• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Plate Carrier as weight vest?

baue

Minuteman
Jun 22, 2014
Colorado Springs
Anyone do this? Was considering just getting a weight vest but it seems like a plate carrier would be about the same, and may even be more comfortable.

I have used my issued armor for PT uses.

Now, I plan on getting training plates (non-ballistic), to add weight. It certainly does ride better then the weight vests I've tried. Wearing weight vests for wildland fire qualification and trying out the big box store samples made me stick to a plate carrier type deal.

I have used my issued armor for PT uses.

Now, I plan on getting training plates (non-ballistic), to add weight. It certainly does ride better then the weight vests I've tried. Wearing weight vests for wildland fire qualification and trying out the big box store samples made me stick to a plate carrier type deal.

Do you think its any more or less comfortable than a commercial weight vest?

Do you think its any more or less comfortable than a commercial weight vest?

I have found it much more comfortable then the commercial weight vests I've tried by far. In my experience the commercial weight vests don't end up feeling as balanced and don't "ride" right.

Plus side is to add weight you can use taped up worn out mags in mag pouches filled with sand.

There are 2 options that I'm aware of for the non ballistic plates they are:
https://www.warriortrail.com/products-page/gear/e-sapi-plate/
ESAPI Non-Ballistic Training Plate - Team Wendy

Keep in mind though, wearing an armor or plate carrier in public may not be the best choice for the area you live in, so keep that in consideration when you make your own choice.

I think its definetly a better setup then a weight vest. A lot more $$$$ but I have no complaints.
Have the Blue Force minimalist carrier with optional padded shoulder wraps.Holds both my front and rear sappi plates. Sits at 12lbs as shown. Hammer down 8-10 miles a day, 5-6 days a week in varying terrain (asphalt, wooded/dirt trail) with and without the mask. Swap out the carrier for ruck running with old school Alice pack. 30lbs as shown. Its just the frame with bag portion cinched down flat. 2.5" round stock zip tied to top of the frame. Good for 4 miles @ 36-38 minutes in AM. 4 miles @ 38-40 min after work under it. Usually will do a few weeks ruck running 4 mile in the morn,4 more after work then swap back to plate carrier/mask.

Last edited: