• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Please recommend a good rifle for a noob

alee18

Private
Minuteman
Feb 8, 2012
AZ
Hello SH,

I'm finally making my first step getting into long range shooting. I have never owned a bolt action rifle or used magnified rifle scope. After hours of research I picked up a 3-9x40 Bushnell Elite model E3940, which is supposed to be an improved version of Elite 4200.

Now I need a rifle to pair with the scope. <span style="font-weight: bold">Im strongly leaning towards .223 over any other caliber, because of ammo cost.</span> I figured since Im new to this game I need to fire at least couple K rounds to gain some experience behind scope and trigger time with bolt rifle. Later on I can upgrade to larger caliber such as .308 or larger.

I have read that Savage Axis is the best rifle for the money, can be found for around $250 new. <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-style: italic">Will you guys all agree with that or are there some other rifle I should consider within that price range? </span></span>

Re: Please recommend a good rifle for a noob

skip the axis and buy the stephens 200, its fully up-gradable so you could throw money at it whenever you can afford to. first buy a timney trigger for about 100 bucks which makes shooting very easy then upgrade the stock when you see fit(boyds makes drop in for it). i would go higher magnification on a .223 but that's because its a varmint gun and they are hard to see out there. depending on your local laws you may not be able to hunt with a .223 and that may be a deal breaker depending on your intentions. how long range do you mean? if your planning on far with a .223 you'll need atleast a 1:9 twist to stabilize the heavy bullets. also you would save money and gain alot of accuracy through reloading your own bullets. if you dont reload or plan to stick with the .223 and .308

Not in that price range, but you can't go wrong with a Tikka T3. I have one in .223 and it's a great rifle for the money. Paul.
smile.gif

Tikka's are wicked guns for a very competitive price

Agree with the above. I also have a Tikka T3 varmint in .223 Rem. I love it, worth checking out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tylerw02</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Use the search.
</div></div>

I've been looking online, I can't find a search rifle anywhere.

I also recommend a Savage or Stevens with the barrel nut in 223, not the cheaper Axis. With the other two you can upgrade to a better barrel or even change to a 308 or 260 with just cheap easy swaps. They are relatively cheap used at Cabelas, seen them as low as $299.00 in Cabelas on the used rack or in the For Sale section on here if you aren't in a hurry and shop around a bit. You can also do your own barrel changes at home with a few tools which also adds a bit of satisfaction if you like doing things yourself.

The 223 can even be used out to extended distances after you master close up. Great round, cheap to shoot and reload for and is very accurate. My buddy has been playing with his 223 out to 1000 yards and it shoots great after a bit of load development.

The scope you picked will work but but you'll probably find you'll need a bit more for farther out. Those targets can look mighty small thru a low power scope. Maybe look for one of the SS 10X, 12X or 16X to upgrade to as you're extending your range and skills.

Shooting and hitting a small target at extended distances is fun but can also be frustrating at first. It takes time and no substitute for quality practice. Lots of good threads on here about the various aspects involved in hitting what you are aiming at. Be nice if you could find someone near you to help speed up the process learning how to get started in the right direction.

Have fun, it's a great learning experience.

Topstrap

+1 for the Savage or Stevens rifle! I have a Stevens that I rebarreled in .308 great rifles for the money. I agree with Topstrap on the scope as well. I have never owned an SS but have read tons of great reviews on them!

cant beat remington 700 for upgrading when you get better and learn what you like and diss like.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dieselgeek</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tylerw02</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Use the search.
</div></div>

I've been looking online, I can't find a search rifle anywhere. </div></div>

LOL

Stevens or savage with a barrel nut is about the best starting point for anyone under 500-600, now if you want to shop around and wait little i've seen used Remington 700 sps tacticals for as little as 400

You can't go wrong with the Tikka T3 I have bought at least 6 and every one has been a real shooter that can rival my many custom builds for a small fraction of the cost.

Sounds good I will look into mentioned rifles above, whats the retail on those search rifles?
wink.gif

I wasn't planning to go past about 400 yards for a while until I get the basics down. I'm not even sure if my local outdoor range has anything past 300 yards. Most likely I wont be hunting with this rifle anytime soon, but thats something I would like to graduate to in the future "maybe 6 months or a year".

Has anyone used or heard anything about Pentax® Gameseeker 5X 3-15x50 scope? I found them on sale currently for $100 shipped compared to the regular retail price of $240. Is this scope worth the money? or should I just hold on to my bushnell Elite E3940 model.

Not sure what your budget is and sure someone with more experience will chime in here soon. But optics are one thing you certainly DO NOT want to go cheap on. I am not bashing this Pentax scope just saying you may want to spend a little more. The Super Sniper scopes are a great choice and can be had for around $300 I think.

Agreed, don't cheap out on scopes, spend a lot of money up front so you don't have to worry about it in the long run, I'd avoid the Pentax. depending on your budget, I would go with the super sniper fixed zoom scopes, the falcon menace, vortex viper and viper PST scopes, or Weaver tactical, all these are bellow $1000 dollars and at different price ranges.

My budget on my first rifle is about $250-350(Maybe 400ish if I can really get something much better for that extra few bucks,) and Scope $150-250 (not including rings/bases), max $300 on scope same deal as with rifle.

Also I dont see a point buying a $250-300 rifle, then replacing, trigger and/or stock, barrel adding up extra few $$$ right after. I read that Savage Axis comes with really heavy trigger pull weight around 5-7lbs, but there is a way to reduce the weight down to 2-3lbs by simply replacing or cutting down a coil of the trigger spring. "Overall this is very good rifle for the price". Now many of you said Stevens 200 is a better choice, due to more accessories and parts available for this rifle... I'm not a huge fan of grey stock, which means that I will have to buy a new stock adding more $... Tikka T3 sure looks good, but a little more than what I wanted to spend on my first bolt rifle in .223.

