him where he stood, no tag's and no one knows who's dog it is(wish I knew so I could send a vet bill). I called the the local p.d. and they made a report and said I was gtg. I'm just glad it was me and not my wife walking lazy...........

DSC_4881.jpg

DSC_4879.jpg

DSC_4884.jpg

Re: Pitbull attacked lazy

Dogs are resilient. No worries. My wife got bit by our JRT on the arm today and looks worse than that. Lazy will be just fine.

Glad to hear you did not get injured and your dog has only minor injuries. I'm even more glad you are in a state where you can defend yourself from a predator. Quadrupedal and Bipedal alike.

Texas is sounding better and better each day.

this really sucks, is this anything to worry about? His paw is starting to swell

DSC_4886.jpg

Yes, it is actually. Nothing to worry about as far as serious long term injury but you MUST get your dog to the vet so they can get him on some antibiotics. Contrary to popular belief dog's mouths are VERY dirty and infection is almost a certainty if you have several wounds caused by another dog... especially one that is wandering the streets. Swelling is a sign of infection starting to set in so I would get the pooch on some antibiotics and once you do that everything should clear up and your dog will be good as new within a week or so. Too bad the other dog had to be shot but glad you are both alright. Those situations can get REAL bad and I hate irresponsible owners who allow dogs to be put in these situations to begin with. Dogs are pretty simple and if owners don't take responsibility for them they will do what it is that dogs do and that's not always licking someone's face unfortunately.

Not to worry you but I would also have the other dog checked for rabies which I assume they will do anyway but if not... make SURE they do.

If it were me I would go to the feed store, get betadine to rub on the wounds and maybe some red kote, fruazone spray or some granulex to spray onto the wounds after washing twice a day with the betadine. if your worried about the swelling, get some numotizine, vet wrap and elastican, put the numotizine on the swelling, provided its not open wounds, wrap it with some cotton wrap, then vet wrap, not tight just slightly snug. Be careful on how you wrap, don't bandage any joints, they need to flex, after the vet wrap, one wrap with the elastikan to hold it together change once a day for a couple days.

I am not a vet and take no responsibility, my knowledge is based on taking care of horses, but I did stay at a holiday inn once.

x2 on the Betadyne. I ran hounds for a lot of years and used it a LOT. I never covered small wounds though because I felt that it increased the chance for infection because bites often "weep". I could very well be wrong but we often put drain tubes in stitched wounds to keep them open a little so I stuck with that line of thinking. For antibiotics I would get "fish" amoxicillin in pill form(feed stores and dog hunting web stores sell it) and give it to my dogs. I am not recommending doing this because I am not a vet either. I'm just passing along info shared with me that worked well. I didn't have much luck with penicillin for bites but had great luck with amoxicillin.

Just wanted to add that, from you pictures, I wouldn't worry. From the pics I'd say your dog will be just fine with proper cleaning and care.

Good that you popped the mother fucker, glad to hear your dogs alright, id still get Lazy checked by the vet though, just to be on the safe side.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rum</div><div class="ubbcode-body">x2 on the Betadyne. I ran hounds for a lot of years and used it a LOT. I never covered small wounds though because I felt that it increased the chance for infection because bites often "weep". I could very well be wrong but we often put drain tubes in stitched wounds to keep them open a little so I stuck with that line of thinking. For antibiotics I would get "fish" amoxicillin in pill form(feed stores and dog hunting web stores sell it) and give it to my dogs. I am not recommending doing this because I am not a vet either. I'm just passing along info shared with me that worked well. I didn't have much luck with penicillin for bites but had great luck with amoxicillin. </div></div>

Good Intel on the amoxicillian. I agree wrapping wounds is no good, they need to breath, granulex or other products help keep proud flesh aka scar tissue at bay

That pitbull belonged to the guy who runs "Whitey's".
Now you're in it!

Jeez... glad to see your pup is ok! There is some great advice up in this thread also! Glad you were able to defend yourself also.

The Hide members always come through!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ubet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If it were me I would go to the feed store, get betadine to rub on the wounds and maybe some red kote, fruazone spray or some granulex to spray onto the wounds after washing twice a day with the betadine. if your worried about the swelling, get some numotizine, vet wrap and elastican, put the numotizine on the swelling, provided its not open wounds, wrap it with some cotton wrap, then vet wrap, not tight just slightly snug. Be careful on how you wrap, don't bandage any joints, they need to flex, after the vet wrap, one wrap with the elastikan to hold it together change once a day for a couple days.

