• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Please help w/ Redding body die and shoulder bump

srzbiznz

Private
Minuteman
Dec 5, 2011
Hey guys I am having trouble with setting up my Redding body die to bump my shoulder back. I have tried setting it up in my Forster Co-Ax and I raised the ram all the way up and screwed the die down till it touched the shell holder. I tried running a brass through and it felt like the brass was going to get stuck in the die. It took a lot of force to remove the brass from the die. Am I doing something wrong? Also it didn't seem to bump the shoulder back.....maybe a thou if anything. I am using a Hornady comparator to measure the shoulder. Thanks.

Re: Please help w/ Redding body die and shoulder bump

Okay so I tried bumping the shoulder back from an unfired case and the case slid into the die without much resistance and the most shoulder bump I could get was at 1.6210 before the die bottomed out on the shell holder. I was aiming for 1.6210 as my shoulder length because my fired cases came out of the chamber at 1.6240. Does that sound about right or am I doing something wrong?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Srzbiznz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Okay so I tried bumping the shoulder back from an unfired case and the case slid into the die without much resistance and the most shoulder bump I could get was at 1.6210 before the die bottomed out on the shell holder. I was aiming for 1.6210 as my shoulder length because my fired cases came out of the chamber at 1.6240. Does that sound about right or am I doing something wrong? </div></div>

For bolt guns, .001"-.002" of shoulder setback is fine. You really just want the sized case to chamber with the slightest amount of resistent--a snugness if you will.

I can go 2-4 cycles without having to worry about shoulder bumps for my various calibers, so I can get away with neck sizing only.

For gas guns, or maybe critical competitions, where you you need a bit more wiggle room and have to have a round chamber, .002"-.004" should be fine.

We're really not talking about a significant amount of sizing, to be sure.

The less you size, the less case stretching you'll have.

Chris

Thanks for the info Chris!

What I do to size the brass and is somewhere around .002 shoulder bump is:

I spray lube on all fired cases. I then run it through the die and then check it in my chamber. I keep lowering the die until the brass goes in my chamber with no resistance. I set it there and go. I do this for a 308 and 300 WSM.

My WSM has to be body sized everytime or the brass will not go in my gun when it is loaded.

I think the issue here is lack of case lube...

Use Hornady OneShot, use Rob's plastic bag and cardboard box method. Since switching to that lube and method I've had zero issues with lube denting necks. The RCBS lube sucks, dented necks constantly unless applied with a sponge pad which takes forever.

Rich

Thanks for the replies guys! I'll try it out and yes I do use case lube.... I use imperial wax and I am still afraid to shove the brass all the way into the Die! it takes A LOT of force to remove it, even with the Co-Ax's "mechanical advantage".