• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

please recomend !!!! or come and have a pop!

dave338

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 1, 2009
EU
please recomend the best for long/extrem hunting .416/.408/.50 or the .460 steyr,
this .460 looks good because it uses .458 dia bullets lots of choice.
has anyone used any of these for hunting ?
cheers

Re: please recomend !!!!

hunt anything from rabbits to red deer and have access to 2500m

dont be silly now
have you used any of the large cals for hunting ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dave338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">please recomend the best for long/extrem hunting .416/.408/.50 or the .460 steyr,
this .460 looks good because it uses .458 dia bullets lots of choice.
has anyone used any of these for hunting ?
cheers </div></div>

If you are going to use these calibers for hunting animals why don't you just run over them with your car and save some meat.

I thought I was bad about wanting to shoot too far! Dude there is a difference between hunting and shooting. Which one are you wanting to do, shoot or hunt?

ah well seems you never hunt with more than a bb gun!
i us .338lap for distance and .458lott for bush hunting , so long as you use correct bullet there is no more significant damage than a .308
"if you have never seen or done perhaps you should be open to new experiences"

yes it is great fun !
but it definatly does not blow anything up past 1000m
dont forget as well as being safe, shooting should be fun.
and unless you can get repetable accurate results at the range you want then dont pull the trigger on any fluffy target

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dag1055</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Who has the popcorn????</div></div>

make mine buttered................

troll.jpg

i get it your all vegetarian tree huggers
confused.gif

there is pics on here of baddies shot at over 1000m and rousing comments,and some plain sick!
but you have a problem with shooting an animal at same distance?

dave are you serious man, thats a pretty ridiculous question. You have got to be one of those people who just like to ask random ass questions arent you,

but this is gonna get interesting and i think ill stay a while

all i wanted to know was if anyone has got experience of hunting with heavy cals 416/408/460 etc at 1000m or more whats the prob with that

have you read the comments that go with those pics!

at 1000m or more animals dont explode[with normal bullets]
your own us varmint club has members shooting vermin with .50 at over 1500m so i know i am not alone in extreme distance hunting

Do you only shoot paper?
if you hunt whats your max distance?

yes the uk has limits , but the way the system works ,is you apply for a cal for specific purpose, so long as you can prove your reason , and you get along with your local police you get it.
i have 338lap ,458 and 30 for deer,
you apply for cal remember so a 30 bullet stuck in a 50 case is still a .30
also if you change the cal to metric like europe that sometimes confuses them ,
a .460 steyr could be bought if you had a slot for .458
i also use a H&KM23 with suppressor for dispatching deer,
look that up , pistols banned in the uk?
know the law,then use it.not homeoffice guidence like the police use

<span style="font-weight: bold">i have 338lap ,458 and 30 for deer,
you apply for cal remember so a 30 bullet stuck in a 50 case is still a .30
also if you change the cal to metric like europe that sometimes confuses them ,</span>

Classic post.

this is getting a little ridiculous dave338, honestly whats the furthest shot with that HK Mk23 that you have used to "dispatch" a deer? This answer oughta be good

Only a 460 Steyr? I guess if you don't want to ruin any meat and you keep good shot placement it's an acceptable deer rifle. However, given how weather and hunting conditions can change, I never hunt with anything less than my NTW-20

Sure, I suffer from partially detached retinas from the recoil, but with a rifle like that I only have to get within a few feet before the HE timed round goes off and dresses the animal for me as well

look up the varmint hunter magazine, they have a photo page of shooters , there is normally a 50 shooter there

crazydog and deadly0311
so far ive shot red deer at 1300yards with sako 338lap no meat damage small hole in small hole out .300gn bullets from lutz moller.
and used the 458 lott with 500gn barns at 230yards again nothing more than standered 308 re meat damage.

and sorry should have explained the dispatching deer thing , over here thats means finishing off an already wounded animal eg road accidents etc i get called by police and rspca to shoot them at the road side.,
i only refered to the pistol to show the fact ,that if you know the law here you can get a lot more firearms than you think, pistols have been banned here for years

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dave338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">all i wanted to know was if anyone has got experience of hunting with heavy cals 416/408/460 etc at 1000m or more whats the prob with that

have you read the comments that go with those pics!

at 1000m or more animals dont explode[with normal bullets]
your own us varmint club has members shooting vermin with .50 at over 1500m so i know i am not alone in extreme distance hunting

Do you only shoot paper?
if you hunt whats your max distance? </div></div>

The only thing I know of that is hunted at greater than a 1000 yards is another human. I don't hunt them, unless they piss me off.

fair enough ,each to there own
Thanks to everyone for all comments
At least no one can shoot me over here if i pissed em off cheers,

One last thing has the edm windrunner got a bad rep over there? Y/n

Never tried that distance or calibers on game.
There are plenty here in Montana that do it. Some think they can do it and give longrange hunting a bad name. Good luck...
Make it look profesional.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dag1055</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Who has the popcorn????</div></div>

make mine buttered................ </div></div>

Hold the salt on mine please. I am watching my blood pressure and all you know.
grin.gif

Why be so hard on the guy, all he did was ask for advice on what cal you would use for extreme distance, we should comend him for finding ways to own & use firearms where he lives, we ourselves might be asking him for advice soon enough, sometimes it baffles me how quik we are to jump all over someone else for not doing everything the way we do it, or the way we think it should be done, if he wants to shoot at rabbits with a 416 BARRETT past 1500yds then all the power to him, the same guys that poke fun at him for wanting to shoot a rabbit at long range are probably the same guys jumping around and high fiving there buddies when they shoot a rock or steel at that distance, oh yeah i'd go with the CHEYTAC..

