• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Please, for the love of God, stop...

Re: Please, for the love of God, stop...

Negative, Ghostrider. Dates are to be in the following format.

27JUL11

All other methods are not the Marine Corps way, and hence incorrect. Correct yourself; do it now.

-------------

Departmental assistant at work continually uses 'insure' instead of 'ensure' as in, "Supervisors please insure your workers are aware of the new policy." Bugs me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GasLight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what should I call my new

5x20x50?

</div></div>

Looks like 5000 magnification scope to me. The actual Hubble, mounted on your rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jwp475</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

ClipVSMagazine.gif
</div></div>

"magzines" I love that the correction gif has a typo.
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RobG</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WhiskyTangoFoxtrot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"If I do my part"

If I hear that again I will ban myself </div></div>

"Nuff said" is a 100 times worse. </div></div>

What about "operated flawlessly"?

Saying "If I hear that again" when referring to what one is reading on the internet?
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hink</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Negative, Ghostrider. Dates are to be in the following format.

27JUL11

All other methods are not the Marine Corps way, and hence incorrect. Correct yourself; do it now.</div></div>

Why do I feel like I just got knife handed?

You Guys really crack me up!

To quote from 'Pulp Fiction' "English motherfucker, do you speak it"
Well, clearly not. Y'all speak AMERICAN, it's a dialect of English.

But since we're on the the subject of pet peeves, here's mine;

Bullet Heads

Now, that's not the Ants we're talking about, but the actual projectile which comes out of the muzzle of the rifle. I see it a lot in England, and I really REALLY hate it! It's just IGNORANCE of the worst kind. People too lazy to learn, or use the correct terminology.
I could write reams about the various parts of a bullet, but AIN'T NONE OF THEM THE HEAD!!

Sorry, rant off now.

N

Effect and Affect. As an example (with apologies to LL), "The effect of spin drift may affect your POI."
wink.gif

3x9x40, When I read this I thought your panties were too tight!

But then again when I read, "if I do my part" or when someone uses the word "Boolits", I believe they should be tazed on the spot!! Right along with those people who insist on writing a check at the cash register.

ti ti ti DONT TAZE ME BRO!!!!!

I guess we all have those things which instantly piss us off. Now I can add another. Thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GasLight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what should I call my new

5x20x50?

</div></div>

I hate the statement. "It's a nice piece of kit".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CharlieTN</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jwp475</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

ClipVSMagazine.gif
</div></div>

grin.gif

</div></div>

I love this clip/magazine stuff. I reckon some folks should read Merriam Webster dictionary sometime. Especially the second part of line 2.

2clipnoun

Definition of CLIP
1: any of various devices that grip, clasp, or hook
2: a device to hold cartridges for charging the magazines of some rifles; also : <span style="color: #FF0000">a magazine from which ammunition is fed into the chamber of a firearm </span>3: a piece of jewelry held in position by a clip

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cds7221</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hink</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Negative, Ghostrider. Dates are to be in the following format.

27JUL11

All other methods are not the Marine Corps way, and hence incorrect. Correct yourself; do it now.</div></div>

Why do I feel like I just got knife handed? </div></div>

I actually laughed out loud at this.
smile.gif
You'll get along just fine around here.

--------------------------------

Has anyone ever met a person who just tried soooooo hard to fit in, and failed?
"We can get meet tomorrow at zero-seven-thirty at night."

My pet peeve is when someone can't admit they were doing it the wrong way and blames the gun......
The Af can't Figure out how they want dates writen every form seems to be different.
28 jul 11
Jul 28 2011
08/28/11

"Help me find a good scope that tracks great and has great glass for under $200"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BBsteel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"Help me find a good scope that tracks great and has great glass for under $200" </div></div>

Everyone knows that BSA already accomplished this a long time ago.

Why do some members have "Remmies", "Winnies", "Leupies", but NEVER have a "Nightie"?

"I've got a Nightie 5.5-22x50 on my Winnie Sharpshooter."

I don't understand the need to shorten the the manufacturers name. Maybe it's a fad and I'm just old...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: calling4life</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I hate people who eat loudly, they need to be erased. </div></div>

I agree with this.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kombar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What's wrong with a 3x9 scope?

