• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Please help me make a decision!

Colo77bronco

Private
Minuteman
Jul 25, 2011
Colorado
Hi all. I am new to posting but I have been reading on this board for a long time. I am really struggling with which caliber rifle to buy next. I have been drooling over the GAP and Surgeon rifles here and I must have one.

I would choose a .308 but I already have a serviceable rifle (not near the precision of the rifles on this board) in that caliber and SCAR 17s that I love to shoot.

If I am going to spend $3500-$5000 I want it to be as versatile as possible. I have an 800 yard pasture near my house that I can shoot in, and a spot across a small canyon that is about 1100 yards. I also want to use it for hunting dear, buffalo and elk. Obviously more rounds will be spent target shooting than hunting but I want it for both applications.

For $5000 plus after optics is that asking too much?

I am stuck between the .260 remington and .300 win mag. I have read all about the ballistic properties of both and if I weren't wanting to use it for hunting the .260 would win hands down. The .260 would be easier to shoot but may be a little weak with the larger game. The .300 win mag seems to have good ballistics but I have been scared by people who say that shooting their .300 magnums is not fun due to recoil. As I won't be competing, a muzzle break will be used so it might not be that bad. I am a pretty strong guy can handle some recoil. I have shot 250+ rounds in an hour or two with my SCAR in .308 and not felt a thing. I have my grandfathers old lever action in .300 Savage and I can say I wouldn't want to shoot that thing all day several times a month. It obviously has a steel but plate with no padding and kicks pretty good.

I respect the opinions of those on this board and would like your opinions on which of these two calibers will be the most fun to shoot and take hunting occasionally.

Lastly, it seems there are a lot of .260's available for resale here and of course .308's, but rarely .300 win mags. This leads me to believe not as many people want or build them so there must be something bad about them. I do know one former Navy Seal with his sniper badge (did the Marine Course and Quantico) and his personal sniper rig for anything not requiring a .50 cal was a .300 win mag he had built by off of his service rifle's rem 700 long action. He absolutely loved it.

Sorry for the long winded message and thanks for your opinions.

Re: Please help me make a decision!

Nothing at all wrong with a 300WM. Got one and love it. I am sure not as many are built as .260s or .308s but it doesn't mean there is anything wrong with them. Just more specific in their need. With a brake on it the recoil will be very manigable and ballistics are excellent.

Do you reload?

I don't but I have several friends who do and would be willing to help work up loads.

+1 on the .300 Win Mag, usually very easy to find ammo if your in a pinch. Recoil is not that bad, and like Rob said with a brake its a big baby to shoot.
Ive got 2 and building a third....

Derrick

Its not a custom by any means but one of my friends has the remington 5r in 300wm. Its a great gun to shoot he has a brake installed on it. Just throwing that out there.

I have a .260, .308, and a 300WWM.
Love them all. Thay all shot well out to 1000Yrds.
But, when I want to go long.....It's the TRG (300WM)
It has a factory brake, kicks like my .260rem.
They all are great cals. with good BC. and they all have thier
place.

But, The 300WM is a fine all-around choice, with great BC. and loads of factory Match Ammo.

But, in the end...its up to you, and your needs. What fits them best!

Good Luck!!

LOBO 151

Do the 300WM. I'd like to have one myself. If you like anything more exotic you may look at the 7 SAUM. I'm building one now for long range hunting primarily...

If you want just one versatile bolt gun, for target shooting, comps and hunting, get a 30-06: .308 match performance all day long, and almost .300WM power with the heavies when you need it.

I would put it in a long action AICS.

FIRST I'd ask how much are you going to be shooting this rifle???? 2-400 rounds a year, 1000? And how far do you want to shoot an elk with this rifle. If it's closer to 1000 than 500 go with the 300 Win mag, but then plan on building a 260 (I'd look at the 284 Winchester) or something similar to shoot more often. Really, a good 284 Win might be the ticket...longer barrel life, great performance, and enough energy for the bigger stuff.

I own a .300WM and love it, it's a heavy rifle but I don't have a break on it so after a long day of shooting I'm a little sore.

I would recomend one with out hesitation for some one looking for the extra power to either go out past 1400yds or drop large game at farther ranges.

But it is not an every day rifle IMO.

It's over kill for target shooting under 1000yds and it's quite a bit more expensive to shoot than other calibers that would do just fine at closer ranges.

Like said above you might want to look at something in 7mm.

They have very good balistics, less recoil than simular powder charger in a .30cal and they still pack quite a punch for knock down on large game.

No matter what you choose I'm sure you will be happy with your rifle.

Thanks for all of the input guys. I am thinking the .300 win mag with the barrel threaded for a muzzle break at the range and capped without the break for hunting is going to be the ticket. Thinking Surgeon action, kreiger 24" barrel, probably a manners stock, surgeon bottom metal. Not gonna be cheap.

Sounds like it will be pretty heavy too! Go with a 26" barrel and a 3" straight shank at the chamber, with the caliber choice you'll get more out of it, and if it's too long it can always be cut back OR when you shoot the throat out, you could cut the threads off and rechamber and you'll have another 1000-1500 round life left on it.

The main thing you will notice is the cost. If you wanted to get into reloading, brass and powder for the 300 will add up a lot faster than the 260. If you dont reload you will be limited on match ammo for the 260.
I reload for both and am not a big guy(6'1" 180 lbs), so to tame the recoil on my 300 i put an MTU contour on my Weatherby Mark V. I had this built with the help of my dad about 8 years ago. It doesn't kick at all and is about a 3/8 MOA rifle. Love it but not the cost of components.
I like the 260 and for what it can do, it is my favorite caliber. The last time I went elk hunting my luck wasn't so great but one of the guys in our camp got a 680 lbs elk with a 260 at around 400 yards.
Point being if you are worried about power then dont, any 'ethical' hunting range a 260 has enough power. If you go with the 300WM, recoil easy to tame and manage. Both are great and are my two personal favorite go to cartridges. I tend to lean towards the 260 a little more as its a little cheaper to shoot and it wont give me a headache if i shoot more than 100 rounds the same day from the noise. Hope this helps.
wink.gif

I have always been a 300 fan and have hunted with one since I was 16. They're hammers for sure and I don't feel the recoil is unmanageable breaked on even a sporter model or unbreaked on a sendero weight or heavier rifle. Ammo is easy to find.
I also have a GAP 7wsm and reload with Berger 180 vld's. I experimented in Texas this last hunting season with the efficacy of the round. Head shots, lung shots and high shoulder shots all produced excellent results. This round is a laser and very effective on game. Skyking has a video at 2k posted around here somewhere. It is a barrel burner, but I wouldn't rule it out.

Forgot to mention, I also used the 300 win in the same shots with 200grn accubonds, which were also reloads, and you would be hard pressed to decide which was which if the deer were laying side by side. The range was 300 yards and in. Haven't had the chance to compare any farther.

I have the 300WM as well. Just love it. I used a ehavy barrel (Krieger #9) and a Limbsaver to tame the recoil. I shoot without a muzzle brake, but do use a suppressor occasionally.

Handles real well w/out the suppressor

I've been shooting a .300 rsaum for several years now and absolutely love it.