• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Please help, SCOPE OR STOCK

whopper

Private
Minuteman
Mar 28, 2012
I am putting together a new Savage 10 FCP 5R .308. I want to put a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 or a Leupold Mark 4 LR/T 6.5-20X50 on top. I also want to put on a HS Precision stock and have it bedded. Funds are not allowing me to do a scope and stock.
Should I put a lesser scope, maybe a

vortex viper or Leuy 4.5-14 and the bedded stock,

or

would it be better to keep the accu-stock and go big with the optics. I can change the stock later on down the road.

This is primarily going to be a bench set up out to 1000

Re: Please help, SCOPE OR STOCK

Go with the higher end scope now and pick up the stock down the road. If you don't, you will just end up buying the higher end scope later.

Most likely you will end up wanting something different for the stock by the time you are ready anyway (not anything against the H-S, that is what I use now).

Thanks for the fast response. I like the price on the Viper PST, is that sufficent or should I bite the bullet and go for the Leuy 6.5-20x50 with mildot or tmr reticle

I have a Vortex Razor and love it (especially the warranty). The PST's are quite popular; however I have not looked through one. Wait for others that have looked through both to post so as to get an educated opinion.

It seems for the money the PST's are hard to beat, i have a 1-4 on one of my Ar's and love it.

When you have some funds for a stock i would bag the idea of an HS and go with a Manners or Mcmillan..Just my .2$

ive had 2 hs stocks and just havent been super impressed with either one. save up and by a mcmillan or manners, something a little better.

IMHO, the glass is a great place to start. You mention bench shooting out to 1000yds. If you are doing bench rest competition or F-class, you may want to invest in the glass that is clearest to you. For me, I have a NF NXS and Viper PST, and the NF is the clearer glass, YMMV. If just shooting steel from a bench, the PST is plenty clear for my eyes. Since you mention having the accustock, the glass may very well serve the better choice for starters so you can make sure you know exactly what you want in a stock as you spend more time behind your new rifle. As many folks on here would say, buy once cry once, so rather than compromising to get both the glass and the stock, you may find that you want to do the glass you want first and save up for the stock. Good luck!

Thanks DFOOSKING, I like your idea. I put an old scope on the rifle for now to break it in and to develop a load for it. I think I will start saving for my first Nightforce and a stock, maybe a Mac 5 or a Manners.

Absolutely get the scope first and start shooting it. If you need to, you can get an inexpensive stock for under $200 to get you by until you are able to buy the one you like. Buying a decent scope that's not quite what you want will result in a bigger financial hit when you go to sell it than the cost of a beater stock. If you're anything like me, you will eventually end up with the one you really want, regardless of any logical compromises you try to make along the way. I tried to save money on a scope by getting a USO ST-10 instead of the SN-3 I wanted, and now I just have a scope that I need to sell at a loss to help pay for the SN-3 that's arriving in two days.

If you are going to buy a 1000$pst of even more for the lupy, pick up a used bushnell 3-21 G2 here on the hide for like 1200$ sometimes cheaper. I just got a Weaver tactical and love it for 700$ new. If i had 4-500 extra id have got the Bushnell. JMO. Im now saving for a Mcrees chassis.

If I remember properly that's the model 19056.
.308 Winchester With 5-R Rifling- 24" Heavy Fluted & Threaded Barrel, Matte Blue Finish, Black H-S Precision Stock.
Find out more, it comes with HS stock around $1000.

I would go with quality glass first and not touch the stock until you have saved up again. Unless there is a time restraint on what your doing building is slow and building it right is always fun. It took me about eight months to build my 700 the way I wanted it but now she's a beauty!

If you have not ordered the rifle already, save up a little longer and buy the rifle you want, in the stock that you want.

There is both an HS precision model and a McMillan model.

That being said, the accu-stock is a pretty damn good stock as is.
It is a little thin in the wrist for my tastes, but that does not stop it from doing very well as is. Buy a triad tactical stock pack and call it good.

Spend that money on glass. Since it is a range gun, there is no reason that would require FFP, other than user preference. This will save you a couple of hundred dollars and may help you get into better glass, or fund a case of FGMM ammo. The PST SFP 6-24 would be an excellent option for this and will save 200 bones. Enough for a case of ammo from palmetto state armory.

i would go scope first, you really cant shoot a rifle with out one lol and the stock scope will shoot alright