• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PLease educate me on McMillan A5

gau17

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 20, 2009
Valencia
I'm looking to get a A5 for my factory remington 700 PSS 308.

1. If I get the stock bedded for my current cofig, once it's time to change out the barrel and I select a different barrel profile, can I just get the stock re-bedded?

2. Can anyone recommend a smith in L.A. Ca that can do the bedding?

3. I know wait times can sometimes be 6-9 months. Where can I order it the fastest?

Re: PLease educate me on McMillan A5

I don't know about the first two, but try jwprecision.ca to get a stock faster.

There lead time has actually come down a bit give them a call and check what they are currently running

Im happy to hear the lead time has come down.It sucks waiting for an A5,It took me 5 months last time i got one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TalkingBush</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also don't overlook the Manner's T4A. I'm taking that route over McMillan. </div></div>

Lol, im impatient.

I love my A5! As far as bedding, you don't bed the barrel. If you switch to a heavier barrel you just wrap sandpaper around a dowell and sand the barrel channel so it doesn't touch the barrel. Bedding generally only goes a couple inches in front of the lug.

Agreed about JWPrecision. Also there will be another along anyday here as they always pop up.

Yes they can be re-bedded pretty easily by a good smith or good tinkerer. Robert Gradous took mine that was for a 700 SA w/varmit profile and made a Surgeon RSR w/Krieger HVR profile look perfect. He just does great work period.

The A5 is a great stock for me and plenty of others. I would like to try a Manners, but what I have works so well that my next toy will more than likely have the same stock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">2. Can anyone recommend a smith in L.A. Ca that can do the bedding?</div></div>

I'm in S. Cal if you like give me a call I would be happy to bed your rifle... 310-275-8797

<span style="font-weight: bold">Mike
Tac Ops</span>

Most of JW stocks are sniper fill... Just an FYI. I prefer a much lighter stock.

Currently using Manners T4As with 90% carbon.

A little weight never hurt anyone... C'mon... Man-up!

Just kiddin'!

I got mine from JW too. Had it 4 days after I paid for it!

I'm in process of getting a second A5. This is my favorite stock by far. They are also fairly easy to bed yourself if you have any DIY in you. Search online there are a lot of tutorials. JW is also a great guy to talk to. Haven't bought anything from him yet, but he has always been patient will all of my questions.

If Mike R is happy to bed your rifle, I would be calling him. You ain't gonna get any better, especially if u want it done right and meticulously and live in the LA area.

Another option for bedding if you need one is a guy named Randy who lives in Glendora.

He does nice work as well.

Here's a link.

R&D Precision

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Black Ops</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">2. Can anyone recommend a smith in L.A. Ca that can do the bedding?</div></div>

I'm in S. Cal if you like give me a call I would be happy to bed your rifle... 310-275-8797

<span style="font-weight: bold">Mike
Tac Ops</span> </div></div>

Go with Mike, he can build you the gun of your dreams.

Also when asking about stocks, alot of fanboy's will tell you to one brand has a long ass wait time when they really dont, just so you buy the brand they support, all you have to do is call and ask, I had my A4 in two months.....

Bottom line is get behind all the options and pick what's best for you..
Nothing against manners as they will have an order from me for a T2 one day, just to many fanboy's on this site lately.....