• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Plate carriers. Can a civilian legally own one?

JelloStorm

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2010
Northeast Pennsylvania
I have a Blackhawk vest that holds all my AR mags and stuff and have been looking into get a plate carrier vest recently.

I wouldn't mind a plate carrier vest, which is easy enough to get, however, it is legal for a civilian to get the plates for in the vest?

My buddy is ex-Army and has a vest and all the plates (somehow) he brought home from Iraq and he won't part with it for obvious reasons.

Are these plates restricted so civilians cannot buy them or are they just extremely hard to get?

Re: Plate carriers. Can a civilian legally own one?

You have to check your local laws, some jurisdictions do have restrictions on civilians owning body armor (CT), but most do not.

Watch what you buy, there is a lot of stuff out now that is not NIJ certified, and there is a lot of stolen military stuff.

If it is not sold new from a reputable dealer, you are probably wasting your money and taking your chances!

Best of Luck,
M Richardson

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: captrichardson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You have to check your local laws, some jurisdictions do have restrictions on civilians owning body armor (CT), but most do not.

Watch what you buy, there is a lot of stuff out now that is not NIJ certified, and there is a lot of stolen military stuff.

If it is not sold new from a reputable dealer, you are probably wasting your money and taking your chances!

Best of Luck,
M Richardson </div></div>

There is nothing in my city/state preventing me from purchasing anything so I'm good.

Do you have any reputable places I can start looking at? I'm a newbie to this so any advice would be welcomed.

JS

Check out Duck Armor. Avoid metal plates; The splash'll getcha!

bulletproofme.com is one of the only 'dealers' that sells to civilians that i know of. im not to up the legalities of selling new armor to the general public but no one seems to do it. i have heard that federal contracts make the dealers who sell to the the gov restrict sales to civilians, but im not sure. but i dont know if a law is on the books that restricts it.

ebay has tons of plates and you'll see plates for sale in the sale section quite often.

Really none of my business, but are you planning on getting shot?

Check Triad Tactical, I think they carry what you are looking for.

You can buy them on the civilian market, but Uncle Sam will issue you some for free...
wink.gif

Try U.S. Palm, nice low profile package.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mnshortdraw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Really none of my business, but are you planning on getting shot? </div></div>

To look like a hard ass at the range duh

you can buy the plates directly from the mfg if you want them, but i would have to ask why? having carnied plates and being like your buddy i also have my own set including plates, but unless im at the national forest public range
smile.gif
with all the gang bangers i avoid plates like a plague.....lol

+ 1 for Bulletproofme.com

They are very helpful to new buyers and carry good stuff. Go ceramic!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Moroni</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mnshortdraw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Really none of my business, but are you planning on getting shot? </div></div>

To look like a hard ass at the range duh </div></div>

It's for the zombie invasion, obviously!

yes you can own plates and a vest. there are no laws against it

Too Heavy and you get hot wearing them
twos years in the sand box I know

But I got mine hanging up in the garge just in case
lol

Hey Guys,

My hide is just as valuable to me as anyone elses is to them in a bad situation.

I thought civilians could own plates no problem. - just that only up to a certain level of protection. For instance I think most military folks are rockin level 6 (stops a certain amount of rounds of armor piercing 30 caliber something). Whereas civilians could only own like level 4 or 5.

Thats just the heresay I heard - don't take my word for Gospel please.

The ironic thing about keeping plates on the way out of the military is that to be in a position to do such a thing, you've probably worn the plates long enough that you would rather just die than ever wear them again.

Semper Heavy Body Armor

Yes, I own 2 sets of Level V Standalone plates, one in a MOLLE plate carrier, the other in a Blackhawk Low Vis plate carrier. Good gear.

+1 for bulletproofme.com, I've heard nothing but good about their products.

Also keep your eye on classifieds websites in military towns, plates pop up frequently.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hellohelmand</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes, I own 2 sets of Level V Standalone plates, one in a MOLLE plate carrier, the other in a Blackhawk Low Vis plate carrier. Good gear.

+1 for bulletproofme.com, I've heard nothing but good about their products.

Also keep your eye on classifieds websites in military towns, plates pop up frequently. </div></div>

Level V? What??

