• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Plate Sizing

samb300

GCP Rifle Co. Accuracy Obsession Vision Products
Minuteman
  • Feb 22, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI
    I'm kicking myself for being late to the game in terms of preparedness considering the political climate, but I'm looking at plate carriers and sizing. If I stick with SAPI plates sizes, would you recommend I go to a Medium or a Large? Most stuff I read on arfcom and reddit trends to always go smaller (even saw a 6'9" dude with Medium plates LOL), but I'm wondering based on my measurements if a Large wouldn't be optimal?

- 6'0"
    - 210 lbs (ideal weight for me is more like 190-200)
    - 43" chest
    - 11" nipple to nipple (this is center to center, if that matters. edge-to-edge would be more like 10")
    - 16" clavical to belly button

I don't want to invest the cash in a non-returnable Large setup and have it be too big. I'm thinking of cutting out pieces of cardboard in M and L sizes, but having never worn a plate carrier and not having x-ray vision to see where my lungs are means it will still be a bit of a guess. I'm also carrying some extra weight (mostly in my gut) that might be swaying my measurements bigger than I need.

Thanks,

Sam

10x12 is probably what you want. Jugular notch to below the diaphragm. Nipple to nipple. You’re on the edge of plate sizes. Plates are heavy. And if you get them oversized you’ll probably have mobility issues, problems shouldering your primary weapon, and gas out more quickly.

10x12 is probably what you want. Jugular notch to below the diaphragm. Nipple to nipple. You’re on the edge of plate sizes. Plates are heavy. And if you get them oversized you’ll probably have mobility issues, problems shouldering your primary weapon, and gas out more quickly.
    Thanks. That’s why I’m kinda on the fence, 10x12s are right in between SAPI M and L. Seems like most prefer to size down. And I’m not looking to spend an absolute fortune on super lightweight plates since I’m an average Joe, so smaller is more advantageous for saving weight on more budget friendly plates.

Swimmers or shooters cut will keep you more mobile and be more comfortable shouldering the rifle. Or atleast a swimmers up front. Then a SAPI in the rear

Your about my size i use a medium for work and it perfect, the only thing you need covered is your vitals, anything past that your gonna be in a bomb suit.

Light and mobile wins the race. You could also go with some kelvar type kit for small arms.

I'm 6'3", 205lbs, 44"chest and I run the medium Crye JCP (Jumpable Plate Carrier) for the last couple of years and it fits well.

I'm similar to your measurements and run 10"x12" shooters cut front and rear in a Shellback Banshee or my old work Eagle Rhodesian Recon Vest.

I'm kicking myself for being late to the game in terms of preparedness considering the political climate, but I'm looking at plate carriers and sizing. If I stick with SAPI plates sizes, would you recommend I go to a Medium or a Large? Most stuff I read on arfcom and reddit trends to always go smaller (even saw a 6'9" dude with Medium plates LOL), but I'm wondering based on my measurements if a Large wouldn't be optimal?

- 6'0"
    - 210 lbs (ideal weight for me is more like 190-200)
    - 43" chest
    - 11" nipple to nipple (this is center to center, if that matters. edge-to-edge would be more like 10")
    - 16" clavical to belly button

I don't want to invest the cash in a non-returnable Large setup and have it be too big. I'm thinking of cutting out pieces of cardboard in M and L sizes, but having never worn a plate carrier and not having x-ray vision to see where my lungs are means it will still be a bit of a guess. I'm also carrying some extra weight (mostly in my gut) that might be swaying my measurements bigger than I need.

Thanks,

Sam
    I am in the same bought what brands are you looking at?

6’0, 230lbs and I wear a medium sapi or large swimmers. Large sapi gets in the way of full presentation with pistol.
    Just try to buy the “best” plate your budget will allow, and then buy a carrier to fit that plate.

OP,
    JMHO so take it for what it is. As you are in the middle of a medium versus large plate, you might consider going with the larger plate. Granted, the routine argument is that you need to be as light as possible but you have to wonder just how these plate kits are being deployed. Your not humping gear from one end of Iraq to the other. Your not wearing this carrier every day for months at a time while carrying a lot of other gear (been there and done that) so the extra inch or two of protection may be worth the extra pound or so when it comes to your real-world application. You might wear it for an afternoon at the range or in the unlikely event of a local riot in your neighborhood, you might have it on for a few hours for your protection. As you noted, you are 10-20 pounds over your normal weight so if you can move around just fine now, putting on a heavier plate system and losing 10 pounds of body weight should not affect you.

I wear 11"x14" Ultra-light SAPI in a IIIa level Tac vest and it is very comfortable and can be worn all day if need be without issues. I, like others here, fall into the 6' 230 range but I have a 54" chest/37" waist measurement so I can get by with the larger plates. Mine is the one shown below but I have it in Coyote. The downside for some on this particular vest may be the price at 700 dollars. When compared to a regular plate carrier for 100-150, this may not be an option. Again, there are many plate carrier styles and as noted above, figure out what plate size you want before you purchase the carrier as many plate pockets are made to the size of the plate.

ProMAX-Tactical-MULTICAM-Front.jpg

ProMAX-Tactical-MULTICAM-Back.jpg

ProMAX-Tactical-MULTICAM-Side.jpg

Last edited:
    6’0, 230lbs and I wear a medium sapi or large swimmers. Large sapi gets in the way of full presentation with pistol.
    Just try to buy the “best” plate your budget will allow, and then buy a carrier to fit that plate.
    I made a cardboard cutout with M and L sapi size and found that the L interfered a bit with my arms and shoulders when doing a pistol draw.

I wonder if I want that little bit more of coverage if a L swimmers would be better like you mentioned. Only problem is it seems to limit plate-specific carriers like the JPC 2.0 which isn’t in stock anywhere in the swimmers cut.

I made a cardboard cutout with M and L sapi size and found that the L interfered a bit with my arms and shoulders when doing a pistol draw.

I wonder if I want that little bit more of coverage if a L swimmers would be better like you mentioned. Only problem is it seems to limit plate-specific carriers like the JPC 2.0 which isn’t in stock anywhere in the swimmers cut.

The large swimmers plates are actually something like 9.7 x 11.7, so not any bigger than the medium sapi. When it comes to carriers made for swimmers cut plates, you're limited to the Crye stuff or Beez Combat System's Aptum carrier, which I have not used. There may be other swimmer cut carriers but that's all I can think of off the top of my head. You can probably stuff large swimmers in most medium sapi carriers, for what it's worth, I know a guy that has large swimmers in a Crye JPC medium and he said they fit great, your mileage may vary and I'd test fit if possible before buying. I'd email Crye about their JPC or Airlite SPC swimmer's cut availability, or check ebay.

Reactions: samb300
    I'm similar in size. 6'3", 46" chest. Working on losing weight but my goal is 220lbs. When people refer to measuring nipple to nipple, do they mean the plate covering the entire nipple or just edge to edge of the nipples? I have 10 x 12 plates but the width restricts a bit of movement. Would M size SAPI be more ideal for me?

11" Nipple to Nipple means XL plate.

People running these ultra-small plates must plan on never getting shot.

I'm an inch taller than you and 15lbs lighter & I run large SAPIs with my duty belt. Most guys don't wear them high enough, which is where the belt issue comes in. To of the plate should be at or slightly above your sternal notch. If I was running a slicker belt I could probably get away with an XL.