I am not a vet and take no responsibility, my knowledge is based on taking care of horses, but I did stay at a holiday inn once. </div></div>

This is exactly why you take all of this info with a grain of salt. If it were my dog I would not think twice and take him to a VET that is certified to treat your dog, not your horse. We have vets for a reason, to care for our pets.

Be on the safe side, take him in. He will be fine with some cleaned wounds, I often keep Neosporine on my dogs little cuts and scrapes. It seems to help a lot and the vet said its 100% ok.

Julio, I know you would walk away and wash up after taking a beating like that to yourself. Your pup got the equivelant of a black eye(I do hope he gave back as much as he took). If home cleaning and treating isn't working just remember a vet willask about the rabies thing as to the other dog. If you don't know, then there will questions and possibily a lot of shots. As I said, Bulleit and LAzy are about the same size(65#) they are dogs, they take small ass whoopings when they play, a little swelling if a paw gets stepped on or cruched or bit, but if there are no open injuries by the swelling it's a compression injury not infection...those black eyes may take a day to fully swell sometimes.
Use a flashlight and thouroughly check him out. If you see redness and swelling at open injury sites, that is normal, however, extreme redness and swelling at open injuries is cause for concern. Closed, swollen injuries are bruises and should be checked with pressure to insure his paw is not boken.
I'm not a vet, but I have read lots of books on taking care of my own dogs by neccessity. We used to have to DIY it because a vet's costs was out of the question. Use your consciounce and common sense after checking him out

Glad to see your dog was able to make it out ok and that you were uninjured as well.

Thanks guys for the tips, we just got back from the vet. He checked him out throughly and said it's not too bad, we went ahead and gave him another rabies vaccine and prescribed some antibiotics.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lazy21</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks guys for the tips, we just got back from the vet. He checked him out throughly and said it's not too bad, we went ahead and gave him another rabies vaccine and prescribed some antibiotics. </div></div>

Good call. This is money well spent IMO. Ask my wife about how I hate taking our dogs to the vet and treat most things myself, things she doesn't believe are possible w/o being a veterinarian and this is something that I would have gone in to get treatment for. Hell, our female tore her back open (through all the layers and you could see the ribs) twice and my home fix on the second one looks better today than the vet's fix on the first one that's had longer to heal the scar. Your dog will be just fine and now you know that to be the case.

Glad you were able to defend your dog and yourself. My dog is always getting cuts a scuff marks on him from playing rough and I usually just wipe a bit of neosporin on the wound after cleaning the area. That said, an actual puncture wound is something I'd probably take him to the vet for. I used to work for a professional dog trainer / breeding kennel and was responsible for taking care of between 50-60 dogs at a time, that many dogs are going to get hurt sooner or later. The wounds that go beneath the skin always seem to manifest themselves into something more serious than they look after a few days. You can't clean further than the surface. My vet charges $35 for a visit with the doctor and is very reasonable on their medicines, they'll often even waive the doctors visit if you call ahead to explain what is going on and just send you out the door with some antibiotics. Either way, I think it's worth the money to take them to the vet when there is a puncture bite wound. For cuts and things like that I get them as clean as possible and neosporin or a dab of super glue depending on how deep it is.

Any kind of puncture wound can get nasty real quick, I'm glad you took him to a Vet and had him checked out. Good on you for neutralizing the threat quickly the second time. Take care of that pup and he'll take care of you - he's a nice looking dog.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bryan27</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Glad you were able to defend your dog and yourself. My dog is always getting cuts a scuff marks on him from playing rough and I usually just wipe a bit of neosporin on the wound after cleaning the area. </div></div>

I did that once and the vet told me that while I had done a good job cleaning the wound, I shouldn't have put neosporin on it, she said the goo if left on, would slow the healing.

Should have had the vet clip it's nails while you were there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shot In The Dark</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bryan27</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Glad you were able to defend your dog and yourself. My dog is always getting cuts a scuff marks on him from playing rough and I usually just wipe a bit of neosporin on the wound after cleaning the area. </div></div>

I did that once and the vet told me that while I had done a good job cleaning the wound, I shouldn't have put neosporin on it, she said the goo if left on, would slow the healing. </div></div>