First off there is no level V. NIJ only certifies up to IV. And that is plates. Anything above that is fake. Or let me rephrase, untested, hence untrusted.
Download the PDF from NIJ explaining the different levels and what they can stop.
http://www.nij.gov/nij/pubs-sum/223054.htm

If there are no laws against it than it is legal. That is how the US works.

United States of America
United States law restricts possession of body armor for convicted violent felons. Many U.S. states also have penalties for possession or use of body armor by felons. In other states, such as Kentucky, possession is not prohibited, but probation or parole is denied to a person convicted of committing certain violent crimes while wearing body armor and carrying a deadly weapon. Additionally, some states outlaw the wearing of body armor while committing certain, usually violent, crimes.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballistic_vest#United_States_of_America

Some more descriptions from BulletProofMe.
http://www.bulletproofme.com/Ballistic_Protection_Levels.shtml

You can not own them if you are a felon. You can never be sure the plates are not cracked or fractured either. The only way to tell is a X-Ray machine.

As far as Level V body armor. Pinnacle makes a LVL V capable of stopping a .50 cal round. However I doubt you would survive even if it stopped it do to the kinetic energy transferred into your body. Im sure it would stop your heart. But a civilian cant own it so....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 144:1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As far as Level V body armor. Pinnacle makes a LVL V capable of stopping a .50 cal round. However I doubt you would survive even if it stopped it do to the kinetic energy transferred into your body. Im sure it would stop your heart. But a civilian cant own it so....</div></div>

Level 5 says who?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lawmaker</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 144:1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As far as Level V body armor. Pinnacle makes a LVL V capable of stopping a .50 cal round. However I doubt you would survive even if it stopped it do to the kinetic energy transferred into your body. Im sure it would stop your heart. But a civilian cant own it so....</div></div>

Level 5 says who? </div></div>

**Sigh** I stated it above and you quoted it. Pinnacle armor they are the manufacture of Dragon Skin. There was a video on discovery channel of them showing body armor on a stand. The pocket where a ceramic plate would go was filled with scales. They stated it could stop a .50 cal round. There is documentation about their level 5 armor but they state what it has the ability to defeat is currently classified. I personally wore dragon skin and it's a great product but it's much heavier then standard plates but you have more coverage and protection.

Yes I know what Dragon Skin is. It was a theoretical level 5. Never certified by anyone. Anyway the field testing failed any ways. Too heavy and the glue that held the scales in place did not hold up to the movement and heat of the sandbox.

Pinnacles Dragon Skin went under. Another company bought their manufacturing supplies and is actually sewing the scales now.

Yes I know what Dragon Skin is. It was a theoretical level 5. Never certified by anyone. Anyway the field testing failed any ways. Too heavy and the glue that held the scales in place did not hold up to the movement and heat of the sandbox.

Pinnacles Dragon Skin went under. Another company bought their manufacturing supplies and is actually sewing the scales now.

I saw a thread on this subject on another site some time back and many states really have no laws on it BUT if you are found to have a weapon, drugs and wearing a vest you got alot of splaining to do. Charges can be placed on you, it's the drugs that is the key element in the arrest as always then add on the rest and you are in big trouble. MM

Get some plates. Better to have them and not need them. If you have the cash, get some level IV ceramic plates. I have some sitting in my safe just in case.I have them in an Eagle plate carrier with cummerbund.

I own a few sets , the soft concealable vest made by Body Armor for daily wear , and i have a couple of heavy carriers with the plates
Do I need them ? maybe not ? but better to have them just in case !

I have worn the Soft armor religiously while traveling in Houston while I was truck driving making deliveries / with the front ceramic plate ! :-0

Now that I hear about all these people with plate carriers I feel totally prepared for the impending zombie invasion...Guess I better start saving...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: carterjoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Now that I hear about all these people with plate carriers I feel totally prepared for the impending zombie invasion.</div></div>

A chest plate will protect your braiiiiiiins?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mnshortdraw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Really none of my business, but are you planning on getting shot?</div></div>

no one plans on getting shot.. until they get shot.

