• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Please Help Me Choose a 1-4X Scope

Doug Deaton

Private
Minuteman
Jun 30, 2011
Texas (DFW)
I am writing to ask for advice on an impending scope purchase. I have already used the search function on this and a few other websites but am hoping to receive some more specific information based on the hands-on experiences of people in this forum.

Please help me choose a variable 1-4X scope for use on 5.56 AR-type rifles with 16” and 18” barrels. This optic will be used primarily for competition and hunting. The vast majority of shots will be taken from 5 to 400 yards. Though not likely, there is a slight possibility that it will be used for duty purposes in the future.
I’ve been using this cheap Millet scope and it has served me well (3rd in the 2011 Pecos Run N Gun & 1st in the 2010 Tiger Valley 4-Man Tactical Match) but at the end of the day, it’s a cheap Chinese optic that has some limitations. It’s time to upgrade. My budget is $800 with an absolute max of $900. As much as I would love to buy the S&B Short Dot or a Leupold CQBSS, it’s just not going to happen for me.

Whatever scope I go with, it needs to be reliable and repeatable. While I have no intention of abusing it or conducting some kind of “torture test,” it should hold zero after hundreds of rounds, multiple adjustments, minor jarring, and accidental short falls to the ground. The glass should be of relatively good quality for this budget window and the reticle should not be too “busy.” I strongly prefer to have some kind of illuminated dot or circle for rapid engagement at low power. A 1-6 is certainly not out of the question but I’d rather not be a beta tester for a new product and I doubt a 1-6 would work for my budget anyway.

I am considering the following:

Burris Xtreme Tactical XTR 1-4x 24mm
Leupold Mark 4 Mid Range Tactical M2 1.5-5x 20mm
Leupold Tactical VX-R Patrol
Vortex 1-4x24 Viper PST
Trijicon 1-4X24 AccuPoint with the German#4 Reticle w/ dot
SWFA SS 1-4x24 Tactical with the circle/MIL-scale reticle

Did I miss anything? Does anyone have real-world experience with any of these scopes? Tell me what you like and why. Tell me about the problems and painted-over rust around the wheel wells too. If you have suggestions for any other models or any information about the above listed options, I would truly appreciate any advice you can offer. Thank you.

Doug

Re: Please Help Me Choose a 1-4X Scope

I have the Vortex you mention and I really like it. I have used it for engaging man sized target out to beyond the 1000 yard mark and it has worked. While not the ideal optic for beyond 800 yards it will work. The glass is nice, the internals are solid, and the reticle is fictional.

im interested to see what scope people recommend.. i am also looking for a 1-4 scope.. i have looked thru the burris and the trijicon, and i must say the accupoint was amazing.. the light transition was awesome.. i just dont know if I can personally commit that much money in a 1-4 scope.. i have always had aimpoints, so i might end up going that route.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KNIGHT11B4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Check out the USO 1-4, also available in Duofocal, a very very nice feature.

http://www.usoptics.com/optics.html?uso_lander_power=100</div></div>

I 2nd this, but it is out of his price range....
buy once, cry once though

I would not recommend the XTR, I have one, it is good glass but the illumination is a joke.

Trijicon is a great scope, but the reticle can be tricky for hold overs depending how far out you are going. The illumination is great and really fast for CQB on 1X.

Vortex is also a nice scope but the reticle can be busy for some.

For a game gun I'd go with the Vortex. For a work gun I'd go Trijicon.

i own both a Lupy MRT 1.5-5 and a USO 1-4 SN4

i'd recommend EITHER, just depending on how much you wanna spend. The SN4 is built like a tank, but that also means it weighs at least double what the MRT does, which sorta sucks on a light carbine, for me.

I prefer the forgiving eyebox of the MRT, and the SPR reticle in the MRT over the dohnut dot in the SN4, but thats subjective.

in a nutshell, if you plan on beating the piss out of it, get a USO

otherwise, save a few bucks and get the MRT

My favorite low power optic is a USO SN4 with the circle chevron reticle. Like was said earlier, built like a tank, good glass, and its fast on target.

I'm anxiously awaiting the Leupold Mark 6 or even the VX-6. That may be the best route.

the burris xtr is pretty sweet. i'm trying out a meopta 1-4, so far it's sweet. i would do a true 1x, even if you give up a little on the high end.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eleaf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">SS 1-4x with donut reticle

Incredible scope at a GREAT price.</div></div>

+ 1

I got a T reticle and really like it.

Aron-

Burris XTR here. I like it. Good glass. The reticle is good for fast acquisition at short range, but also able to be used for precise long range shooting off the bench. That's why I chose the Burris over the Trijicon.

I'm not sure why someone thinks the illumination is a joke. Mine works well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eleaf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">SS 1-4x with donut reticle

Incredible scope at a GREAT price.</div></div>

If you decide to order this SWFA SS 1-4x24 Tactical 30mm riflescope online at SWFA's website, then please PM me for a coupon code to save on your order!

Another +1 for the Leupold MRT 1.5-5. Really pleased with mine. My only gripes about it are how easy it is to rub against the illumination control and accidentally turn it up/down/on/off, and MOA knobs for a MIL reticle (but it does have BDC turrets that you can get to match your load).

I have the Viper and have been very pleased with it. Great glass and turrets. It shot the box test perfectly and the illumination is great. I was however impressed by the SS. A friend has the 1-4 and I liked it a lot, namely the first focal plane part. I don't think it's super important in a 1-4 however,l because your POA POI when your CQB so it's not necessary for 1 or 2x, but the reticle seemed larger and more user-friendly on the SS than the vortex. That being said I like the S&B on my duty EBR a little more than both.
For around 400 go with Vortex
For around 600 go with SS
And give NIghtforce a look as well.