• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Planting food plots

Csf45

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 23, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
Looking to get a tidbit of advice. I'm wanting to get a disk to drag behind my 4 wheeler for planting food plots. Which one has worked well for you?

Re: Planting food plots

I have found that nothing works as well as a tractor with a disc in all situations. Having said that, I have used one of these quite a few times and they work the best out of the few different ones I have tried. The soil moisture needs to be right and you cannot have a lot of trash (grass, weeds, etc) for it to work the best. Even when everything is right, it still seems to take a few passes over the area for the disc to do its job and get the soil like you need it to plant. The main problem with small atv pull behind discs is the lack of down pressure to cut into the soil. We typically add weight to the small disc if we are using it. All in all, there really is no substitute that I have found that works as well as a tractor. I would try to borrow a small tractor with a disc or rent one, if at all possible. The results will be a lot better and more predictable.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kyabrams66</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've heard good things about the Groundhog Max.
http://www.groundhogmax.com/ </div></div>

I had one of those when they first came out and I wasnt impressed. We had the king kutter I referenced above before the groundhog max and we went back to using it. The website says its new and improved and that may be true, but I dont see how notched blades would make that big of a difference.

If you want to try out the groundhog max, I will make you a good deal on my used one.

Good luck

just be sure to do your best to properly prepare your spots and remove all weeds or grass that is currently there

it will payoff huge in the long run