OP chekc your local laws but absolutely yes you are perfectly able to purchase armor. State laws may vary but in NY as long as you are not a convicted Felon or planning on using the plates in the commsion of a crime (dont do that) then you are fine. Almost every vendor I know sells to everyone, creds or not.

check out DSGARMS.COM good folks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: khall540</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As long as you are not wearing it while committing a crime you should be good. </div></div>

I just don't see how this makes sense. If you're going to commit a crime and body armor might protect you, why wouldn't you do so if you had access to it?

Yeah, it is all legal, some won't sell to you though. Not sure about state laws. I keep a set of old IBA around and an oldie but goodie set of kevlar police armor.

Wear it? Are you crazy? You couldn't pay me (anymore) to walk around in that shit. You won't get too far too fast either unless you wear it around and exercise in it. Still nice to know I have it though. Got the pro masks too. Never can be too careful.

I'd much rather have it and not need it. It is the kind of crap that when you DO need it, it won't be available. My hope is the shit rots in the closet though.

No soft body armor or hard armor that you can carry will stop that .50. You might stop the projectile with some damn thick stuff, but you won't stop the 11,000 foot lbs. that it will punch you in the torso with. It won't NEED to hit the heart to kill you. A ruptured stomache, liver, etc. will do it too.

A guy on a range shot a coyote with an automated M2 by mistake. It broke its back. They started to call a cease fire, but not before I trained mine on it and finished it off with a burst (you don't do that and leave it to die). It disintegrated the animal, completely, nothing left but fragments and pink spray. It will do the same thing to you but worse if you are wearing armor because the temporary cavity will be compressed during the expansion (which refocuses energy back in). I don't care if you believe in temp wounds or not, a .50 doesn't leave the average temp cavity.

Also, an interesting note. I tested the .50 Beowulf for AA and my unit in the army (we tested a lot of shit). That little rifle firing 334gr. plated lead slugs will punch right through that IBA (not the plate) and do MUCH damage on the other side. The recovered slug, after going through the IBA, a milk jug of water, couple of cinder blocks and a huge creosote covered rail timber and a foot or so of earth in a non official test, was nearly turned inside out and the size of a silver dollar. Yeah, no shit. All three came out the same way. I got to keep that test mule, and I still have it, it is like having the Hammer of Thor only with a detachable magazine and reflex sight. Judging by numbers alone, the .460 and .50 S&W will do it too.

Armor is nice to have for the apocalypse, but not much else. Oh, and without the IBA or soft armor under that plate carrier? Good luck with trauma. A 5.56 STILL hits hard even if it stops it, a 7.62 moreso. I did know a guy that took three AK slugs in the chest before he changed positions. With the plates and the armor it still knocked the wind out of him and he blacked out once.

We sell armor if you need some and carry everything from concealable to full on battle ready.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hellohelmand</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Also keep your eye on classifieds websites in military towns, plates pop up frequently. </div></div>

<span style="font-weight: bold">DO NOT BUY THESE PLATES!</span>

A lot of people think that just because they paid a statement of charges to Uncle Sam means they bought those plates. They're wrong. It's stolen government property. I just recently had to go through it with Army CID because one of our dirt bag chapter soldiers thought he could just sell his because they were "lost" when he went AWOL.

Same goes for iOTV, OTVs and the rest of it. It is U.S. Military property and you can be arrested for trying to sell it. Plain and simple. If some of you guys want to argue it don't bother starting with me. Call a CID or NCIS office and ask them. Military is HOT on snatching these people up right now due to the forecasted equipment shortages due to budget cuts. Especially with eSAPI plates and iOTVs.

I used to think civilians who wanted to own them were kooks etc. but after my last trip to an outdoor unstaffed range out here I think differently- got muzzleswept several times by idiots, haven't been back since. If I had the extra $$$ for it I'd consider owning some since that is the nicest area to shoot locally but dang it gets infested with morons. AFAIK the only laws have to do with prior felons owning body armor of any kind.

For all those of you storing plates I suggest getting a dehumidifier and putting them in an air-tight, dark cabinet, or better yet bag'em with a food saver-you can make a bag to-size on your own easily. The fibers collect water very easily-a few percent humidity will cause break down in few years-and the fibers will lose around 90%+ of their ability to stop rounds without breaking. I'm working on a side-project right now on how to make plates with items around your house + fiberglass, and hopefully something works. I'll put up a forum when I actually have something to show.