• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Please, for the love of God, stop...

Heronion

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 22, 2010
Houghton, Michigan
...using "AxBxC" to describe a scope with minimum magnification A, maximum magnification B, and objective diameter C.

I'm the farthest thing from an expert, but this has pissed me off so much over the years that I need to vent.

It's not a 3x9x40 or a 3x9-40. It's a 3-9x40.

Uuuuugh....

Re: Please, for the love of God, stop...

When you're right, you're right.

Sad to say, I've done it too!

Yeah...it's three TO nine BY 40.

Everyone was thinking it but YOU said it.

Every time i see the 3x9x40 i think of dimensions and wonder what they are measuring.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bpnelson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...using "AxBxC" to describe a scope with minimum magnification A, maximum magnification B, and objective diameter C.

I'm the farthest thing from an expert, but this has pissed me off so much over the years that I need to vent.

Uuuuugh.... </div></div>

That's your contribution to the knowledge base? C'mon man, you can give us more than that, can't you?
grin.gif

It's a bit confusing when some people don't put the diameter in it, instead they say it's a 6x24 which of course is quite different than 6-24x50.

I'm guilty of it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sami</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's a bit confusing when some people don't put the diameter in it, instead they say it's a 6x24 which of course is quite different than 6-24x50. </div></div>

A little like joining two complete sentences with a comma, rather than seperating them with a period. Is this what we're resorting to?

smirk.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JFComfort</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm guilty of it. </div></div>

Wasn't I JUST giving you a hard time about this? lol

I was thinking more along the lines of extreme OCD. Damn get over it.

hahaha, it bothers me when people do that too but I have probably done that once or twice before.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bpnelson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...using "AxBxC" to describe a scope with minimum magnification A, maximum magnification B, and objective diameter C.

Uuuuugh.... </div></div>

Someone's cryin' Lord...kumbaya...

WOW I thought saving the whales, world peace, or maybe even nuclear disarmament, maybe even hunger in the world, I need to re-think my priorities. For years really, holy heart attack.

Take a Midol, you'll feel better in the morning

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Triad</div><div class="ubbcode-body">>3 <9x40?</div></div>

LMAO

No crap!!! Pisses me off too....

Also saying Savorsky for Swarovski!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KPK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No crap!!! Pisses me off too....

Also saying Savorsky for Swarovski!</div></div>

what about smith & bender

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DWood</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bpnelson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...using "AxBxC" to describe a scope with minimum magnification A, maximum magnification B, and objective diameter C.

Uuuuugh.... </div></div>

That's your contribution to the knowledge base? C'mon man, you can give us more than that, can't you?
grin.gif
</div></div>

He did teach us how to bend the hell out of a Savage action and straighten it back.
Sorry BP I couldn't resist as that is one of my all time favorite threads.

Uuuuugh.... </div></div>
Do I notice it when others type it wrong? Yes. Do I let it get to me? No. Don't sweat the small stuff.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FLIGHT762</div><div class="ubbcode-body">May as well add "Reticule". </div></div>
Nucular?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lazy21</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KPK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No crap!!! Pisses me off too....

Also saying Savorsky for Swarovski!</div></div>

what about smith & bender </div></div>

Boom! Exactly!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FLIGHT762</div><div class="ubbcode-body">May as well add "Reticule". </div></div>

LOL

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BrettSass844</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DWood</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bpnelson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...using "AxBxC" to describe a scope with minimum magnification A, maximum magnification B, and objective diameter C.

Uuuuugh.... </div></div>

grin.gif
</div></div>

He did teach us how to bend the hell out of a Savage action and straighten it back.
Sorry BP I couldn't resist as that is one of my all time favorite threads. </div></div>

I am truly a font of wisdom. You mere mortals should consider yourselves blessed that my knowledge may shine upon you.

Muzzle break must send him into quite a tizzy.

Funny thing about the bent Savage action, for all the doom and gloom posts it seems to have worked out quite well.

But let that farging bastage post he put a 3x9x40 scope on it and it is the rack for him!

Some things up with which we shall not put!

That's funny, everytime I see someone write about a 3x9 scope It bothers me too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: notquiteright</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Muzzle break must send him into quite a tizzy.

