• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

planning out a ghetto build.

din

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 19, 2012
SLC, UT
I'm doing the research for a budget build right now, and seek the guidance of ye more experienced. It will probably be quite a while before I finish, which is fine, I'm probably going to buy an inexpensive rifle and replace parts as funds allow. So for the initial investment, I'm looking at a Stevens 200 or a Howa 1500. I've already ruled out Remington just to be difficult. Probably going to start with .308 and rebarrel to 6.5 CM or .260, unless I find a really good deal on something in a different SA caliber. I was also thinking on 7mm mag with eventual transformation into 7mm RSAUM, but I think for getting started out that might be slightly overkill, but I will want one down the pike for elk. Right now, though, I'm looking for marksmanship skills on paper and beanie babies full of tannerite. So of the two actions, which would you suggest, and why?

Re: planning out a ghetto build.

When I think ghetto build, a few things come to mind,

- Stevens action
- A&B barrel
- Choate stock
- SS scope

I've mulled a down and dirty 338 build...

Out of the Stevens or Howa 1500 I would go with Stevens mainly because you can swap the barrel out yourself. Also I'm not certain but I would think there would be more aftermarket parts for that action.

I'm new to rifles, but I set out with (almost) the same goal while building my .308 Rem 700 SPS Varmint. When it comes to long-range caliber, I think .308 or a similar round in the 30 cal. family like the 30-06, but I've heard some talk about .260s doing well.

My final build on my Remmy will look something like this:

26" Remington heavy bull barrel contour
Factory X-Mark Pro Trigger
Factory stock (if I had a few hundred more, I'd get the B&C Medalist Tactical A2 or A5 style stock)
Falcon Menace 4-14x44 FFP mil/mil
Leupold Standard Base and Rings

All of which ran me pretty much exactly $1000, and should get me out past 600 yards easily and will outlast my accuracy for quite a while.

My advice on your build: Really read up online what other people's personal experiences have been, and scour the Bolt-Action LR and Caliber Choices FAQs. Those FAQs have been incredibly helpful, and even if you already know half or more of it, it can't help reviewing before you make a decision.

Also, really search for the best price. At MSRP, this rifle would have cost me around $1250, and I haven't even replaced the stock or the trigger. I got a deal on the Falcon Menace on the Optics for Sale forum on SH, Buds Gun Shop got me the best price on the rifle itself, and SWFA always has low prices, which showed on my Leupold mount.

Good luck with your build!

I don't know. I'm going to give a try at trying to persuade you into reconsidering the Remington. I'm not knocking the Stevens, but I really don't see why everyone is so wild about being able to switch barrels yourself.

Most guys that I know, who prefer the Savage platform, do away with the barrel nut when they upgrade to a new barrel. The primary reason being that they want the extra meat at the chamber. With a Savage/Stevens, you have to turn the barrel down to fit the nut. Of course, opinions differ on this and this is just my opinion.

In any case, I'd consider getting into a Remington ADL model. They're pretty cheap and you can start from there.

And, if you aren't persuaded, I'd go with the Stevens. More access to better triggers and stocks.

The Remington ADL got phased out- its spiritual succesor, if you will, is the Remington SPS. It's a good platform with lots of options straight from Remington (SPS Tactical, SPS Varmint, stainless actions, detachable mag over hinged floorplate mags, etc.). I don't know much about the Savage platform, or the Stevens, but the Remington 700 SPS is certainly a very upgradeable platform to start from.

Nothing wrong with the howa, if that is where you want to start. Many people say there isn't very many aftermarket parts to go with but I've had no trouble. Manner's can inlet their stocks for the howa, CDI makes bottom metal for the howa, rifle basix has better triggers for the howa, even though the factory trigger tuned up isn't bad. But I have gone with all the above and have not had any problems. Also you can buy a barreled action only from howa, 308 heavy barrel and drop it in your choice of stock and add bottom metal. When I bought my action I believe it cost a little over 400.

Walter

You said Ghetto, so I'd say go with the Stevens/Savage. You can get the rifle built cheap and for now, it will most likely shoot way better than you are capable of.

Action: $200
Barrel & caliber choice: $290 (Criterion on Shilen from northland shooter supply)
These are chambered and ready to go, and pretty damn accurate.
Stock: Bell & Carlson new or used: $200-$280 (me bedding required)

You can upgrade to CDI bottom metal if you want for roughly $200
Optics.....that's all up to you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trevor300wsm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

I'd rather have a $500 rifle with 3k of glass then a 3k rifle with shit glass. For "gheto" I too would go with a stevens/ savage. As much as i love remmys, they just cant get a low enogh price to meet savage.... My next bolt gun will most likely be a savage in 6.5cm.

It will cost more than you think, My current project:
rifle & tax 371
stainless nut 15
recoil lug 28
barrel 339
shipping 18
credit card fee 12
stock 235
trigger 95
dies 100
bullets 21
brass 52
barrel wrench 25
action wrench 60
shipping 12
rented headspace guages 25
Total 1408

Get the howa and forget about the savage...I've got both and the howa is in a league by itself . Mine is a .308 20" heavy barrel and my best group to date is 1.006" at 300 yds...try to match that with any other maker period. Oh, and there were 4 witnesses in case you think I'm pilling your leg.