Don't use that vet again. If you want to PM me off of the public forum to tell me which local vet that was I would be curious. We actually took our dogs out of one particular vet mid-exam because the vet was a complete idiot and I didn't trust them as far as I could throw them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Switchblade</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lazy looks like he's a Pit or AmStaff mix. What's his mix J? How much does he weigh? Just asking because he looks about the same as Bulleit</div></div>

shar pei and pit bull and weights @ 47.5

love this picture of him

DSC_4365.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lazy21</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Switchblade</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lazy looks like he's a Pit or AmStaff mix. What's his mix J? How much does he weigh? Just asking because he looks about the same as Bulleit</div></div>

love this picture of him

DSC_4365.jpg
</div></div>

Hate crime?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lazy21</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Switchblade</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lazy looks like he's a Pit or AmStaff mix. What's his mix J? How much does he weigh? Just asking because he looks about the same as Bulleit</div></div>

love this picture of him

DSC_4365.jpg
</div></div>

Hate crime?</div></div>

why do you say that?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lazy21</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lazy21</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Switchblade</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lazy looks like he's a Pit or AmStaff mix. What's his mix J? How much does he weigh? Just asking because he looks about the same as Bulleit</div></div>

love this picture of him

DSC_4365.jpg
</div></div>

Hate crime?</div></div>

why do you say that? </div></div>

It was a joke. A pit bull attacked your pit bull mix.

lol..........but whats crazy was that, he did his best to keep that dog away form me, even tho the dog was huge and not fair for him. He's protected me and I'm so grateful to have a pup like Lazy with a great heart. Glad I was able to return the favor and take care of the threat before it escalated.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lazy21</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
lol..........but whats crazy was that, he did his best to keep that dog away form me, even tho the dog was huge and not fair for him. He's protected me and I'm so grateful to have a pup like Lazy with a great heart. Glad I was able to return the favor and take care of the threat before it escalated. </div></div>

He's a lucky dog to have an owner like you and that's why he's willing to protect you... just like you are willing to protect him. That's what best friends are for.
cool.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lazy21</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
lol..........but whats crazy was that, he did his best to keep that dog away form me, even tho the dog was huge and not fair for him. He's protected me and I'm so grateful to have a pup like Lazy with a great heart. Glad I was able to return the favor and take care of the threat before it escalated.</div></div>

It Awesome to have a protective dog.( Not that i would know) Last year I had a bear come into my camp and the reason i knew it was in camp... My dog was hiding behind me shaking like a leaf. LOL

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: usmc80</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lazy21</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
lol..........but whats crazy was that, he did his best to keep that dog away form me, even tho the dog was huge and not fair for him. He's protected me and I'm so grateful to have a pup like Lazy with a great heart. Glad I was able to return the favor and take care of the threat before it escalated.</div></div>

It Awesome to have a protective dog.( Not that i would know) Last year I had a bear come into my camp and the reason i knew it was in camp... My dog was hiding behind me shaking like a leaf. LOL </div></div>

Dogs may be brave but they're not stupid.
grin.gif

That's why me, Bulleit, and Panty 6 are life long loyal family. Bulleit will never let anyone threaten me, or especially Panty 6. He is fearless...well, except for the vacuum cleaner. He will protect the family and the family will protect him.

My pitbull hasn't left my wifes side in almost 6 months. She is pregnant with our first and he knows something is different. They are extremely smart and most people do not give them enough credit. It's all on the owners and how they treat them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYshooter338$</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My pitbull hasn't left my wifes side in almost 6 months. She is pregnant with our first and he knows something is different. They are extremely smart and most people do not give them enough credit. It's all on the owners and how they treat them. </div></div>

you're 100% right, it sucks that dog had to die. Would have rather put a round through the person that raised him. Lazy is doing much better, he's now walking around a bit. Hopefully he recovers soon, I hate to see him suffer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tucker301</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That pitbull belonged to the guy who runs "Whitey's".
</div></div>

LOL!!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYshooter338$</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ubet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If it were me I would go to the feed store, get betadine to rub on the wounds and maybe some red kote, fruazone spray or some granulex to spray onto the wounds after washing twice a day with the betadine. if your worried about the swelling, get some numotizine, vet wrap and elastican, put the numotizine on the swelling, provided its not open wounds, wrap it with some cotton wrap, then vet wrap, not tight just slightly snug. Be careful on how you wrap, don't bandage any joints, they need to flex, after the vet wrap, one wrap with the elastikan to hold it together change once a day for a couple days.

I am not a vet and take no responsibility, my knowledge is based on taking care of horses, but I did stay at a holiday inn once. </div></div>

This is exactly why you take all of this info with a grain of salt. If it were my dog I would not think twice and take him to a VET that is certified to treat your dog, not your horse. We have vets for a reason, to care for our pets.