_MEL5373.jpg

Also, while people are bringing it up, reticule is a perfectly legitimate variant of reticle, and is recognized by the dictionary as such. </div></div>

So is Nucular. That doesn't make it correct, it's fookin lazy and further dumbing down of society.
laugh.gif
Ultimately I don't let it bother me, otherwise I'd have to disconnect from the internet.

While we're having fun...I'll add Vias. As in a "Vias brake".
It's VAIS- pronounced "Vice" not "Vee-us". George Vais is Greek not Hispanic.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _Shay_ ©</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: calling4life</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I hate people who eat loudly, they need to be erased. </div></div>

I agree with this. </div></div>

I had an ex gf who absolutely hated hearing people chew. Drove her insane! Never bothered me much though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Meat Hunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CharlieTN</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jwp475</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

ClipVSMagazine.gif
</div></div>

grin.gif

</div></div>

I love this clip/magazine stuff. I reckon some folks should read Merriam Webster dictionary sometime. Especially the second part of line 2.

2clipnoun

Definition of CLIP
2: a device to hold cartridges for charging the magazines of some rifles; also : <span style="color: #FF0000">a magazine from which ammunition is fed into the chamber of a firearm </span>3: a piece of jewelry held in position by a clip
</div></div>

Who writes the dictionary? I'm sure they are a bunch of tactical gurus right?
grin.gif
It's like when people keep saying we are fighting 2 wars.
crazy.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CH53Driver</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Meat Hunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CharlieTN</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jwp475</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

ClipVSMagazine.gif
</div></div>

grin.gif

</div></div>

2clipnoun

Definition of CLIP
</div></div>

Who writes the dictionary? I'm sure they are a bunch of tactical gurus right?
grin.gif
It's like when people keep saying we are fighting 2 wars.
crazy.gif
</div></div>

I don't know exactly who writes the Webster dictionary but I know they do it for a living. I'll take their definition of a word over some anal internet knowitall.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Michael Riley</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _Shay_ ©</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: calling4life</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I hate people who eat loudly, they need to be erased. </div></div>

I agree with this. </div></div>

I had an ex gf who absolutely hated hearing people chew. Drove her insane! Never bothered me much though. </div></div>

That is worth complaining about. Poor table manners drive me crazy. My parents would smack me at the dinner table for not chewing with my mouth closed. Today I can not stand it one bit. I am thankful they smacked that habit out of me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sami</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Basher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">NO.

The month comes FIRST, get it right!!!
laugh.gif
</div></div>
You Americans always have everything backwards!
whistle.gif
</div></div>

+1

And seem to have a hate for the letter U

Colour, not color..
wink.gif

...and the letter "I"

You....Aluminium

Me.... Aluminum

Or is it just a pronunciation difference?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">break vs. brake....

just to stir the pot.......
smile.gif
</div></div>

I thought we had this cleared up?

What about people who call the AR15/AR10 receiver extension a buffer tube does that piss anyone off?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tactical_Tom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What about people who call the AR15/AR10 receiver extension a buffer tube does that piss anyone off? </div></div>

Semantics.

A member above wrote "...to lazy to learn...." You didn't really do that, right?

Here's one everyone does, and its wrong: AM and PM. To be sure, those mean anti-meridian, and post-meridian. When it's 12 midnight, and 12 noon the time is neither anti, nor post. <span style="color: #000099">The time is 12 midnight, or 12 noon, not 12 AM, or 12 PM.</span>

Apostrophe's

....in the wrong place. They designate belonging to, as in "Tim's rifle" NOT a plural, as in "Tim has several rifle's". They also indicate missing letters in a contraction, such as "don't" for "do not" or "they've" for "they have".

Former English major, with an English teacher grandmother. I'm not going to go into break/brake, loose/lose, their/they're/there, because they've already come up. To/too, turrents, military dot.
One that bugs me more, for some reason, is the use of reticule (a woman's small bag or purse, usually in the form of a pouch with a drawstring and made of net, beading, brocade, etc.) vs. reticle (a grid or pattern placed in the eyepiece of an optical instrument, used to establish scale or position).

As noted above, if we're going to talk about precision rifles, terminology is important. If we have to guess what you mean based on context, it's not that precise.

1911fan

I never noticed the turrents issue until recently.

Another Hide member showed me this video where a guy says "turrents" and I thought it was pretty fucking hilarious.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6zLgttlScrg&feature=youtube_gdata_player"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6zLgttlScrg&feature=youtube_gdata_player" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>