You said Ghetto, so I'd say go with the Stevens/Savage. You can get the rifle built cheap and for now, it will most likely shoot way better than you are capable of.
Action: $200
Barrel & caliber choice: $290 (Criterion on Shilen from northland shooter supply)
These are chambered and ready to go, and pretty damn accurate.
Stock: Bell & Carlson new or used: $200-$280 (me bedding required)

You can upgrade to CDI bottom metal if you want for roughly $200

I have 2 Savage long actions I paid less than $250 for each gun- Pawn shops/gunbroker. Strip the useless parts off and sell them to get some money back.
Buy a stock takeoff 308 heavy barrel for about $100-150 that will spin right on.
Boyd's tacticool stock for $100, and install the pillars yourself.
Nikon Buckmaster mil-dot for under $300 (there are other options)

Done

By the way, I didn't think people built semi-percision rifles in the ghetto.

With the time, money and effort that goes into a build (even with a Savage), you'd be better off just buying what you want in a factory rifle and waiting till funds are available to upgrade. A good factory gun will shoot as well as a low end build.

With the time, money and effort that goes into a build (even with a Savage), you'd be better off just buying what you want in a factory rifle and waiting till funds are available to upgrade. A good factory gun will shoot as well as a low end build.

This!

This is false economy. Once you add the new barrel, trigger, stock, you're way outside 'ghetto'. Just get a good basic rifle (that savage 10tr looks solid), then add decent cheap glass (swfa 10x) and be done with it for under a grand.

I did not even read all the post. The one above this is correct. Just get a rifle and shoot it. It will serve you better, re sell better. And do not rule out Remington. It will be your best bet on both counts, service and resale.

I suggest scouring the for sale section. I just picked up a remington 700 in 308 with a Krieger barrel (1920 round count) and a HS Precision stock, 100 pieces of Lapua brass (50 new), load data/dope charts, 20 MOA Badger Ordnance base, and the neck sizing die for 900 shipped. Don't pass up a quality used rifle as you will get more for your money and have a better product.

Good Luck with the build/buy.

This is false economy. Once you add the new barrel, trigger, stock, you're way outside 'ghetto'. Just get a good basic rifle (that savage 10tr looks solid), then add decent cheap glass (swfa 10x) and be done with it for under a grand.

stevens 200-250 bucks
match barrel 350
choate stock 200
trigger 100

That is 800-850 bucks for a rifle that should shoot lights out.

I suggest scouring the for sale section. I just picked up a remington 700 in 308 with a Krieger barrel (1920 round count) and a HS Precision stock, 100 pieces of Lapua brass (50 new), load data/dope charts, 20 MOA Badger Ordnance base, and the neck sizing die for 900 shipped. Don't pass up a quality used rifle as you will get more for your money and have a better product.

Good Luck with the build/buy.

This, and later down the road you can always pick up a new barrel for it. This by far is the cheaper route considering what all is in it.

Sent via toaster oven.

Budget Long Range Tactical Rifle Project

Used Savage 110FP in 300WM
Choate stock
Ken Farrell +20moa base
Millett TRS-1 (sample list)
Scope level
Chinese knockoff bipod

Shoots 1/2 inch at 100 yds with Berger 230s and H1000. Barrel heats very quickly and this config is not suitable for sustained fire (I.e. matches). Weighs about #15.

$1000.00

New Criterion barrel will be about $400.00 when I "need" it. Loaded rounds too long for magazine. Stock could be inletted ($65) for DBM ($220) and AI mags ($100 each). Then not "budget" anymore.

This is what i would build on a budget...doesn't include rings (badger rail , tactical knob if wanted) or shipping on some parts. It's not ghetto but about 1000 dollars cheaper then most custom built rifles and could be had for cheaper by swapping out a few parts

Remington action-400
Manners Hunting stock-500
Barrel-330 (from bugholes..includes shipping
Old style rem trigger plus tuning it-90
PTG recoil lug-30
PTG stealth bottom metal with mag-187
Gun smithing work by GAP(trued action, chambering barrel, and cerakote-825 with return shipping)
Total would be around $2500 for a very nice shooting rifle ... About another 250 for the badger rail and bolt knob

Last edited:
My vote: Wait until black friday and visit Dicks Sporting goods. While you wait save up some coin for accessories, or start stocking up on reloading gear.

I picked up a Rem 700 SPS Varmint 308 there a few years back for ~$480, ready to roll and decently accurate out the door. Once I had rifle in hand, I upgraded in increments (and put about 2000 rounds down the tube for practice). Started with a Vortex 6.5-20x44, later added a Jewell Trigger & Tubbs Firing Pin. A few months down the road I added an XLR Evolution (Although now they have the Element for less). Most recently dropped the gun off at Hawk Hill Custom for action "blueprint" and rebarrel plus Muzzle Brake, Bolt knob and cerakote. (Picking it up in two days I CANT EFFIN WAIT!)

Chances are if you go the cheap route now, you will wish you had something else later, so buy a quality gun, with lots of aftermarket potential so you are free to go through several iterations before getting the thing exactly as you want it in the end.

Last edited: