• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Pity the Fool...I need some help with my new-to-me AI AW rifle

Centuriator

Dude...you're being very un-Dude.
Banned !
Minuteman
Jul 3, 2012
Middle 'Merica!
So, here I am with my awesome AI AW .338 Lapua Magnum rifle and ... I could sure use a user's manual. I mean, seriously. I can not for the life of me even figure out how to get the bolt back in the darn thing...does anyone have any video instructions to suggest, or better yet, a link to a user's manual for this rifle?

Thanks very much.

Problem is that the rifle came with the bolt out and I'll be darned if I can get it back in again....

See the photo below for what I am experiencing..can't get it past the cheek piece.
mVA5bnT.jpg

Have you tried removeing the cheek piece?

http://www.accuracyinternational.co...manager/AI-15590-02A USER MANUAL, AT-0i5m.pdf

FIXED CHASSIS MODEL: Loosen the cheek piece retaining screws and remove the cheek piece as described in section 4.3.

4.3 CHEEK PIECE ADJUSTMENTS

The AT308 rifle is fitted with a cheek piece that can be adjusted for height and lateral position.

CHEEK PIECE HEIGHT ADJUSTMENT SCREWS

CHEEKPIECE LATERAL ADJUSTMENT SCREWS

To adjust the height of the cheek piece, or to remove the cheekpiece:
  •  Loosen the cheek piece adjustment screws
  •  Adjust the height of the cheek piece to the desired position, or remove as required.
  •  Tighten the cheek piece adjustment screws.

To adjust the lateral position of the cheek piece (left and right):
  •  Loosen the vertical adjustment screws and remove the cheekpiece / platform assembly

from the butt sub-frame.
  •  Loosen the screws holding the cheekpiece on platform, adjust and retighten the screws.
  •  Replace cheekpiece platform assembly in the butt sub-frame, adjust the cheekpiece

height as desired and retighten screws.

Last edited:
No, thanks...I have no manual for this rifle...(would love to find one, in fact, any manual for the AIAW chassis).

Will give this a whirl, I'm sure that's it.

The new AIAT is pretty similar to the AW family of rifles with the exception of the quick lock barrel change. The manuals should be very similar between the two, or you could call AI and have them send you a copy.

Get the cheek piece out and you can get the bolt back in. On the folding chassis, you'd simply fold the stock away but in your case, you have to do the former. It's only a minor inconvenience. Luckily, the bolt rarely needs to come out. Enjoy the rifle!

I put link up to the AW manual.

I will try to find the AWM manual but they should be pretty close.

I have an AT, that's why I got the folder mostly, so I can get the bolt in/out without having to take the cheekpiece off. Enjoy your awesome AI!!!!

Makes sense. I'm just trying to get the darn thing back in, thanks for the help.

Is the bolt still cocked or has the firing pin dropped?
If the bolt is still cocked as shown in your picture then indeed remove cheek piece by loosening the 2 thumb screws and pulling out, start bolt into receiver while depressing bolt release.

Something I learned is if you are going to remove the bolt and the design allows it, is to place the safety on. In the AT's case, the mid position. If the firing pin drops, for example while trying to field strip the bolt in the incorrect way, re-cocking the bolt while it is out of the receiver can be a little tricky. Don't ask how I know.

Thanks, Tom, I'll take you up on the offer if I hit a roadblock...I'll give it a whirl myself first.

I appreciate it.

Breaking News!!

I successfully removed the "thumb screws" by "unscrewing" them...the last guy torqued them down with a pneumatic wrench apparently, a pair of pliers later and ... poof ... cheed piece off, bolt easily back in and ... holy cats ... there is no lube on it and it feels glassy smooth and the trigger is awesome!

Oh my...this is one awesome rifle.

Thanks for help and for patiently abiding this fool, and for pitying him.

:)

You skipped Netflix and tried to go straight to chill with your AW ddn't you?

Cheap bastard!

Photographic evidence of the awesome overcoming of abject stupidity (at least in this one single instance).

The bolt is nestled safely back in place.

Attachments

• photo54086.jpg
    photo54086.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 16
  • photo54087.jpg
    photo54087.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 13
  • photo54088.jpg
    photo54088.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 14
Glad you got it sorted. I contacted one of our engineers so for future reference to anyone here is his response.

"Standard practise on the old AWSM’S with a fixed cheek-piece to raise or remove the cheek-piece to refit the bolt.
If the cocking piece is in the fire position out of the weapon he should just cock it by hand before refitting it to the rifle.
This is done by simply holding the shroud between thumb & fingers in the left hand, bolt handle towards your body & then twisting the bolt away from you (up), putting the cocking-piece into the cocked position."

Tom Irwin
Accuracy International

Glad you got it sorted. I contacted one of our engineers so for future reference to anyone here is his response.

"Standard practise on the old AWSM’S with a fixed cheek-piece to raise or remove the cheek-piece to refit the bolt.
If the cocking piece is in the fire position out of the weapon he should just cock it by hand before refitting it to the rifle.
This is done by simply holding the shroud between thumb & fingers in the left hand, bolt handle towards your body & then twisting the bolt away from you (up), putting the cocking-piece into the cocked position."

Tom Irwin
Accuracy International

It's nice to know that our baby's maker is looking out for them and are available to answer questions. I'm not aware of any other bespoke manufacture (or any rifle manufacture) that offers this level of waaaaaaaaay after sales support.

It's nice to know that our baby's maker is looking out for them and are available to answer questions. I'm not aware of any other bespoke manufacture (or any rifle manufacture) that offers this level of waaaaaaaaay after sales support.

Agreed!

I also agree with that, though to be fair about it Barret has their own Forum for their users. Unfortunatly is seems that the person responsible for the Barret Forum is on a vacation.

tom may be on vacation, but AIUSA is not. I contacted them via email asking if they would happen to have a manual for my older chassis and rifle and ... they responded back by saying, "Send us your address, we'll drop one in the mail to you." Boom.

Nice.