Be on the safe side, take him in. He will be fine with some cleaned wounds, I often keep Neosporine on my dogs little cuts and scrapes. It seems to help a lot and the vet said its 100% ok. </div></div>

I don't know you n you don't know me. But I have seen more animals crippled for life or had to be put down cause vets made BIG mistakes, and it was in the premier clinic in can. I see problems everyday from vets who mis diagnose things, its a practice to them. That is why I know how to sew up animals and how to treat most things thatoccur. I have sewn up 8 inch long wound on a horses chest, when it healed, you couldnt tell anything had happened, it was 2 inches deep, I could make a fist and stick it in there. I think I know what I'm talking about, the dogs wounds aren't even deep.

In other words why don't you just go pound sand!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ubet</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYshooter338$</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ubet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If it were me I would go to the feed store, get betadine to rub on the wounds and maybe some red kote, fruazone spray or some granulex to spray onto the wounds after washing twice a day with the betadine. if your worried about the swelling, get some numotizine, vet wrap and elastican, put the numotizine on the swelling, provided its not open wounds, wrap it with some cotton wrap, then vet wrap, not tight just slightly snug. Be careful on how you wrap, don't bandage any joints, they need to flex, after the vet wrap, one wrap with the elastikan to hold it together change once a day for a couple days.

<span style="color: #FF0000">I am not a vet and take no responsibility, my knowledge is based on taking care of horses, but I did stay at a holiday inn once.</span> </div></div>

Be on the safe side, take him in. He will be fine with some cleaned wounds, I often keep Neosporine on my dogs little cuts and scrapes. It seems to help a lot and the vet said its 100% ok. </div></div>

I don't know you n you don't know me. But I have seen more animals crippled for life or had to be put down cause vets made BIG mistakes, and it was in the premier clinic in can. I see problems everyday from vets who mis diagnose things, its a practice to them. That is why I know how to sew up animals and how to treat most things thatoccur. I have sewn up 8 inch long wound on a horses chest, when it healed, you couldnt tell anything had happened, it was 2 inches deep, I could make a fist and stick it in there. I think I know what I'm talking about, the dogs wounds aren't even deep.

In other words why don't you just go pound sand! </div></div>

I didn't say you were wrong or not an equine, but your also not a vet, which deals in a broad spectrum of animal care. Not just horses. I also said to take everyones medical advice on a public forum with a grain of salt. Its not always going to be spot on. Have you looked over his dog? Can you make an accurate diagnosis over the internet? NO.

So, chill out. If you need the "hurt feelings report" I can probably have someone post it for you!!! And I am pretty sure whats highlighted in red sums it up about this SPECIFIC situation.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lazy21</div><div class="ubbcode-body">this really sucks, is this anything to worry about? His paw is starting to swell

DSC_4886.jpg
</div></div>

trim those nails dude. Its normal for swelling to occur, just like in humans. Monitor it for a few days. if it don't go down then go to the vet

x4 on the betadyn

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Switchblade</div><div class="ubbcode-body">He is fearless...well, except for the vacuum cleaner. He will protect the family and the family will protect him. </div></div>

LOL! Yours is afraid of the vacuum cleaner too? I have two Pit rescues. Both of them are gonzo as soon as the vac comes out from the closet!

To the OP: A low grit sanding drum on a dremel works great for taking care of dog nails. The typical nail clippers are very painful for the dog and it will make them very skiddish anytime you try to clip their nails.

I'm glad Lazy is recovering and will be fine. This is exactly the reason why I carry when I'm walking the dogs. They are members of my family and I love them as such. With that being said I wont allow anyone or anything to bring them harm. I would hate to have to shoot someones dog but I would to protect my own. Give Lazy a pat on the head and a big hug from me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Atmosfear</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To the OP: A low grit sanding drum on a dremel works great for taking care of dog nails. The typical nail clippers are very painful for the dog and it will make them very skiddish anytime you try to clip their nails.</div></div>

Bingo, run on the low speed setting too. The higher speeds 1) cause more high pitched noise which may or may not be more painful to your dog's ears 2) create more heat which may or may not be more painful to your dog depending on how long it takes for each nail and 3) tends to burn instead of grind and I don't think I need to tell you why burning flesh is generally best avoided. Don't spend more on fancy nail grinders because they have inferior motors that fail sooner and the replacement parts are generally proprietary and more expensive (if the place hasn't gone out of business in which case you'll be modifying Dremel parts/accessories to work anyway)

Dog attack and a new baby all in a week.... Hate to see what is in store for you next week!
smile.gif
Glad everything is going well with the pup (and Baby).