Funny thing about the bent Savage action, for all the doom and gloom posts it seems to have worked out quite well.

But let that farging bastage post he put a 3x9x40 scope on it and it is the rack for him!

Some things up with which we shall not put! </div></div>

She still holds 1/2 moa out to 300 when I'm lucid.

What's wrong with a 3x9 scope?

_MEL5373.jpg

Also, while people are bringing it up, reticule is a perfectly legitimate variant of reticle, and is recognized by the dictionary as such.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kombar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What's wrong with a 3x9 scope?

_MEL5373.jpg

Also, while people are bringing it up, reticule is a perfectly legitimate variant of reticle, and is recognized by the dictionary as such. </div></div>LOL...so much for that.

same thing bugs me when it comes to tire sizes. 305/45/22 or 305-45-22

Some terms I have heard where I work:

"Target Turniquets"

"Recticle"

"Mattie Finish"

"Military Dot Recticle"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chaser_2332</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This thread made me go check my for sale ad......I passed! </div></div>
You changed it, don't lie!!!!!

Pisses me off too... I think threads like this one are a good thing. Some of us need a good place to vent about the little things that make us want to scream
grin.gif
They're also educational for some people
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sami</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FLIGHT762</div><div class="ubbcode-body">May as well add "Reticule". </div></div>
Nucular? </div></div>

I just want to know what rifle Sami has that needs "nucular" or nuclear to describe it. That must be a bad SOB!
wink.gif

Can it be fired shoulder mounted or do you need some kind of vehicle mount?
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DWood</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sami</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FLIGHT762</div><div class="ubbcode-body">May as well add "Reticule". </div></div>
Nucular? </div></div>

I just want to know what rifle Sami has that needs "nucular" or nuclear to describe it. That must be a bad SOB!
wink.gif

Can it be fired shoulder mounted or do you need some kind of vehicle mount?
laugh.gif
</div></div>

It's a bad one but lets not tell Georgie Boy about it, he'll come after me. Oh wait, he's retired, maybe it's ok now.

Don't look in the WTB section, this eye sore is in there.

"Wtb leuPold vx2 3x940 or the like "

How bout:

Remington 700PSS
vs
Remington 700P
Hmm if one wants to get technical the PSS hasn't been made for sometime. Or at least it hasn't be designated as such in awhile.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Northland</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't look in the WTB section, this eye sore is in there.

"Wtb leuPold vx2 3x940 or the like " </div></div>
Thanks for the hint, I just replaced a VXII 3x940 with a Vortex Viper PPS 4x1650 (military radical rectangle).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Triad</div><div class="ubbcode-body">>3 <9x40? </div></div>

so, that's a 4x5x6x7x8x40?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DWood</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sami</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's a bit confusing when some people don't put the diameter in it, instead they say it's a 6x24 which of course is quite different than 6-24x50. </div></div>

<span style="color: #FF0000">A little like joining two complete sentences with a comma</span>, rather than seperating them with a period. Is this what we're resorting to?

smirk.gif
</div></div>

Sentence fragments are a lot harder to see than comma splices.
We could probably file that one under the "understood subject" rule and get away with it.
grin.gif

None of us are perfect. We notice (and tolerate) things at different levels.

"Turrents" is one of my favorites.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fw707</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DWood</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
<span style="color: #FF0000">A little like joining two complete sentences with a comma</span>, rather than seperating them with a period. Is this what we're resorting to?

smirk.gif
</div></div>

Sentence fragments are a lot harder to see than comma splices.
We could probably file that one under the "understood subject" rule and get away with it.
grin.gif

None of us are perfect. We notice (and tolerate) things at different levels.

"Turrents" is one of my favorites. </div></div>

Aha, my point exactly. The thread was started as a "rant" about a recurring practice that is noticed but could be tolerated. We all post sentence fragments and they rarely get called out. I think the thread turned out to be "humerous" and I have enjoyed it. I agree that turrents is a good one.

The other day a repairman fixed our A/C at my fire station. he said it was good to go since it "crunk" when he started it. Love that one. Crunk!!
laugh.gif

Beer can wide, tuna can long.

........wait, that's something else.