Re: please recomend !!!! or come and have a pop!

Dave,

How on earth does your firearms officer allow you calibers like what your asking about ?

Aint digging you out or anything but interested because mine ( firearms officer ) would just laugh in my face if I asked him about those sort of platforms.

Where abouts are you in UK, Scottish highlands ? Or do you have access to Military ranges.

Didnt think there was even any 1200-1500m ranges left at Bisley now due to H&S rules ? Certainly shoot to 1200 there.

Just didnt think those sort of calibers are availble for Deer managment here, certainly not where Im from anyway.

Interested to hear from you regards to shooting 'larger' platforms like that.

cheers for some positive response
Ill try to answer some of these questions

The biggest thing to know is the law ! Not homeoffice guidlines they dont stand up in court,

First if you want to shoot just target join the fcsauk everything up to .50 on military ranges

secondly, if you want to shoot fluffy target you will have to get a bit of ground , permission is hard to come by i know but keep trying,
There is no maximum cal for deer stalking only minimum.
For years now ive used 338lap and 458lott for deer , ive had lots of guns and facs ,, its an open ticket .
You have to present your case for each cal , know your stuff dont bluff
You could say you wanted a338 for deer on the hill , police says oh thats to big , you say forestry commissiom scotland bought 338 for all hill mamagers , job done
Try when applying to forget about the cartrige case think only of the bullet dia, oh i need a heavy gun to shoot in a new plantation somthing that will not be deflected by twigs etc
Lots of uk deer stalkers have 375 or 416 , just dont say its stuck on top of 50 case.
Get out your cartriges of the world book and cross ref european /british dia bullets with current us and wild cats

If you ask for a thirty cal on your ticket , go to your book and count how many there are , youll need more than two hands that gives you the option of 30m1 carbine or a 30-338lapmag

If you want a 338 apply for it in metric like all european cals and point out those 338 that are low powered not lap mag

For the 50 you will need a serious bit of land and you will have to have a good case togther when appllying, if you are a novice shooter or on your first fac or not going though loads of ammo on your ticket forget it
Where in the uk are you ?
Ill try to answer specific qs if you have any
Looking at the US i dont think it will be long before they get strangled in red paper

How would you handle a 510 Whisper? Since it's wildcatted from a 338 LM case, it's 50 cal, but it's low powered compared to other things.

i dont think its deer legal in scotland

for england
For all deer of any species - a minimum calibre of .240 and minimum muzzle energy of 1,700 foot pounds is the legal requirement.

for scotland
For all deer of any species - the bullet must weigh at least 100 grains AND have a minimum muzzle velocity of 2,450 feet per second AND a minimum muzzle energy of 1,750 foot pounds.

so long as you have the ground i would build the case around the need for suppression because of local houses/game noise at work act
because sub sonics bounce like rubber balls scotland is probably the only safe place to use it

and dont call it a 50
510 covers a couple of 500s nitro loadings

Don't worry about people who don't hunt and only shoot paper and want to tell you how to hunt. go for it. If you kill it at a mile or 100 yards it's still dead. I've seen people wound deer at 70 yards and some guys have had 1600 yard one shot kills. I perfer to shoot them at a long ways off. Check out longrangehunting.com Enjoy and post some picks.........

"permission is hard to come by i know but keep trying,
There is no maximum cal for deer stalking only minimum."

Dont I know, only asked my F.O. and he smirked then laughed !

"You have to present your case for each cal , know your stuff dont bluff
You could say you wanted a338 for deer on the hill , police says oh thats to big , you say forestry commissiom scotland bought 338 for all hill mamagers , job done"

South Essex aint Scotland though !

"Lots of uk deer stalkers have 375 or 416 , just dont say its stuck on top of 50 case.
Get out your cartriges of the world book and cross ref european /british dia bullets with current us and wild cats"

My local Amoury, wouldnt even know what a 375 looks like ! come on, you gotta remember that most 'southern' amouries only stock for Shotguns - 22lr maybe .223 no more, where abouts are you Dave ?

"For the 50 you will need a serious bit of land and you will have to have a good case togther when appllying, if you are a novice shooter or on your first fac or not going though loads of ammo on your ticket forget it
Where in the uk are you ?"

South Essex originally but based in France at mo, but would like to be fully versed to my rights when - if I do return. Just in middle of purchase of a Roedale 6.5 x 47L and will want to bring it home as and when, have plans for a 338 sometime soon in the future, again, wanna bring it home with me and not fall foul of restrictive UK laws.

"Ill try to answer specific qs if you have any" will PM you if ok ?

"Looking at the US i dont think it will be long before they get strangled in red paper "

reading between the lines, ie supply of ammo - AR restrictions, looks like its already begun......watch out gents, may happen sooner than you think or am I mis-judging what Im reading on several forums ?

Out.

None of this weak knee stuff......

Use a JDAM and it is game on...........

Rabbits at 2500m
crazy.gif

you are one hell of a shot or that is a big bunny.

i am in berkshire,
i mainly use the "gun shop" cathill barnet , london,
or global rifle,
try bisley for target shooting , are you a member of a club , if not join nra or fcsa if you want a big gun ,
loads of places to buy a day stalking at resonable money, try reddeer outdoors , tim spicer is a good bloke
remember the only place to shoot target with 338 is a mod field firing range

chiller
do you think thats big enough, dont you have a daisy cutter in the back room