• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Plate carrier questions

22_250

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 20, 2010
Midland, TX
Looking for suggestions on a good to high quality plate carrier. Top loading for the plates since i dont want to have to worry about dropping plates...

Re: Plate carrier questions

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shootingaces</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looking for suggestions on a good to high quality plate carrier. Top loading for the plates since i dont want to have to worry about dropping plates... </div></div>

Hmmmmm....my plates have never fallen out?

Youve had plates fall out from the bottom? You must have a really crappy plate carrier, or just doing some high speed shit.

Thanks for the suggestions. No i have not had the plates fall out but why risk it.... esp. Since many designs have the cumberbund velcro right next to the hook and loop for the plate pockets. Better safe than sorry and its just peace of mind.. what about Beez Combat Systems? Pros/cons..

I understand your concern but honestly why would these companies sell a product that could possibly lead to breaking a ballistic plate? The majority of these bottom loaders have a retention mechanism in addition to the visible closure. Maybe rethink it to broaden your options? My kit is bottom loading and velcro and is a monster to take out!

My eagle ciras and my diamonback fapc are both bottom load. Both have been thru a lot and never had a plate come out. Im sure if plates fell out of ciras's socom wouldnt be using them amongst other pcs

If you are worried about a bottom loaded plate carrier just take some heavy duty thread and tack down the corners of the hook & loop flaps that retain the plates. (Sometimes its easier to modify your gear around your specific needs)
The majority of the best plate carrier options available are bottom loaded.
I use a TAG Banshee Plate Carrier without the cummerbund. It's affordable and does what it is supposed to do.

Check out S&S Precision for the latest and greatest of plate carriers. It's a minimalist's armor frame carrier. Link Here

The only plate carrier I can think of that is loaded from the top is my cousin's Blackhawk Gear plate carrier - which they quit making about five years ago. I have a BAE Eclipse RBAV and am issued an IOTV for work and both are bottom loading vests. I've used my IOTV pretty extensively as an Infantryman in Iraq and though I haven't really tested my personal RBAV much, it's the new chosen vest of Army SF - they do a lot of high speed shit and I don't think I've ever heard of them worrying about their plates falling out the bottom.

You'd have a whole lot more quality choices if you got rid of your top loading requirement.

I'll voice another vote for the eagle industries' scalable plate carrier. these things are indestructible!

Just got all the stuff at the bottom in from Tyr and all I can say is wow very high quality material, stitching, design and great customer service. Like it so much that I will be making another order here next week.

2012-03-01_14-53-50_872.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SteelShot11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Id just check this out....aint cheap but its top of the line gear.

http://www.eagleindustries.com/product.php?productid=51&cat=78&page=1

</div></div>

That is a Eagle CIRAS and the design is over 10 years old. Although it will carry plates, it is not a plate carrier (see OP). It was cutting edge for several years, but most of the industry has moved on. Still a desirable piece of kit if you need full spectrum battle rattle, but a lot of other choices could be made for a plate carrier.

For those fans of the Eagle Industries (from pre ATK days) I think you will like the offerings from FirstSpear:

http://www.triadtactical.com/FirstSpear/

Their Beat UP plate carrier is right there with anything else on the market at this time:

xxx-12-00005-xxx-xx.jpg