• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Please help me settle on a scope for my 300blk.

cnl390

Private
Minuteman
Mar 19, 2013
San Antonio, TX
I cannot decide on the right optics for for me for my 300 AAC Blackout.
I have a Nikon P-300 in a La Rue LT-104 mount, and a Nightforce 2.5-10x24 w/NP-R2 reticle in a LaRue LT-104 and will get something else if need be.
With that said here is my shooting scenario. I will be shooting mostly Barnes 110 gr at about 2350 fps, hogs and deer, about 50/50 well lit and low light, and would like to be able to range & calculate holdover or use clicks (mainly when using sub-sonic ammo)..
What do you all think?
I know it is personal preference but I do need help and suggestions. I would prefer Nightforce but the 24mm just doesn't seem to be bright enough in low light.
I am even willing to trade and/or sell the above optics for something that would better suit my needs.
Thanks I really appreciate the help.

The 2.5-10 would be my pick but I also don't like the 24mm. People will pay a stupid amount of money for those things though. If you're not attached to it sell it for the 42mm version.

We've compared an NXS 24 and 42 objective at my house at night looking into low light area trying to pick out objects... The 24 seems to lose its brightness after 3x or so where the 42 can seem to get to 5x or more before it becomes noticeable to the point of the 24.

With all that said I would prefer a FFP scope using holdovers with subsonic ammo. You can always use half or quarter magnifications and be aware of it but don't want to be on 10x at night to take shots.

I would say it depends on your wallet. I have the P-300 on mine and it works just fine, even for the ones I launch out to 400 and beyond. For $170 it's worth it. Just get the quality mount.

Check out the 2.5-10x32 or 42 PST in FFP configuration. I normally wouldn't think much of needing FFP on low magnification but at night you are often shooting from in a dark area where you can't see your turrets to dial for a shot and can't see your magnification setting to know what magnification you're at.

I have had good luck with my IOR 2.5-10 tactical. Very good glass in this range. I found mine used on the forum for a very reasonable price.

This is a GREAT forum!!! I have received more good info in 2 hours than I got on another forum in 2 days.
On the Vortex web site I find the PST 2.5-10x32 but no 42. There is a PST 2.5-10x44 but it is not designated FFL.
Also I am not familiar with the IOR 2.5-10 tactical or the company that makes it. Could you give a little more info.
Thanks

IOR is produced in Romania. They have very good glass clarity for the price. What I like most about there products is the FFP MP-8 dot reticule. The center dot works great for me weather used in a hunting scenario or on paper.
I have had good luck with my optics from Vortex as well but still seem to go back to IOR for the reasons mentioned above.

This is a GREAT forum!!! I have received more good info in 2 hours than I got on another forum in 2 days.
On the Vortex web site I find the PST 2.5-10x32 but no 42. There is a PST 2.5-10x44 but it is not designated FFL.
Also I am not familiar with the IOR 2.5-10 tactical or the company that makes it. Could you give a little more info.
Thanks

There might only be a FFP version of the 32. 32 is the one I have used that was FFP so was guessing they made a 42 FFP as well but maybe not.

leupold varx-6 moa reticle you get zero stop and one custom bdc knob with it. awesome awesome scope and less than what your looking at price wise.

You all have given me some really good input, and it was really hard for me to make a choice. But I have just about decided on (and I might still be swayed) the Vortex PST 2.5-10x32 FFP. I now need to decide on a reticle and I will be good to go.

And I have a Nikon P-300 and a Nightforce 2.5-10x24 that I need to sell.

I'm not a huge fan of Leupold but they make a reticle that is specifically designed for both the supersonic and subsonic AAC rounds available including your Barnes 110 rounds. Check it out - Leupold Optics Mark 4 MR/T 1.5-5x20mm (30mm) M2 - | Leupold Optics

Click on the 300 AAC reticle image and you'll see that one side of the vertical lower stadia is designed for the supersonic round and the other side for the sub-sonic round, this allows you to shoot both and not have to fool with the reticle. Of course, it is a ballistic drop reticle and not MIL or MOA, but I think it is a pretty slick design.

Surprised no one has mentioned the SWFA SS 3-9. FFP and the mil-Quad reticle works great for holdovers (I shoot subs exclusively). Still, You couldn't go wrong with the Vortex either.

I have a PST 2.5-10x32 on my LMT MWS and it's great, but do you actually need that much top end magnification? The 300blk is a heavy round and drops quite a bit at distance, so it's best for relatively short distances. If you plan on keeping it inside 200m or so, you can save some weight and get a lighter, less powerful scope. The PST probably wouldn't make too much sense on a 10.5" SBR, for instance.

I have a PST 2.5-10x32 on my LMT MWS and it's great, but do you actually need that much top end magnification? The 300blk is a heavy round and drops quite a bit at distance, so it's best for relatively short distances. If you plan on keeping it inside 200m or so, you can save some weight and get a lighter, less powerful scope. The PST probably wouldn't make too much sense on a 10.5" SBR, for instance.

That's true, but the older I get, I feel I need (and really like) more magnification. I have a Nikon P-300 right now, and while the glass is super for the price and the BDC would be good for just one load. I want to be able to dial in or holdover for different bullet weights, both sub & super sonic. I could probably go with a 6x or 8x as long as it was mil/mil and FFP. It wouldn't even have to be variable.