So basically you guys are saying that Im better off with my Elite E3940 3-9x40 rather than Pentax Gameseeker 5X 3-15x50 scope even for half the cost? I mean normally I wouldn't even consider a high power scope for $100, but thats the sale price, normally sells for $240 everywhere else, retail is even higher.

With your budget skip the Axis, find someone who still has Stevens 200s (Buds does). It'll still be an accurate well built rifle, and unlike the Axis there are aftermarket options.

I'm sure others who are truely expierenced will agreed with me. The scope is equal to or IMO more important than the rifle. You can't get your rifles true potential without a good piece of glass. Don't skimp on the glass and get something that's good quality in your price range.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: alee18</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My budget on my first rifle is about $250-350(Maybe 400ish if I can really get something much better for that extra few bucks,) and Scope $150-250 (not including rings/bases), max $300 on scope same deal as with rifle.

Also I dont see a point buying a $250-300 rifle, then replacing, trigger and/or stock, barrel adding up extra few $$$ right after. I read that Savage Axis comes with really heavy trigger pull weight around 5-7lbs, but there is a way to reduce the weight down to 2-3lbs by simply replacing or cutting down a coil of the trigger spring. "Overall this is very good rifle for the price". Now many of you said Stevens 200 is a better choice, due to more accessories and parts available for this rifle... I'm not a huge fan of grey stock, which means that I will have to buy a new stock adding more $... Tikka T3 sure looks good, but a little more than what I wanted to spend on my first bolt rifle in .223.

So basically you guys are saying that Im better off with my Elite E3940 3-9x40 rather than Pentax Gameseeker 5X 3-15x50 scope even for half the cost? I mean normally I wouldn't even consider a high power scope for $100, but thats the sale price, normally sells for $240 everywhere else, retail is even higher.

</div></div>

I hate the grey stock on the stevens rifles too! I currently have a new stock on its way. But I lived with the grey ugly thing for quite a while. I reshaped it a bit with bondo then painted with krylon. A little bit of creativity will go a long way!

As for optics could you sell the bushnell and maybe have a few extra bucks to spend? I was in your place not too long ago trying to save as much money as possible, but the long range game usually isn't a very cheap place most of the time..

+1000 for the stevens/savage 110 over the edge...

A can of spray paint fixes the gray until you buy a new stock. The rifle in that form will be plenty to get you shooting. Get the Pentax for $100 if you must, but realize you'll be selling it quickly to get something nicer.

You can find the Stevens for $300 easily, $250 if you really spend some time and search for a used one. That leaves you $400 for a scope, which is how you should look at your split.

There are a lot of good recommendations of scopes floating around here from $250-450. Read some of them and determine what you want.

You will not be happy with a factory rifle for very long at all getting into precision shooting.

I think you made a great choice starting with 223.

What do you guys think about Savage 11 without accu-trigger/accu-stock like this model, except no scope included. http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/11FCXP3

How much would you pay for this one in used condition and is it alot better than Stevens 200? Thanks

i would recomend the REM 700 XCR LONG RANGE. comes in 223 and has 1 in 9 twist. stainless with black finnish on top to keep her nice after a rain. aka weather resistent. little expencive for you maby but worth every penny.

Do you guys think that Remington 700 VTR 223 like new condition is a steal at $500 or can I find a better rifle at this price? LMK asap found this guy locally. Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: alee18</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What do you guys think about Savage 11 without accu-trigger/accu-stock like this model, except no scope included. http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/11FCXP3

How much would you pay for this one in used condition and is it alot better than Stevens 200? Thanks </div></div>

If your willing to spend that much on the savage 11, you might want to look at the rem 700 sps-varmint.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Penner308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Today I bought a Savage 308, first bolt action I've ever owned. I want to tac it out any suggestions?
</div></div>

shoot it as is for a year, read, learn, shoot some more, don't ask/listen to any one on the net telling you what "you" need

educate yourself to find out

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 105amatt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A man with a gun is a citizen, a man without a gun is a subject. </div></div>

a woman with a gun is just hot

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: George63</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Penner308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Today I bought a Savage 308, first bolt action I've ever owned. I want to tac it out any suggestions?
</div></div>

shoot it as is for a year, read, learn, shoot some more, don't ask/listen to any one on the net telling you what "you" need

educate yourself to find out </div></div>

i like this response... well put

Savage, Remington and tika all make great products.

Remingtons have the most aftermarket support

Savages are great value

Tika, aka sako, has a killer Acton, yet to see one not shoot. But, there's little after market support

The all have their quarks, find something you can grow into. I think most will tell you the cheapest route, in precision shooting, is rarely the cheapest. If you factor in all the losses involved in upgrading its ALWAYS cheaper to do it right the first time. And if things don't work out, you have better resale

Just an update... I have been looking for a Model 10 or Stevens 200 for a while could find a deal, so ended up picking up a Savage Axis .223 in like new condition locally for $325 that came equipped with some crappy rings, buttler creek caps and 6-24x50 Vortex Crossfire scope (In the box, in like new condition as well). I sold the scope/rings right away for $150. So ended up paying $175 for the rifle it self.

Added my 3-9x40 Bushnell Elite with Burris Sinature Zee rings on factory bases "aluminum", I believe they are weaver. Would you recommend me to swap them for steel ASAP, since the rings are steel?